Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frequent washers - a question for you!

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Default Frequent washers - a question for you!

For those of us that wash - daily, 2-3 times a week or what some members here would consider "frequent":
    I have a question.
    And it may be kind of silly.
    Do you notice that your hair behaves better on wash day vs. the days you don't wash?
    Is wash day a good hair day for you? If so, did washing more regularly improve your hair or become the reason to wash more frequently?

My hair, on wash day, is tangle free for the most part. I have some areas that are just naturally very kinky and dry and tangle on themselves no matter what but for the most part my hair is tangle free. It behaves, it seems to have some weight to it, and generally just looks a lot nicer and feels nicer too. Oh and my waves look so much nicer too! And i see very little damage. My hair just looks really good and healthy.

Day 3 and 4 hair, is anything but. The longer I stretch washes, my hair starts to feel a lot more dry and tangled, becomes a lot harder to manage and seems to collect a lot more lint and dust. I also for some reason notice a lot more breakage and "bent" ends, especially in the areas that are tangly the most often. This is the case whether I use cones or not - so I have already tried the whole stopping build up, I was cone free for a year and did not see a difference. Now since I have SD, washing more frequently makes my scalp happy too so washing more frequently would not be a issue for me, but I wonder for those of us that do wash more frequently, if you notice a difference like I do between wash and non-wash days.

I am sure it has something to do with moisture. However oiling, and sealing with a silicone-y serum does not seem to help either. If i try to oil on the in between days, on dry hair, it feels better but then it looks stringy and dirty and then I might as well wash again. I would try LCO/LOC but im afraid of looking stringy.

Its like, day one hair is hair I want every day, but I am lazy and want to stretch my washes!
    Does anyone else deal with this? Is it porosity? Should I become a frequent washer like the rest of ya?
    Currently I wash every 2-3 days, but washing every other day might be the better option...

---APL----BSL---WL---HIP---TBL---
    Lady Nott, Horse Mistress of the Witching Hour in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Frequent washers - a question for you!

I wash at night, normally every day. If I go longer than that between washes, day 2 hair acts drier and scalp can begin to itchier. That's one reason I wash daily- my hair is just better behaved on day one, and my scalp is happier. Of course I have to go heavy on moisture to make up for it.

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

My hair is definitely better on wash day, and even at every other day washing I was finding it was acting up, so I've decided to make every day wash day Hair is SO much happier!

My hair builds up so incredibly fast - my best guess is that over a decade of henna has slammed my cuticle pretty tightly shut so nothing gets in under there, just sits on top. On top of that, my sebum is really waxy - so even if I haven't got product buildup I get sebum buildup. It results in piecey yet cobwebby tangles, and a greasy look even though I use no oils or leave-ins. Actually, I find even rinse-out conditioners with oils in the ingredient list are too much for my strands.

Daily S&C seems to keep it at its best - at least for the time being. My hair air dries really quickly, so I don't have the headache of a long drying time to contend with. I'm also not growing any longer than TBL, so 'regular' babying seems to suffice as opposed to 'antique lace' babying
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

In short, yes my wash day hair is a good hair day hair.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by school of fish View Post
    My hair is definitely better on wash day, and even at every other day washing I was finding it was acting up, so I've decided to make every day wash day Hair is SO much happier!

My hair builds up so incredibly fast - my best guess is that over a decade of henna has slammed my cuticle pretty tightly shut so nothing gets in under there, just sits on top. On top of that, my sebum is really waxy - so even if I haven't got product buildup I get sebum buildup. It results in piecey yet cobwebby tangles, and a greasy look even though I use no oils or leave-ins. Actually, I find even rinse-out conditioners with oils in the ingredient list are too much for my strands.

Daily S&C seems to keep it at its best - at least for the time being. My hair air dries really quickly, so I don't have the headache of a long drying time to contend with. I'm also not growing any longer than TBL, so 'regular' babying seems to suffice as opposed to 'antique lace' babying
    My sebum is really waxy too! I always wondered about that, never really thought too deeply about it but I wonder if that's why I get so tangled! Waxy and salty. If I work out, I NEED a wash, because my sweat / oil makes my hair rock hard.

Length
    20/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Yes wash day (or rather after I wake up since I wash my hair at night) is always my best hair day. Once I sleep on it dry, it has lofty opinions, as in my wirey hairs want to be lofty. My scalp is pretty greasy day two, and I usually wash it day three.
    I am Galvatron … you have no right to change what I am!

Length
    SL+/40/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Wash day is my happiest hair day as well. I wash twice a week, so it's okay day 3, but then but starts to get 'floppy' and won't stay up. Ends start to feel dryish, and roots showing grease. I could push another day with careful styling, but I'm a fan of wash when you need/want to.

Length
    HL/TBL+/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccalaurenxx View Post
    My sebum is really waxy too! I always wondered about that, never really thought too deeply about it but I wonder if that's why I get so tangled! Waxy and salty. If I work out, I NEED a wash, because my sweat / oil makes my hair rock hard.
    Me too, waxy and salty both. I'm a dancer, so sweat is a constant reality for me. What I get is 2 or 3 strands sticking together as if they have dried glue on them - tiny little microtangles of 'dried glue' strands. Water rinsing just doesn't seem to be enough to cut through the waxiness, and CO washing helps a bit but not enough. If I try to stretch any length of time the waxiness of the sebum seems to attract lint which worsens the tangles. My hair is otherwise super silky and slippery.
    ▪daily washing▪monthly trimming▪top-down detangling▪sulfate shampoo down to the ends▪coney conditioner up to the roots▪henna and hibiscus▪worn down and loose on the regular▪

Length
    Chin/Waist/Butt
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Wash day hair is best for wearing hair done, everything looks full and straight and my scalp feels good. Second day hair is best for wearing up (has a bit more grip and doesn't slip out of updos so easily)

|| 6 monthly trims since July 2015 || Finger combing since March 2017 || Combating
    thin fine hair & excessive shedding || Goal: buttcrack with blunt hem ||

squirrels in my pants lillielil's Avatar
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I'm with lizardspots on this one. Wash day is good for wearing down. Day 2 is good for wearing up. I only recently had a reliable Day 2 - my oily scalp had me stuck on daily washes for the longest time. Day 3, when it happens, calls for dry shampoo and avoiding mirrors.
    Does the brain control you, or are you controlling the brain?