Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does some hair just not grow beyond APL?

Length
    6/10/15
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Unhappy Does some hair just not grow beyond APL?

I've had fine, shoulder length hair my whole life. My mum always gave me bob haircuts, and it just never seemed to grow beyond the middle of my shoulder blades. And by the time it even reached that length the straggly ends looked more like red smoke than hair. For a long time it was probably because I was messing around with lots of chemical dyes and bleach, but now I'm worried that maybe that's just the predetermined length my hair grows to. Is that a thing?

So my question- any fine haired ladies have similar experiences? Does anyone have any tips/superfoods I could try to encourage my hair to grow? My sisters have effortlessly been able to grow waist length hair their whole lives (I swear it grows six inches a month!), and I want in on it!

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my hair now, at its longest and thickest (cheating slightly because I'm looking up, it usually sits a few inches above this). I think it's still not even APL length?

Default Re: Does some hair just not grow beyond APL?

I'm pretty sure that's BSL. If your head is tilted back your prolly APL now

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    ~sldr/18/22-25
    Type
    2a/F/ii

PennyPatrick, your hair looks like it is at APL. If you are healthy and have a healthy lifestyle, you should be able to grow out your hair past APL. Could it be that you're doing damaging things to your hair that are making it break as fast as it grows once it gets to APL. Maybe try wearing it up more and being more gentle with it (such as using a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle, not ripping a brush through your hair, not balling your hair up on top of your head when you are washing it).

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It is possible to have a short terminal length, but the odds are in favor of being able to grow to waist length and beyond. To avoid thin, scraggly ends, do a small trim on a regular basis. Example, trim 1/2 inch every 3-4 months.

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Huh--you should be able to grow your hair to at least waist length, especially since your sisters can get to waist-length with no problem. What exactly are you doing, aside from cutting the dye? Braids and buns can help a lot with preserving length; most people reach a false terminal at APL or BSL because they leave it down all the time instead of braiding it or putting it up.

Also, what's your nutrition like? Improving your nutrition can help a lot by making your hair stronger and more resilient, as well as helping its growth rate. Stinging nettle (urtica dioica) has been used for centuries to improve hair growth and quality.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Why don't you tell us a little bit about your routine, so that we can pinpoint what might be giving you damage and creating a false terminal length? How often do you wash your hair, how do you detangle, what products do you use, do you wear it up or down, etc?

Length
    6/10/15
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Thanks for all your advice.

A bit about my current routine:
    I'm a very healthy eater - I'm vegan, but I'm aware of getting all my essential proteins. I don't wear my hair up that often (I thought that damaged it?), but if I do, I just twist it into a bun on top of my head and secure it with a bobby pin (it's that fine I can do that!). Should I be wearing it up/braiding it more?

I don't use any heat on it, and I brush with a tangle teaser. I shampoo and condition it almost every day though to stop it getting greasy, which I'm starting to think is a bad thing after reading some of the CO posts on here.

I'm looking into Stinging Nettle now, thank you Sharysa!

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Post Re: Does some hair just not grow beyond APL?

Just a quick note but I think your hair isn't even near terminal length! Ends look so thick. I used to think my terminal length was just below shoulders but once I stopped bleaching, it grew to tailbone. And it seems like even TBL isn't my terminal. I didn't have any tricks really, just shampoo and conditioner every other day, trim once a year (max!) and keeping hair up once it got long enough. Just try to leave your hair alone (I know it's not easy) and I promise, your hair will grow a lot longer!
    From shoulder length to almost classic. Cut my hair back to shoulder length in Aug 2018. Growing again

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

I have very fine hair which always found its terminal length at just about waist length, until I stopped taking it for granted and started taking better care of it. Make sure you are using a very gentle shampoo (sulfate free).Stretching your washes would help, as would wearing it up. A satin sleep cap or pillowcase or pillowcase might help too. There are lots of small things to help protect the growth that don't seem like that big of a deal, but put all together and they add up. I am vegan too, and I've been able to get past what I thought was my terminal length. I think it's very unlikely that APL is your terminal. Some of us really have to work a little harder than others. It's not fair, but it's reality.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

That looks like it's between APL & BSL. Pretty nice going! Don't despair. My hair's F too and I've grown to almost TBL (within an inch), then had it cut back to hip, then waist, then had it layered again (like it used to be). There are no limits to F hair, is what I'm saying.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)