Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pin Curled Hair but now What?

Length
    20"/35"/40"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Pin Curled Hair but now What?

I think it might be slightly damaging because it's alcohol based but I use Lottabody setting lotion when I pincurl and my hair lasts 3 days.
    I have tailbone length hair and on the first day it's super curly but I brush it out. I spend like 5 mins brushing after I take it out to shape it nicely
    on the second day, it's usually a slightly looser curl
    and by the third it's a really nice wave.

I usually just wrap with a silk scarf to sleep.
    Or I'll repin but in larger sections.
    Buns help the curl too.

)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/26/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I find my curls last best if I haven't used any cones, I use a shea butter coconut oil balm on the ends, just a tiny amount tho! I pin my hair into 5 -6 giant pincurls on the top of my head so I can sleep, I usually don't even comb after washing, just put the balm on the ends, and pin it, I use what are called roller clips, (they're like bobby pins on steroids) and 1 or 2 will hold each curl securely. My hair looks pretty insane in the morning, but it's ok After that I wrap it up in a big bun right on top of my head for sleeping. Take it down, still some fullness and curls on the ends. I alternate between shampooing and co-washing, that works best for my scalp, and my curls usually last 3 days, I'd love to stretch that out longer, but considering that I used to wash every day I think this is fine too.

Forgot to add that I often don't do more than fingercomb between washings, but I'll usually carefully comb right before I wash when my hair is dry, I haven't owned a brush for years. I'm not noticing any extra shedding.
    Last edited by jillosity; October 13th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

CurlMonster, that makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you
    She foots it ever fair and young, Her locks are tied in haste,
    And one is o’er her shoulder flung, And hangs below her waist

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by stachelbeere View Post
    i've been reading this thread and i have a question: what do you use to make the pincurls? bobby pins? amish type pins? or special clips? i went to bed with my hair pinned up but i think i wil have several dents from the way i pinned my hair. how do i avoid this?
    Hi stachelbeere, I've only used bobby pins. I never tried the curl clips. Sounds interesting. I might use Amish pins if say doing 3 bun curls, one on each side and one in back. I start these closes to scalp with damp hair and form bun. Do these high up on head and it won't be uncomfortable for sleeping. This is a super fast way of getting some curl.

What I usually do is this: when hair is still damp after washing and detangled have a spray bottle handy to keep it damp, I just section off a small amount of hair and I start from bottom being careful to get all the ends wrapped up and keep twirling it to the top and pin. Keeping those ends wet really helps to get them to form start of curl. Some people like to use a hair gel. I usually only use one pin per curl. I do roughly the same amount of curls on each side. With a little practice, I find I can do it really fast. Then finish off back curls. I keep a wide toothy comb handy in case I run into a tangle.
    When I wake up I have a massive amount of curl. Not sure about dents unless you're not doing it when hair is damp or taking uneven amounts of hair to curl. It doesn't have to be an exact science but just try to make each curl about the same size. Perhaps that could help. Let me know how you make out

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jillosity View Post
    I find my curls last best if I haven't used any cones, I use a shea butter coconut oil balm on the ends, just a tiny amount tho! I pin my hair into 5 -6 giant pincurls on the top of my head so I can sleep, I usually don't even comb after washing, just put the balm on the ends, and pin it, I use what are called roller clips, (they're like bobby pins on steroids) and 1 or 2 will hold each curl securely. My hair looks pretty insane in the morning, but it's ok After that I wrap it up in a big bun right on top of my head for sleeping. Take it down, still some fullness and curls on the ends. I alternate between shampooing and co-washing, that works best for my scalp, and my curls usually last 3 days, I'd love to stretch that out longer, but considering that I used to wash every day I think this is fine too.

Forgot to add that I often don't do more than fingercomb between washings, but I'll usually carefully comb right before I wash when my hair is dry, I haven't owned a brush for years. I'm not noticing any extra shedding.
    Next time I curl I'm going to just arrange with fingers, no brush or comb as others have suggested. I get curl for 3 days, too.
    Learn something new every day. Never heard of roller clips. Will have to check those out.
    The balm you use sounds good.

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Pigfarts, your hair must look amazing, curled or not being tailbone length. I can't wait till mine gets to that length