Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get all the oil out following oil soak using only indian herbs?

Length
    23.5/33/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default how to get all the oil out following oil soak using only indian herbs?

I stopped my weekly coconut oil soaks when I quit using shampoo because I simply cannot remove all the oil from my hair using shikaki, aritha and amla. Its effective after light oiling though.

My hair is less frizzy after I switched to herbs.but I miss my oil soaks?

HOw do you remove oil only with the indian herbs? pls suggest
    TIA
    busy mom

Default Re: how to get all the oil out following oil soak using only indian herbs?

I oil my hair heavily before washing it every time and I rarely use shampoo. I co wash instead with no cone conditioners. I do use natural shampoos now and then to remove buildup.. I tried Indian herbs for a while and they were extremely drying on my course semi curly hair so I stoed using them, but I assume they remove oil quite well.. Maybe just use a bit more of them or do it twice.. I used to brew them in hot water then wash with the liquid and that was too drying.. So just tweak your routine and see what happens.. Let us know what worked for u best of luck

Default Re: how to get all the oil out following oil soak using only indian herbs?

I oil my scalp 2-3x per week overnight with sesame oil (used coconut oil before) and because I have short hair, much of oil ends up on my hair as well. I take 1 tbsp. of aritha, shikakai and bhringraj (hibiscus, brahmi), add 0.5-1 cup of hot (not boiling) water and step overnight. In the morning I apply the mixture to the roots, then to the length. If the paste is too thick and not sufficient to cover all hair, I add some hot tap water to the mixture as I apply. I cover my hair with plastic bag, leave for 30-40 mins, then rinse off. You have to be careful that the mixture does not get into your eyes because aritha and shikakai are very irritating. I did not find Indian herbs drying probably because I oil quite heavily.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Not sure the saponins in herbs are potent enough to remove much oil, no idea if soapwort extract or soap nuts would be better.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Aritha IS soapnuts, I found it effective in removing oil.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My understanding is that heavy oiling before shikaki is a fairly standard practice when herb washing. Maybe you just need to adjust your ratios of the various components of your wash?
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    23.5/33/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks for replying

@shatam1 - I brew it for about 1hour in warm water, make a tea and apply it on the scalp and the length. I leave it on for an hour or so. what do you mean by 'do it twice'? apply ..one hour.. wash ..apply.. one hour? or just use the tea again while washing the hair?

@Notherner - How do you remove all the pieces if you are using the paste directly without making the tea? dunk your head in the bucket?

@Busymom. The pieces are so tiny, they wash out of my hair under the shower. My hair is pretty thin. I would dunk my hair in a basin (it's certainly the best method of rinsing hair anyway) if I could avoid getting water into my eyes because aritha/ shikakai are extremely irritating, worse than regular shampoo or soap. I do not use tea for the same reason - more chance of getting it into my eyes when putting it on hair than with the paste. My only suggestion for you would be to use a higher proportion of aritha. Shikakai is not good in removing oil for me - tried it on its own, did not work.

Busymom, what I used to do is apply the liquid in the shower ,scrub my hair and scalp ,keep it up for like five minutes or more while I do other things then I rinse it. So what I meant buy doing it twice is repeating this process in the shower so u rinse then u apply some liquid again then final rise and condition as u usually do..I hope it works for u this way

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I dampen my hair with a spray bottle then put a cone free conditioner on and leave it in for about 20mins before my shower. I get in, rinse conditioner out and apply my herb mix. Leave that in for about 20 mins, rinse and done.
    Officially at knee. Verified at London meet 2012.