View Poll Results: How paranoid are you about damaging your hair?

Voters
531. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 - Not paranoid at all!

48 9.04%

82 15.44%
  • 3 - Moderately paranoid

208 39.17%

123 23.16%
  • 5 - I am obsessively paranoid about damaging my hair!

88 16.57%
  • Cheese!

20 3.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How paranoid are you about damage?

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Re: How paranoid are you about damage?

I take good care of my hair most of the time but I also like to have fun with it. I do wear it up at lot because it's convenient for me. I don't rip through it with fine tooth combs or ball tip brushes. But I have my silvers dyed to my original natural blonde. I use heat when I feel like it, usually for special occasion but sometimes just because I feel like it. I use sulphates and don't worry about it. The so called more natural products have done nothing for me and actually made my hair looks worse. Dr Bronners is one example of that. I'm not obsessive about using cones. I use them sometimes and sometimes I don't. I don't worry about it. I just clarify when I think I need to. I blow dry if I feel like it or use hot rollers. It's very occasional since I'm too lazy to do it often. And I sleep with my hair loose most night because I like to. I don't have much damage at all.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    buzz/chin/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

When I first joined LHC, I became increasingly obsessive about protecting my hair from damage. I think this was because there were so many new practices here that I had never heard before, and it seemed as though I was doing everything "wrong." After I had been here for about eight months I decided that it was ridiculous to worry so much about it since mechanical damage and everyday wear is pretty much inevitable. I want to be able enjoy my hair. It should not be a main source of my stress. I still wear it in protective styles for the most part, but I am not afraid to let it loose and enjoy it whenever I want to.
    current length: chin/bob growing out undercut | first goal length: BSL

Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Moderately paranoid with a hint of obsessively paranoid, except when I’m not paranoid at all

Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub” - Proverb

Length
    APL/Hip!/BCL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I personally find myself scared of heat (I know that my hair just doesn't do well with it, at all) but otherwise I'm very lenient with it. I've learned that my hair damages easily no matter what and I've decided it's not going to deter me from doing what I want. I love wearing it loose- so I will.
    BSLMBL• WL • HLBCLTBL
    _________________________^Next stop; TBL!

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I loved reading all of your responses!
    It's good to hear we're not all obsessively paranoid, and mostly have pretty healthy hair. I guess I can rest a bit easier now!
    Just trying to get by

Length
    7"/32/70"
    Type
    3b/3c/M/ii/iii

I obsess about damage to my hair to the point where I have serious hair issues and go to extreme lengths to prevent a knot.

I have curly hair, so I don't brush the curls. I let it down, and I don't touch it. I don't put it up because I am afraid that smushing the curls will cause damage. I don't put my hair wet, conditioned and detangled because my hair is wet and wont dry well if put up like this. I don't brush it dry because brushing really curly hair creates fro that tangles, snags and breaks my hair with the act of brushing and separating curls. I only brush it when wet and lathered with conditioner and a wide tooth comb and detangle every tangle by hand. It is only until recently that I was able to find a way to dry my hair without tangles. I section dry it with cold air, and braid it as it dries to keep from tangling or fro. Then I put it up with hair stix. I sleep with my hair in a braid inside a really soft night cap.

This is all so that I don't get any split ends. Because I am obsessive with split ends and I must cut them. Which will prevent hair growth. But I leave my hair down because I can't brush it, which causes splits eventually. Which I must cut. It's a vicious cycle. I'm trying to avoid it. S&D seems to preserves some of the length. I end up S&D when ever I have free hands and scissors.

I blame it all on my youth and my chemical accident with a relaxer meant for African-American hair that was left on too long and left me shiny shiny bald.

Never again shall I damage my hair.
    Last edited by Marbid; September 18th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.

Length
    11.5"/15"/25"
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I voted 5 I'm obsessively paranoid about damaging my hair. I'm growing out the biggest chop I've ever gotten. My hair was pretty abused by heat and razor cuts prior to my cut. I'm trying to preserve the ends as much as possible. I don't use heat at all anymore. I use organic shampoo and conditioner. I usually do a weekly S&D session followed by a green tea treatment. I also take vitamins. I'm currently doing a tea tree oil treatment on my scalp and coconut oil treatment on my ends..... while browsing LHC. Maybe I'm a little too obsessed

Length
    26"/30"/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I'd say that I'm moderately paranoid. For the most part I'm pretty gentle with my hair. My paranoia comes into play when other people are involved. Any time people get near my hair I cringe. On the rare occaision that I wear my hair down, people I know will run their fingers through it (I'm wurly, so I DON'T like that). Friends at work grab my hairs buns and shake them. They pretend to pull sticks or they'll twist them. They have no idea how OCD I can get about my hair, and I'm a bit too shy to really mention it.

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Wow, Marbid, you're as paranoid as I am (if not more), except with the blessing/curse of curly hair! At least you have lovely locks to show for all of your hard work
    Your story about the relaxer is gonna give me nightmares!
    Just trying to get by

Length
    2/22/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I am fighting my paranoia. I bought a sleep cap and quit sulfates and non-henna dye. I also quit all brushes, aside from a Goody tangle fix. I still touch my hair all the time, though, and wear it down a lot.
    From pixie (cut off dreads)>chin>APL. On my way to waist. Next stop: BSL. Lady Purl, Of The Last Galaxy, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.