Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about using henna, from Sallys Beauty?

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Default Thinking about using henna, from Sallys Beauty?

Hey everyone I've recently been thinking about using henna on my hair. When I used to dye my hair, I would always use a reddish-brown color, and I've always liked the way it looked on my hair. I've just recently learned about henna, and I've been looking into it and I think I may want to do it. The only problem is finding it. I've heard that you can get them from Indian stores, but there are none anywhere close to where I live. And since I do not own a banking account/ credit card, I wouldn't really be able to buy any off of the internet. I was wondering if anyone has ever used any henna from Sally's Beauty Supply? If so, what kind or brand did you use, and did you have good results?
    SL | CBL | APL | BSL
    goal: waist length

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Thinking about using henna, from Sallys Beauty?

I doubt Sally would have anything. You're more likely to have success at a natural foods/supplements type of store, honestly. Search for it in places with lots of natural/organic/alternative beauty products.

I've had some success early on with Light Mountain brand's red shades. It was like trying to rinse a beach's worth of sand out of my hair (not true of good henna), but it wasn't adulterated with anything worrisome and it did strain fairly well.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

The only brand i found at Sallys was Reshma Femme and it's Burgundy. Here's the ingredients to it :Henna (Lawsonia Inermis), Sodiun Perborate, Tartrik Acid, p-Phenylenediamine, Cellulose gum, Magnesium Searate, Sodium Sulfate. I'm not sure if any of those are bad for your hair or not.

Unfortunately there isn't a natural foods store or anything like that around where I live. I live in a very small town in south Georgia. But I will be on the lookout for stores like that. I'll also look to see if I can find Light Mountain brand anywhere! thanks
    SL | CBL | APL | BSL

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by samanthajenalyn View Post
    The only brand i found at Sallys was Reshma Femme and it's Burgundy. Here's the ingredients to it :Henna (Lawsonia Inermis), Sodiun Perborate, Tartrik Acid, p-Phenylenediamine, Cellulose gum, Magnesium Searate, Sodium Sulfate. I'm not sure if any of those are bad for your hair or not.
    That sounds like a compound henna to me. It shouldn't have any ingredients except Henna. (Lawsonia Inermis) is fine.....the rest of it looks bad. You don't want to put metallic salts in your hair accidentally, they can react badly to pre-existing hair dye. Also, that p-Phenylenediamine can cause bad allergic reactions in some people. Look for 100% henna.

Check out this article. http://www.hennaforhair.com/science/
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

The Sally's in my area doesn't have pure henna.
    I'd love a local supplier, haven't been able to find one, and order on-line.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nae View Post
    That sounds like a compound henna to me. It shouldn't have any ingredients except Henna. (Lawsonia Inermis) is fine.....the rest of it looks bad. You don't want to put metallic salts in your hair accidentally, they can react badly to pre-existing hair dye. Also, that p-Phenylenediamine can cause bad allergic reactions in some people. Look for 100% henna.

Check out this article. http://www.hennaforhair.com/science/
    Thank you! I'm glad I didn't buy it. I'll probably just end up buying some off of the internet. Is there any brands that is 100% henna that anyone would recommend?
    SL | CBL | APL | BSL

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Yeah, check out Hennasooq or mehandi websites. They are both well trusted and have good products.
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Length
    1.5"/40/41.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Do you have a WalMart you can get to? They have a prepaid Master Card that you buy and load at the store (or via a bank account). Then you can purchase over the Internet from HennaSouq and get the right stuff? Even some convenience stores may have prepaid credit/debit cards but they may cost more to load. I use WalMart's card for traveling and it works great.
    Maintaining at Classic for awhile.
    Laydye Aurora of the Spynning Fybres in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hairitic View Post
    ...from HennaSouq ....
    Pssst. It's "HennaSooq."
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hairitic View Post
    Do you have a WalMart you can get to? They have a prepaid Master Card that you buy and load at the store (or via a bank account). Then you can purchase over the Internet from HennaSouq and get the right stuff? Even some convenience stores may have prepaid credit/debit cards but they may cost more to load. I use WalMart's card for traveling and it works great.
    Thank you! I had forgotten that WalMart had those! I will definitely do that if I decide to buy some. I've been looking into red raj from their website
    SL | CBL | APL | BSL