Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I prevent biotin breakouts?

Length
    22/26/33
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Can I prevent biotin breakouts?

Last time I took biotin (in the form of that vitamin Hair Skin & Nails), I noticed some pretty annoying cystic acne. For a while I thought it was the food I was eating or the products I was using, but it eventually went away when I stopped taking that vitamin. Since then I've been really wary of biotin.

However, I've read that if you take biotin AND drink lots of water, you can avoid the cystic acne side effect. Is there any truth to this?

Length
    pixie/46.5"/Term.
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Default Re: Can I prevent biotin breakouts?

I've just started taking biotin. I try to drink 2 quarts of water a day. I haven't noticed any extra oilness or any acne but I have fairly dry skin to start with and was never very prone to breakouts. From what I've read some people have had breakouts with it and dropped to a lower dosage and the breakouts stopped. You may be taking to high a dose for your body as well as not drinking enough water.

Biotin is water soluable vitamin and the only way you can flush the excess out is by drinking enough water. If you don't drink enough water to get rid of the extra it shows up as breakouts and oily skin.

46.5" ===== about 6" till knee
    1c/2a/b - M(mix of all 3 but mostly medium) - iii (4")

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I agree you have to flush your system with water.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    15/23.5/40
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

For me the only thing that worked was to wait it out. After a few months when my body got used to the Biotin the acne disappeared.

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I second that. I got really bad acne the first month I was on it.

Length
    28"/32.5"/34"

Smile Re: Can I prevent biotin breakouts?

In asian medicine, all skin problems are related to the liver being overly worked. You might have problems digesting and metabolizing the brand, or you may just have a full liver already.
    When I was at my sickest, almost everything I ate or drank made me sick. But I detoxed for a long time. Now I even take drug store brand prenatals, and my hair loves it. So it may just be how well your body is preforming this month. Next month could be completely different
    I have my natural color, finally!
    Sense' S/C, cutting before full moon/equinox. brown seaweed on scalp, brushing

Length
    13?/30/Long
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I just wouldn't take it. Cystic acne is a sign that you are taking way too much. It isn't really effective in helping hair growth unless you are super low in it anyway, which is hard to do if you eat any kind of varied diet.
    Everything comes gradually and at its appointed hour.~Ovid~
    Nae

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by goldcopperbrown View Post
    Last time I took biotin (in the form of that vitamin Hair Skin & Nails), I noticed some pretty annoying cystic acne. For a while I thought it was the food I was eating or the products I was using, but it eventually went away when I stopped taking that vitamin. Since then I've been really wary of biotin.

However, I've read that if you take biotin AND drink lots of water, you can avoid the cystic acne side effect. Is there any truth to this?
    Why would you want to take anything that potentially damages your organs? Yes you can avoid that issue, eat a nutrient dense balanced wholefood diet instead of randomly supplementing without reference to what your body actually needs. You are right to be wary, nutrients work synergistically and in opposition so you can set up imbalanced by taking individual or small groups of micronutrients. Nutrition/ dietetics are disciplines that health professionals spend years studying to master, most people on haircare forums are wholly unqualified. I am not aware of any published research showing megadoses are safe if you drink loads of water, it is a massive over-simplification to cite biotin being water soluble.
    http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.uk...otin-rant.html
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Simple: don't take it. There is NO scientific evidence that biotin makes hair grow faster. None. There is no evidence that megadosing vitamins is anything but bad for you. Adequate biotin is pretty easily available from food. The acne is an indication that megadosing biotin is causing reactions, and that's just what you can see.

Length
    28.5/31/34
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

when i first started taking it in january (1000mcg) i noticed my skin got bad ...which was totally not worth it to me so i stopped taking it even though it did seem to help speed up my hair growth. then in june i decided to try again. but this time i would take a multi vitamin and THEN my biotin and ive been doing this daily ever since and i havent noticed any negative effects on my skin...coincidence? or maybe the multi vitamin helped me process the biotin...who knows, but its something to think about