Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I prevent biotin breakouts?

Default Re: Can I prevent biotin breakouts?

There may not be any scientific evidence for it but faster growth and/or decreased shed is reported by many people and I don't doubt their results. However, I don't think that is a valid reason to mega dose and put stress on your organs. Your body is giving you signs it doesn't agree with your dosage. Contact your doctor and ask them if there is an amount of biotin they are comfortable with you taking and for how long. Make sure to find out any side effects like blocked absorption of another vitamin or mineral.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by McFearless View Post
    There may not be any scientific evidence for it but faster growth and/or decreased shed is reported by many people and I don't doubt their results. However, I don't think that is a valid reason to mega dose and put stress on your organs. Your body is giving you signs it doesn't agree with your dosage. Contact your doctor and ask them if there is an amount of biotin they are comfortable with you taking and for how long. Make sure to find out any side effects like blocked absorption of another vitamin or mineral.
    Except that anecdotal evidence isn't the same as scientific evidence, and it's not taking other possible factors into account, the main one being that hair doesn't grow consistently anyway. For instance, when I had 3" of growth in a little over a month, I could have said it was because I didn't take supplements, or for any number of reasons, but the fact of the matter is I don't have any explanation for it other than that it just grew faster for a while. Hair apparently growing faster while taking biotin is not proof that biotin is responsible for the increased growth; coincidence is not the same as causation.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Correlation does not imply causation. Correlation does not imply causation. Correlation does not imply causation!

(Also, placebo effect, anyone!?)

To the OP: you've got lots of sensible advice, namely just stop taking the biotin. It is obviously harming you, as evidenced by the acne. Why risk your health for something that might (not will!) give a small cosmetic benefit?

All bodies are different. There are some who've monitored their hair growth and shedding while taking the supplement over a long period of time and have noticed changes that are more than coincidence. Who am I to say they're incorrect.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

All bodies are different. There are some who've monitored their hair growth and shedding while taking the supplement over a long period of time and have noticed changes that are more than coincidence. Who am I to say they're incorrect.
    Nobody did say they were incorrect, that is not what Panth and Jeanniet said. They said there is no scientific evidence and that correlation does not prove causation, that is not the same as saying there is scientific evidence proving it to be a falsehood.

Many times people change more that one aspect of their haircare regimen or lifestyle simultaneously to taking biotin, be that adding or subtracting habits: the OP is a prime example, she is taking a supplement containing multiple nutrients plus additives yet assumes the biotin is to blame for her acne. Some people who are biotin deficient (due to health issues or lifestyle) may well get a positive effect, do we know who those are on the forum so we can discount them as research scientists would? You should also discount anyone who has gone through pregnancy or other relevant health issue, changed their physical activity or stress levels in a significant manner, those who relocated to a different climate .... if you were rigorous I suspect there would be very few impressive cases remaining.

How many cases have we had that overhauled their diet and focussed on biotin rich foods whilst remaining balanced and nutrient dense that reported increased growth? If it works let's push something safe. I think we forget we have the impressionable and naive reading and posting here, not just the savvy and cautious.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Yeah, a very simple and cheap one: stop taking it.

It doesn't work anyway and it's potentially dangerous. All the folks that claim that prenatals/biotin/whatever makes their hair grow faster are bsing themselves and everyone around. It's called wishful thinking and the companies making these pills that just produce some expensive piss are laughing all the way to the bank.

Just eat well. That is all you will ever need - and get enough sleep, drink enough water and exercise and you're set.

Howgh
    One stitch at a time ...

Length
    26"/32.5"/...
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Have you ever heard of the placebo effect? That is what it is. Plus what what Firefox7275 says all the way (making more changes while on the pills, etc.)
    One stitch at a time ...

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

You might also look up confirmational bias...
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/butt
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Tea tree oil! I dab it on my face everyday and it works like a dream.

Pixie(March 2014)~Neck Length~Shoulder Length~Arm Pit Length~Bra Strap Length~Waist Length~Tail Bone Length

Length
    22/26/33
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaViktoria View Post
    In asian medicine, all skin problems are related to the liver being overly worked. You might have problems digesting and metabolizing the brand, or you may just have a full liver already.
    When I was at my sickest, almost everything I ate or drank made me sick. But I detoxed for a long time. Now I even take drug store brand prenatals, and my hair loves it. So it may just be how well your body is preforming this month. Next month could be completely different
    That's very interesting, although I'm sure there are other reasons for acne lol...teenagers are notorious for acne (i know I was lucky enough to experience this) and teenagers don't have poorly functioning livers. I wouldn't be surprised if SOME acne is attributed to this though...although for me I feel like hormones play an enormous role too!