Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard water = dull hair?

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Question Hard water = dull hair?

Hey all,
    Question--in my area, we have a lot of calcium, lime and rust in our water. I'm wonderingg if this is another contributing factor to my drying ends? I was reading an article about apple cider vinegar rinses, and how this helps remove any harsheness from hard water build up.

Can anyone tell me how this would work? Do you do an ACV rinse after you wash hair? Isn't vinegar drying?

Any tips would be awesome!

Length
    18/44/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Hard water = dull hair?

This article goes into the whys and wherefores of vinegar rinses. Realize though, that the vinegar will only remove minerals from the current wash. To remove deposits that are already on your hair now, you might have to clarify, or even chelate.

I, too, have hard water. Shortly after I joined here, I got a shower filter, and it's helped a lot.
    Lady Raederlhe of Chocolate Treasures in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Tribute to the KL Knot Photos April Hairtool Challenge Photos
    Renegrays -swearing undyeing loyalty to the silver cause!

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Darkhorse 1

Hi Raederle

Nice to see you posting!

I have really hard water too.

I find that for me, it does not affect the shine of my hair all that much.

I have wavy hair and it is very humid where I live.

The shine of my hair, from my experience, is more weather dependent.

Since I started using catnip, my hair is shiny in all kinds of weather, but it is more shiny when it is less humid.

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post

I have really hard water too.

I find that for me, it does not affect the shine of my hair all that much.

I have wavy hair and it is very humid where I live.
    Same here, I have pondered about the notion of a shower filter, but my parents don't want to bother getting one installed -.-
    From a shorty to a long hair, how long shall it take???

Lady Tisiphone of the Avenging Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by thankyousir74 View Post
    Same here, I have pondered about the notion of a shower filter, but my parents don't want to bother getting one installed -.-
    There's really no fuss to it and no need to have someone install it! For most models you just screw off the old showerhead and screw in the filter! Then you can screw the showerhead back on. Easy peasy. A little plumbers tape will ensure a good seal.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I tried to install a filter, but it was a pain with this shower head. I found the minerals kept building up and causing water flow problems. I mean, it's really bad in regards to calcium/lime/rust. I can literally scrape it off my bathtub after a shower, and I rinse my tub!

I got some ACV and will try a rinse tonight --would an ACV rinse be useful in protecting hair against the sun? I'm thinking ph balance might help.

After my mayonaise conditioning, my hair has been looking awesome!! Maybe i needed more protien due to sun exposure.

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    There's really no fuss to it and no need to have someone install it! For most models you just screw off the old showerhead and screw in the filter! Then you can screw the showerhead back on. Easy peasy. A little plumbers tape will ensure a good seal.

i am gonna 3rd this- i got my from home depot and installed it myself in less then 5 mins my hair drastically improved after installing it. At the time i had bleached hair an the iron always made me have strawberry tones but that soon disapated an i seen just how white my hair was . my skins is also softer too
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Posterchild for Monistat
    Length
    1"/26"/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

o i see that you were having probblems after re-reading every thing. Have you tired someting like Lime away? i did the whole cleaning lady gig for a while and man i swear that stuff works, just wear gloves an let it soak a bit. you might have to completly remove everythign and let it soak for best resaults
    Makeup Tutorials for the brave and colorful
    View the Monistat Tutorial
    here
    My Hair Blog:
    http://suicideseve.blogspot.com

Length
    3"/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2c/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by suicides_eve View Post
    i am gonna 3rd this- i got my from home depot and installed it myself in less then 5 mins my hair drastically improved after installing it. At the time i had bleached hair an the iron always made me have strawberry tones but that soon disapated an i seen just how white my hair was . my skins is also softer too
    How much is one? When I last saw, they were about 60$. Have they gone down in price?
    From a shorty to a long hair, how long shall it take???

Lady Tisiphone of the Avenging Heart in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

I don't like vinegar that much, so I depend on a final RO rinse to remove a lot of the junk. I try to remember to add a little bit of lemon juice or similar. My shampoo also contains a chelator, EDTA. I think it's supposed to prevent hard water from reacting with shampoo (especially soap) to form scum.