Thread: Could this be the answer to the double crown problem??

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Question Could this be the answer to the double crown problem??

I was pondering my annoying double crown today (for the millionth time!!) and noticed that it is on the same side of my head as my natural part is - the left. Then I wondered: would my double crown be helped if I had more hair to lie over the top of it.....ie, what if I changed/trained my part to the other side?

Before I give it a shot, (part training takes alot of time and effort!), I was wondering if anyone else here has done it and did it improve the double crown?

Note: for those who are unsure of a "double crown", it's the annoying spot on your head where your hair seems to lie flat or stick up or generally create a "bump" which is especially noticeable in up-styles. It often parts here and can look like a hole in your head!

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Could this be the answer to the double crown problem??

I've tried parting it on that side, and it only looked worse That''s my hair though, you might have more success since I am a finey.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I agree, I tried it too but it not only didn't seem to help but maybe even make it worse.

It is less noticeable when my roots are very clean. Also sometimes I try to keep a few locks of hair over it to cover it up...

Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

ah, I'm so glad I asked! Thanks amaiaisabella and mellie, I shall continue to put up with it I guess....

LHC member for 17 years and ALWAYS learning!.....♥ Currently growing out silver again

Back to my dark side trollkjerring's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/28/43
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I am not sure if I have a double crown like you describe it - I have a long part that makes me look bald at the end of the part and when my hair was long enough to put up I had to carefully cover that part with hair.

Now I cut back to a pixie to get rid of my twotoned hair and the long part looked even worse. I decided to part my hair now on the other, the right side so I could cover the long part on the left side with my hair and train my hair to part on the right side.

It takes a lot of willpower to comb it in place after washing a few times till it stays the new way but I think for now it works. I am looking forward to the time my hair is long enough to put it up again, then I will know if I was successful this way.

HTH
    trollkjerring

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I have that too! It becomes so much more noticeable if my hair isn't sqeaky clean. I could go so much longer between washes if not for "IT".

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

From the description, I think I have a double crown. I have two swirls of hair at the crown and they form a natural long part between them.

I have always liked to change my part, and it has made nothing to this crown scalp cleavage. Before I started to grow my hair I back combed the area regularly, it helped.

If i let my hair dry without touching the crown area looks worst, so I usually comb when wet or damp so that the hair will form a line from forehead to nape, and the crown hair will be positioned in a way I would like them to dry to.

I have had great success lately with a fluffing technique too, actually better success than just combing! It also gives lot of volume and speeds the drying time. So in a same fashion as with combing, I want to allign the hair from forehead to nape, and position the crown area's hair in a way I would like them to dry. After wash I let it dry a bit and then start to fluff the scalp hair with my fingertips gently against scalp from forehead to nape motion, concentrating on the crown area and the hairs just around it. I repeat this many times during the drying process making sure the scalp cleavege is covered with crown hair.

This might not be good techinique for frizz prone hair or curly hair(?). But for me it works and it does not disturb my waves, on the contrary, I often add some scrunching the length to this scalp hair fluffing, and I will get wavy hair with much body and minimal scalp cleavage at the crown. Bonus is quick drying time, especially if I break the clumps of hair into smaller strands (again, not good for curly hair).

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Type
    1b/F/ii

hmm, I have it too. trying to part differently has no effect whatsoever so I have a bump on my head and live with it.

Length
    27/32-33/35'
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I remember trying to do this with horses's manes, and my aunt tried this with her cow lick--bottom line, for horses and humans a like, you have to let the hair fall where it wants to.

With horses, if we want to 'train' the mane to one side, we lay it flat with braids for several weeks. Of course, it'll lay flat on the 'correct side' when you then remove the braids, but unless you then braid it for competition, it will automatically pop back to it's prefered way.

Hair dressers always tell you to do this when it comes to finding your natural part:

Comb hair when wet, and comb it back, away from forehead. Then, push it from the back of your head, towards your face (reflection in mirror) and you will see where the hair will part naturally. That's your part/how your hair wants to fall. You can probably see a better description on youtube.