Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wavy/curly hair. whats your routine?

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Smile wavy/curly hair. whats your routine?

I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this, I'm new to this site and have been having some trouble looking for threads.

Ive recently discovered that my hair is wavy, somewhere between 2a and 2b (before i always thought i had frizzy straight hair.) This site has done wonders for my hair in this short amount of time. Ive started cowashing (every day, or every other day) with Renpure Sweet Pomegranate Cleansing Conditioner, I use Shea Moisture Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner as a Leave in, seal with olive oil, and then I scrunch in some Suave Volumizing Mousse.
    I was wondering what all you other curlys/wavys do to style your hair, and if you could give me some tips about how you keep your hair healthy and your curls looking great!

Length
    BSL/Hip/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: wavy/curly hair. whats your routine?

I'm the same type as you. I wash with either a sulphate free gentle shampoo and then use my dog conditioner (its the only thing I have with no protein/cones/sulphates etc), towel it, apply some argon oil and leave it. I ocassionally use a random sulphate shampoo if I feel like a chage though, either redken or lush. If I don't touch it the waves come out nice and are usually pretty soft. I will also sometimes finger comb it incesantly while its drying, and it straightens the waves and as long as I keep doing it until its dry ther minimal frizz. Just takes a while.

Length
    25"/30"/43"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by samanthajenalyn View Post
    I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this, I'm new to this site and have been having some trouble looking for threads.

Ive recently discovered that my hair is wavy, somewhere between 2a and 2b (before i always thought i had frizzy straight hair.) This site has done wonders for my hair in this short amount of time. Ive started cowashing (every day, or every other day) with Renpure Sweet Pomegranate Cleansing Conditioner, I use Shea Moisture Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner as a Leave in, seal with olive oil, and then I scrunch in some Suave Volumizing Mousse.
    I was wondering what all you other curlys/wavys do to style your hair, and if you could give me some tips about how you keep your hair healthy and your curls looking great!
    Congrats c: ... Seems like a lot of people are "waking up" to their natural hair textures and embracing them...it's great!

I myself, am a 2b, with a 2c more ringlet-y under layer. I can be a 2a at times as well depending on the weather, etc.

I used henna and indigo last year on my hair and it made it courser... but, my virgin hair growing in is finer.

It is FAR more important that you type you hair by 3 things to style it well... It's texture, porosity, and density/thickness.

I am fine-medium texture, (not sure of porosity) and medium/high density.

Here's a good link to start learning about that for wavy/curly hair:

http://livecurlylivefree.com/curly%20hair%20basics.htm

It will give you the basic info you need to understand your hair.

Porosity is the tricky one... it means your hairs ability to absorb things, and is related to the cuticle. Low porosity means your cuticle is tightly bound and moisture does not penetrate it easily, while high porosity hair is more prone to damage as the cuticle is raised and it has a hard time retaining moisture. High porosity hair is like a sponge, it is quick to absorb moisture and quick to lose it.

These properties are important because they way to define your hair to the maximum is by getting the moisture balance right. If you can get that, you will have perfect waves! Wavy or curly hair success is all dependent on moisture as far as what your hair looks like. I KNOW it is overwhelming, but understanding it gives you amazing control over your hair. It demystifies why our hair does what it does and makes it that much easier to buy the right products!

The only real way to find out which one you are is to try products. Generally, high porosity needs protein to build strength, while low needs humectants or (moisture binding properties) to help it get moisture. Using protein on low porosity hair makes it dry and brittle as it overloads strands that are already full of protein, while using humectants on high porosity hair can cause a swelling of the strand causing frizz, loss of curl, and tangling. So, think of them as opposing problems with somewhat similar reactions to the wrong products. You will generally know if you have a bad reaction to a product. If you hair does not like protein, then if you do a protein treatment it will turn straw like and become incredibly dry and courser. I'm not as sure about low porosity hair and humectants, but I think they tend like things like glycerin and oils that bind moisture to the cuticle.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/

That blog is amazing! It is written more for hair in the 4 range, but the information is true for everyone. You can learn everything you would want to know about hair there!

Here's another link from that site about porosity: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...ition-and.html

Mostly, I would recommend joining the NaturallyCurly.com forum CurlTalk... The amount of information and help on their is astounding (It's where I learned almost everything about having wavy/curly hair), and you are bound to find some with hair very similar to yours! They even have a subforum just for wavy hair:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/

I didn't reccmomend anything I am trying out now because I myself don't really know what's up with my hair yet! I think the most helpful thing would be to learn a little bit about wavy hair, and then try testing out a a bunch of stuff. Hope that helps a little c:

Length
    Chin/APL+/?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I am a 2b/c. My routine is pretty simple; I shampoo, condition and let it air dry. I wash my hair around every 3-4 days. (mostly 3). Sometimes, when it needs it, I soak it in coconut oil or avocado oil two hours or more before washing. This makes my hair soft and shiny, and the avocado oil enhances my curls. On the frissy days, I just smooth it down with a tiny bit of coconut oil.
    Just a small selection of hairstyles I have done
    My Brand-new blog: http://hairdiarydash.blog.com
    Password: LHC

Length
    25"/30"/43"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by samanthajenalyn View Post

Congrats c: ... Seems like a lot of people are "waking up" to their natural hair textures and embracing them...it's great!

I myself, am a 2b, with a 2c more ringlet-y under layer. I can be a 2a at times as well depending on the weather, etc.

I used henna and indigo last year on my hair and it made it courser... but, my virgin hair growing in is finer.

It is FAR more important that you type you hair by 3 things to style it well... It's texture, porosity, and density/thickness.

Porosity is the tricky one... it means your hairs ability to absorb things, and is related to the cuticle. Low porosity means your cuticle is tightly bound and moisture does not penetrate it easily, while high porosity hair is more prone to damage as the cuticle is raised and it has a hard time retaining moisture. High porosity hair is like a sponge, it is quick to absorb moisture and quick to lose it.

These properties are important because they way to define your hair to the maximum is by getting the moisture balance right. If you can get that, you will have perfect waves! Wavy or curly hair success is all dependent on moisture as far as what your hair looks like. I KNOW it is overwhelming, but understanding it gives you amazing control over your hair. It demystifies why our hair does what it does and makes it that much easier to buy the right products!

The only real way to find out which one you are is to try products. Generally, high porosity needs protein to build strength, while low needs humectants or (moisture binding properties) to help it get moisture. Using protein on low porosity hair makes it dry and brittle as it overloads strands that are already full of protein, while using humectants on high porosity hair can cause a swelling of the strand causing frizz, loss of curl, and tangling. So, think of them as opposing problems with somewhat similar reactions to the wrong products. You will generally know if you have a bad reaction to a product. If you hair does not like protein, then if you do a protein treatment it will turn straw like and become incredibly dry and courser. I'm not as sure about low porosity hair and humectants, but I think they tend like things like glycerin and oils that bind moisture to the cuticle.

That blog is amazing! It is written more for hair in the 4 range, but the information is true for everyone. You can learn everything you would want to know about hair there!

Here's another link from that site about porosity: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...ition-and.html

Mostly, I would recommend joining the NaturallyCurly.com forum CurlTalk... The amount of information and help on their is astounding (It's where I learned almost everything about having wavy/curly hair), and you are bound to find some with hair very similar to yours! They even have a subforum just for wavy hair:

I didn't reccmomend anything I am trying out now because I myself don't really know what's up with my hair yet! I think the most helpful thing would be to learn a little bit about wavy hair, and then try testing out a a bunch of stuff. Hope that helps a little c:

Length
    25"/30"/43"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Ahhh, double post apologies!

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I follow the Curly Girl method and choose ingredients and products based on my hair properties and dew points/ humidity: having porous colour treated hair I focus on coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides and panthenol to patch repair damage and reduce porosity. I highly recommend flour sack towels if you have fine or porous hair, they don't soak up too much water so less frizz/ more definiition and inexpensive.

I'd suggest you join the Wavy Hair Community on Facebook and/ or NaturallyCurly CurlTalk forums. Lots of information in the stickies on NC newbies and general haircare boards about techniques, many people put their routines and hair properties in their signatures, on the WHC there is loads of information in the files. Most wavies don't need to seal with oil if they use a conditioner containing oils or butters, that can be too heavy/ rich.

Definitely agree read the Natural Haven blog and also the 'curl chemist' articles on NaturallyCurly by Tonya McKay. On YouTube check out Waterlily716, Curlywavydiane and the videos by Devachan salon and Jessicurl. There are plenty of others if you use the search function. Not many weak wavies doing videos at present, but bookmark Chupie and Pedaheh who are both active on the Wavy Hair Community, Chupie particularly is just starting out and 'taking requests'.
    Last edited by Firefox7275; July 17th, 2013 at 03:39 AM.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    26"/31"/tb cl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

i am a 2 c MC but sometimes it gets quite wavy straightish.
    i use a minimal routine which works best for me after trying out lots of different things.
    i cowash only, with suave naturals condish, use a thicker keratin condish allover, let it sit 2 min, use my suave naturals again cause i dont like the smell of the keratin condish lol, wash out, then rinse with one bottle cap applecider vinegar on one liter water, leave it in.
    after towel drying( no rubbing ever) and combing carefully, i put some coconut oil into my length and fringe, preferably into still dripping hair, so i leave my towel only one or two minutes on my hair.
    my hair soaks the oil up like crazy so as i put a little carefully in order not to overoil, i have to sometimes put a bit more the next day, on wetted hair, but my hair is porous thats why.
    i cant remember the last time i clarified, so i figure the products i use dont build up or barely do.
    my routine in silicone free
    is it growing???

Length
    SL+/apl/bsl
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I'm 2b, but I'm not actually trying to enhance my waves, since this would probably require CO-washing or water only washing with my hair, which for me equals terrible shedding (looks like my scalp hates it). So my hair looks just a bit wavy with flipped up ends most of the time (it's only collarbone length though).

I use coconut oil as pre-wash, sulphate free shampoo and natural moisturising conditioner. I use clarifying shampoo approximately once a months (sometimes agave syrup as pre-wash). I air dry.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by heathen View Post

Thank you! I actually joined naturallycurly.com not to long ago, and I was looking on their site last night. i am pretty sure my hair is high porosity. I know my hair loves protein.