Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do when your skin hates the shampoo and conditioner your hair loves?

Default What to do when your skin hates the shampoo and conditioner your hair loves?

I have been using the aussie moist shampoo and conditioner and my hair adores it but Im breaking out like crazy. What to do now?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: What to do when your skin hates the shampoo and conditioner your hair loves?

Alternate or discontinue use, at least that's what I do. SLS free shampoos don't clear my scalp well enough and I break out if i use them exclusively, even though I favor the results on my length. I just make sure to use a shampoo and dish that will remove any residue, every 2 washes.

Or you could use a separate shampoo applied to scalp massage it in, then use the aussie on the length down. It may be the dish breaking you out so you could try not applying on scalp too.

Default Re: What to do when your skin hates the shampoo and conditioner your hair loves?

I never put conditioner on my scalp so im guessing its the shampoo too. Any product recs?
    Quote Originally Posted by goldloli View Post
    Alternate or discontinue use, at least that's what I do. SLS free shampoos don't clear my scalp well enough and I break out if i use them exclusively, even though I favor the results on my length. I just make sure to use a shampoo and dish that will remove any residue, every 2 washes.

Or you could use a separate shampoo applied to scalp massage it in, then use the aussie on the length down. It may be the dish breaking you out so you could try not applying on scalp too.

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I would suggest trying to pinpoint whether it's the conditioner, the shampoo, or both that is making you break out.

Then, maybe wash your face with an acne wash after you rinse out the conditioner to get rid of any residue on your face that could be causing your breakouts. I would also suggest keeping your hair off your face and using a different conditioner as a leave in while your skin heals.

I believe it is both since I am getting breakouts both on my scalp and a few on my back. Do you have any product recs that would be similar to the aussie?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpectoPatronum View Post
    I would suggest trying to pinpoint whether it's the conditioner, the shampoo, or both that is making you break out.

Then, maybe wash your face with an acne wash after you rinse out the conditioner to get rid of any residue on your face that could be causing your breakouts. I would also suggest keeping your hair off your face and using a different conditioner as a leave in while your skin heals.

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I don't know if it's similar to Aussie, but Herbal Essences has a lot of different lines of shampoo and conditioners which cover a variety of hair needs. My personal favorites have been long term relationship (supposedly for long hair) and hello hydration (for dry hair). I too have a problem with breaking out and neither of those have caused me any problems. Plus, hello hydration smells absolutely lovely.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Actually i just looked at the ingredients, both the shampoo and dish contain cones, fatty alcohols and oil... All of which can cause acne. The shampoo is an ALS based shampoo, possibly not removing stuff well also. Yeah I would just use another shampoo to clarify every few washes. Any basic non cone sls shampoo should clear build up of that kind, non sls... Erm malibu undo goo? sorry idk

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ExpectoPatronum View Post
    I don't know if it's similar to Aussie, but Herbal Essences has a lot of different lines of shampoo and conditioners which cover a variety of hair needs. My personal favorites have been long term relationship (supposedly for long hair) and hello hydration (for dry hair). I too have a problem with breaking out and neither of those have caused me any problems. Plus, hello hydration smells absolutely lovely.
    I was just about to say try herbal essences! I personally dont use it but many do, the reason for suggesting is because it has similar ingredients to what she's currently using but slightly wiser in formulation so that there's less potential for build up.

Length
    Pixie/Class/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Is it making your face break out? Then I'd say just limit the use of the conditioner (the more likely culprit) on areas near your face, or even eliminate it completely from the scalp area. I usually don't use any conditioner on my scalp, or just the residual conditioner on my hands. Otherwise...wash your hair upside down maybe (to keep the product off of your skin)? Or in a bucket? Otherwise I'd say try to make sure it's the shampoo/conditioner that's making you break out (eliminate them, maybe one at a time, and see if your condition improves).

Good luck

Pixie BSLMBL WL HL BCL TBL CL??????????
    semi-hiatus, computer is broken

Length
    SL/APL/HL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i

aussie moist was bad to give me breakouts as well. personally i love loreal evercurl, although it's a few dollars more than the aussie. it's sulphate free but is very moisturizing. it hasn't broke me out yet, even with using conditioner near my scalp.