Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SO in need of advice

Length
    NL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Default SO in need of advice

So, SO has a bit of an issue with his hair. He has this gorgeous curly hair that he just doesn't know what to do with, and he's quite self conscious about it.

In his mind, he can only have it either long, or short since there's not much to do with curly hair on men. He rather likes to have it a bit long, but most people tell him to get it cut, and it's starting to bother him.

I don't mind at all how he keeps his hair, since I like it either way, so I am wondering what do you suggest him to do? We've been trying to find curly hairstyles that he might like with no avail. What do you think? Do you know any curly hairstyles that work for men? (pictures are mostly welcome ), should he keep it long? What do you think looks better on him?

This is him, with recently cut hair

And this is how he looks now:

Any advice for him?

Length
    26"/31"/tb cl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

Default Re: SO in need of advice

curly girl method book, has some hairstyles and cuts for curly guys, btw, loooovely curls!
    he looks good with short hair but imo with such perfect ringlets, i would love to see him with longer hair!
    is it growing???

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Well growing it long enough to pull into a pony tail might be worth thinking about although it'll take time and probably be pretty poofy till it does. If he could stand it maybe some coconut oil to "tame" his curls. If he wants it long he should go for it! One my dear friends has his curly hair down to waist length curled. I have no idea how long it would be stretched! He generally just puts it into a pony at the nape of his neck which keeps the hair around his face sleek and out of his way.

There are a lot of guys around here too some of them with to die for knee length hair. I say grow for it.
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Evil, not Bad Moderator (SB) trolleypup's Avatar
    Length
    52"/62"/77" *
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

As amazing as waist or longer ringlets would be, the awkward stage is likely to be absolutely brutal until he can ponytail it. Then there will be the pompom pony stage. French braiding could help, then braiding or the segmented pony. And products...lots of product!

The guy I knew who worked through this did get to mid-back, but I haven't seen him recently.

Type
    2a/F/ii

The awkward stage could be worked through with Alice bands and such - dependent on, of course, if he'd be willing to do it....

Type
    1a/F/i

He looks gorgeous either way Lots of people, including me, would love to have his hair. Don't have any advice on how he should wear it, but I think if he wants it long he should just go for it. Thick, curly hair will stay in shape anyway.

Length
    2/29/30
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

He is approaching the akward stage, but if he's patient I would suggest that he waits until he can rock this hairstyle: Jon Snow. Your SO's hair may be a bit curlier than this man's, but I think he would still be able to pull it off and look great.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (S. Beckett)

Length
    Ear/shldr/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

I have a friend who has very similar hair to your SO. He grew his hair long to his shoulders curly from a short cut. To get through the awkward stages, he slicked his hair back with a lot of strong gel.
    Reached BSL November 2013!
    Goal: tailbone

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tota View Post
    He is approaching the akward stage, but if he's patient I would suggest that he waits until he can rock this hairstyle: Jon Snow.
    I second this!
    Lady Sjöfn of the Healing Heart, Warden of Silver and Gold, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    mbl/43/???
    Type
    1a/F/ii

June '11: Hip |Sep '11: MBL |Feb '12: Waist |Aug '12: Hip |Nov '13: BCL |Sep '14 TBL |Dec '15 BCL |Jun '16 TBL |March '17 Classic