Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why has my hair gone so straight?

Length
    SL/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Question Why has my hair gone so straight?

My hair has become really, really straight. The kind of straight I've never been able to achieve before even with heat styling. I have fine, what used to be 2a or 2b hair. Now, I grew up on the nice and humid East Coast and now I live in the SW desert, with all the hard water and absolutely no moisture in the air. I've been using ACV rinses to combat the nasty water, and my hair looks great. It's silky and soft, and very shiny. But it's SO STRAIGHT!

I'm not really complaining. My hair looks great, but I am confused. Is it just the total lack of humidity? Is it the water that's changed my texture? Does ACV affect curl? And if it does, how do you curlies get around that? I have a few strands in my under layer that still try to form into ringlets, but they go limp. If I actually curl my hair (heat free curling), it will stay until the next time I wash it. But my lose, wavy curls are gone, and I'm missing them.

Length
    chin/APL/MBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: Why has my hair gone so straight?

I don't know about the humidity thing, since I live in Europe, and we have all four seasons here. But I use ACV regularly, and it does not affect the curliness of my hair. It just makes the curls really shiny, and smooth.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

The same thing happened to me when I visited Italy. Wurly at home, straight in Italy.

Actually my hair has gotten straighter in recent months, from 2C to maybe 2A. I think that's the weight of it with no layering.

Length
    jaw/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

My hair is only slightly wavy and pretty frizzy, but not curly. I did notice that washing my hair in hard water on vacation did the same thing. It made it very silky and smoothed out the frizzy halo. I have soft water at home, so I wasn't used to that.

The climate and products were all the same as at home, so it had to be the hard water that smoothed it out.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Too much moisture makes my wayward hairs try to curl and stand up even more. When you have mostly straight hair with a few single strands that curl up....it's rather odd looking.

I'd guess the humidity has a lot to do with it, as well as the water.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

When I moved to a place with far more humidity, I always noticed my curls formed tighter, so I'm sure the opposite is true. I heard that rinses with lemon juice, rather than acv, produce more curls.
    BSL (24.5") Waist ​when pulled straight (27.5") Hip (33.5") TBL (35") Classic (40.8")

Do any of the products you use contain glycerin or any other humectant?

If the dew point and relative humidity are higher where you are and your hair isn't over moisturised it could be that the glycerin (or any humectant in your products) is attracting water to your hair and making it straighter - making it behave more like it's wet in effect- but this can mean it's also prone to damage as the hair shaft is weakened as it's acting as if it wet hair.

Length
    19/48/46 FT
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Well, my hair did actually something just the opposite. It started to wurl more and, just like in your case, that's what I wanted when I was a teenager and it came to me now Apart from wishes coming true after a certain time it may be hormonal.
    http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae358/samarkan13/siggy2smaller.jpg

Length
    SL/FTL/FTL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

My conditioner does have glycerine, but I live in the middle of the desert. No humidity to absorb. I do use extra moisturizing treatments to keep my hair from withering. So it seems like generally humidity encourages curls, and the crap water has a tendency to straighten and smooth. That makes sense. Instead of mourning my curls, I'm learning to take advantage of the straight and smooth, and appreciate it. I'll move back to the ocean eventually, and hopefully my waves will return.

Length
    10.5"/CBL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Have you used henna before? I've heard that tends to smooth out little waves and soften curls.
    Lady Vineglow, Sage of Knowledge, Bottle Blonde Cat-Lady of The Order of the Long Haired Knights!