Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straighties and finies with U-shaped hemline? How do I cut it?

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Straighties and finies with U-shaped hemline? How do I cut it?

I was wondering if there is anyone here with straight fine hair that thrives with U-shaped hemline. I really like the look of it but I am wondering if it would not make my hair look thinner like layers do. I would love to see some examples. I love how it looks a litlle bit more trendy too. I also need a way to explain to my mom how to cut this in and if she thinks she can't do it - maybe even do it myself. I don't want to cut the rest of my hair so I am not sure if any of the trimming methods that are popular here would be appropriate. Going to a stylist would be a last resort - I have not found a long hair friendly one yet. Any help would be much appreciated
    Last edited by Lexy; April 29th, 2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Typo in title

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Straighties and finies with U-sghaped hemline? How do I cut it?

Oh no, I messed up the spelling in the title. That is what you get for browsing on your phone

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I have a semi-U shape (but it's a little odd because I have about an inch of layers left on the bottom. I'm getting there though! I need to cut about another inch off and I don't want to give up the length just yet. I use Feye's self trim method.

My hair is insanely thick though, so the U shape doesn't hurt the thickness any.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Uses Feye's trimming method! It's so simple.
    1a/m/ii, going to classic!
    Ficcare Database - send me your photos by PM!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It might depend on the shape of your head, but this very easy routine gave me a U-hem.
    1) Part hair straight down the center.
    2) Comb both sides of your hair smoothly and evenly forward and make a single ponytail out of the two sides right under your chin.
    3) Comb the ponytail straight down.
    4) Close a book or other straight edge over the ponytail and slide it down toward the ends.
    5) Cut the ends straight across.
    Result:

P.S: I'm more a medium and wurly, but I combed my hair very straight to do this.

I never could get a consistent result with the Feye method. My hem would always slant from left to right, with the right being about 1 inch longer than the left.

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I used to have a U-shape, and now I have layers. The U-shape DEFINITELY made for a thicker hemline than layers. My hemline is so thin now with the layering technique I've been doing that I'm going back to a U-shaped hemline. I'm using spidermom's method. (sans book)
    Last edited by earthnut; April 28th, 2013 at 07:28 PM.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    It might depend on the shape of your head, but this very easy routine gave me a U-hem.
    2) Comb both sides of your hair smoothly and evenly forward and make a single ponytail out of the two sides right under your chin.
    4) Close a book or other straight edge over the ponytail and slide it down toward the ends.
    Result:

P.S: I'm more a medium and wurly, but I combed my hair very straight to do this.

I never could get a consistent result with the Feye method. My hem would always slant from left to right, with the right being about 1 inch longer than the left.
    That is a beautiful hemline, and that technique seems easier than Feye's method! I'm not sure if my hair is long enough to do it though.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Result:

That does sound simple (and your hair looks gorgeous), but this does affect other hair so I would not cut more than half an inch. However, how deep will my U be and can you control the depth by cutting more or less?

ETA: I have shown mom some pics and she doesn't look so terrified as the fist time I ever told her what I would like.

I see two potential benefits from this type of hemline - I "think" it would take off most of my still remaining bleached ends without huge loss of lenght and hopefully not all of my hair would cling together anymore and come all to the front.

If all goes well I could have this new style on Sunday . So any more input would be wonderful.
    Last edited by juliaxena; April 29th, 2013 at 02:48 AM.

Type
    1c/F/ii

http://www.mindsay.com/comments/casm...mws?mode=reply

This has a picture of a freshly cut u hemline and it made my hair look incredibly thicker! I highly recommend having a stylist do it as fine hair shows every mistake.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

If you only cut 1/2 inch, then your U is going to be very shallow.

I think the most I ever cut with this method is 2 inches.