Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokie and Girlcat36's AGO gel

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default Smokie and Girlcat36's AGO gel

I seem to be getting a bunch of credit for this, but it was Girlcat36 who gave me the idea. I just went shouting it everywhere I got the chance once I figured out proportions on it for my head.

AGO gel (if mixing just before putting on your head):
    ~1TBsp Aloe gel
    1/2-1tsp Vegetable Glycerin
    2-6 drops Oil of your choice (I use either jojoba or coconut as these are the two my hair seems to like the best)
    *Optional: a drop of your favorite EO for nummysmellyness.
    Mix in the palm of your hand and run through hair.

Tip: If you've made a bit too much (I do this alot), use any leftover goop on your knees, elbows, etc. Any dry spot really. It's a great skin moisturizer too.

I'm currently experimenting with mixing this in bigger portions to keep. I mixed up ~6oz of it (didn't measure anything, just eyeballed it and added more of whatever it felt like it needed, literally judged by touch) a while ago. I added a bit of vitamin E oil as a preservative and it's been almost a week. Seems to be holding up well so far. Smells just like it did initially. Didn't add any EOs to the mix as I didn't want them to mask any potential problems.

Enjoy!
    3b/c - F/M - ii
    Current length: 24.5" wet and stretched.

Tapioca

This is very similar to Kimberlily's defrizz spray. She adds distilled water to make it work in a mister.

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
    This is very similar to Kimberlily's defrizz spray. She adds distilled water to make it work in a mister.
    Hey so it is! Somehow I always manage to forget what goes in that. I believe it's smaller portions there though. And, obviously, I need more goopy things to keep my frizz in check. I do tend to use a mister with some condish, aloe, etc in it to dampen my hair on non-wash days.

Perhaps Kimberlily deserves some credit for this one too. Haha. Seems we have a bit of a collaboration going here.
    3b/c - F/M - ii

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

What does it do for you? Hold? Curls? I am curious.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    26 in/34.5/35 in
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

I also want to know what it does for you? If you keep it in the fridge that should extend its life.

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by physicschick View Post
    What does it do for you? Hold? Curls? I am curious.
    Well, I've got the crazy 3b/c curls no matter what I do. But if I don't put SOMETHING on them (generally something gel-like) my head turns into a big ball of undefined frizz. So, hold + moisture + curls. One thing I did notice is I was unable to get my bangs straight (I flat iron them) after applying the AGO gel. This gives me reason to believe it may encourage waves in those who need the help.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmay View Post
    I also want to know what it does for you? If you keep it in the fridge that should extend its life.
    True, keeping it in the fridge would extend the life. I'm experimenting at present. Keeping it at room temperature for the time being to see how long it will last that way. So far we're at almost a week with no ill effects. Still smells and feels like it should.
    3b/c - F/M - ii

Tapioca

For me, it keeps away the frizzies and makes everything sleek and smooth. I add some No More Tangles or Infusium, but I'm a cone-head. It's a good detangler for my five-year-old, too.

I've always kept it on the bathroom counter (and a 2oz sprayer of it in my purse), and it's never gone bad. And I live in the desert, so the purse one at least gets pretty warm.

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Where do you get the vegetable glycerin from? I'm betting its the natural food store, but what 'department'? I'm not very familiar with mine.
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
    For me, it keeps away the frizzies and makes everything sleek and smooth. I add some No More Tangles or Infusium, but I'm a cone-head. It's a good detangler for my five-year-old, too.

I've always kept it on the bathroom counter (and a 2oz sprayer of it in my purse), and it's never gone bad. And I live in the desert, so the purse one at least gets pretty warm.
    Good to know! Are you adding any preservative to it?

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinPrincess View Post
    Where do you get the vegetable glycerin from? I'm betting its the natural food store, but what 'department'? I'm not very familiar with mine.
    I order mine from From Nature With Love. I live in a small town so it's often hard to find things like that here. Price wasn't bad and I grossly overbought (just wanted it to make defrizz spray and Basketcase's gel, neither of which calls for much) so I have a 32oz bottle of the stuff with about 29oz left. Haha. I'm constantly trying to find ways to use the stuff. Not sure exactly where it would be in a health food store. I'm in them so rarely I have to wander aimlessly until I find things.
    3b/c - F/M - ii

Length
    Shldr/BSL/TB/CL
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie View Post
    Not sure exactly where it would be in a health food store. I'm in them so rarely I have to wander aimlessly until I find things.
    Haha! I do that too!!
    1st goal: BSL May 2009 ​re-reached late 2012 2nd goal: Waist Final Goal: TB or Classic