Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oils shown to penetrate the hair

Length
    35cm/86cm/100cm
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Oils shown to penetrate the hair

I know that people have seen the Beauty Brains article about oil here.

I'm wondering if anyone's already started mixing these oils and if you have an idea about which oils to mix or in what ratios please?
    "I can't stand makeup commercials. 'do you need lipstick that keeps your lips kissable?' no, I need lipstick that gets me equal pay for equal work. How about eye shadow that makes me stop thinking I'm too fat? Maria bamford" Conefree Conditioners in Oz

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Just play around with them and see what happens?

I usually just use Coconut oil because i tend to use ones with added goodies (dabur vatika, hesh bhringraj) but i've used avocado oil in the past and found it very good. I often add a bit to my henna mix and DT's.

I find it odd that they say Jojoba doesn't penetrate because quite a few times i've overoiled a bit at night with it and put it in a bun and gone to sleep but in the morning when i've taken my bun out any oilyness has gone.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Herb user/hair origamist icydove's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/ii

I think we discussed this particular Beauty Brains article on the former LHC. The study they reference does not appear to be accurate. Here is a summary of the article: http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/11413497 (registration is free). It only mentions coconut oil and mineral oil. It is possible they tested more oils and they didn't make it into the summary However, the title of the article is "Secondary ion mass spectrometric investigation of penetration of coconut and mineral oils into human hair fibers: relevance to hair damage."

I would love to see the actual study they are referencing, and if I remember correctly, ktani (I think) contacted them to try to find out about the discrepancy. To my knowledge, they never replied.
    Wash: shikakai and amla tea, Condition: hibiscus and elderflower tea with honey
    Leave-in: aloe vera gel and apricot kernel oil, Extras when needed: coconut oil and shea butter

Length
    18/24/28
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

icydove, is this the study you refer to on the Beauty Brains Blog?

'Scientists at the Textile Research (J. Cosmet.Sci 52, 169-184, 2001) tested Olive oil, Avocado oil, Meadowfoam seed oil, Sunflower oil, and Jojoba oil. Their results showed that straight chain glycerides like olive oil easily penetrate into the hair. Polyunsaturated oils , like Jojoba oil, are more open in their structure so they don’t pass through the layers of cuticles very well...'

It's under 'Two Natural oils that make your hair shiny and strong'.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

The researchers apparently also did several other papers with different oils.
    Original abstract on NCBI (No registration needed)
    2003 abstract adding sunflower oil
    2005 abstract mentioning olive oil
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've been using a blend for heavy oiling. It's castor oil, avocado oil and coconut oil mixed together. I don't have exact proportions. It feels very nice on the hair.

Type
    2b/C/ii

Celebrian, the study cited by the Beauty Brains, J. Cosmet.Sci 52, 169-184, 2001, only mentions coconut oil and mineral oil in its summary. I don't know where The Beauty Brains got the info on the other oils, but it wasn't the study they cited. Once again, I'm not looking at the actual journal, so it is possible they used other oils. However, based on the title of the study, it wouldn't have made any sense.
    Leave-in: aloe vera gel and apricot kernel oil, Extras when needed: coconut oil and shea butter

Length
    22/22/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Hmm, I'm not sure about the discrepency, but I can tell you that for my hair, coconut oil and olive oil work better together than alone. For heavy oilings, I take a dab of coconut oil (still hard) in the palm of my hand, put a few drops of olive oil on top of it, rub my hands together to warm the coconut oil and mix them together, and then apply on slightly damp hair before bed. It immediately softens my hair and gives it a pliable buttery texture. In the morning, my hair feels softer than with just coconut or just olive alone. I'm not sure if everyone will have the same results, but I am pleasantly surprised and plan to use both oils together for my heavy oilings.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

icydove, I don't suppose I can get a copy of that article, can I? My university doesn't have a subscription, so I've only been able to grab the abstracts.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2b/C/ii

Anje, I'm like you. I only have a copy of the abstracts via the Internet, so I'm not sure what the actual article says. The largest universities near me do not have it, either.