Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Had to cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder :,(

Length
    buzz/MBL/term
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Had to cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder :,(

With fine hair, I'd try protein treatments too. Protein is what hair is made of and helps strengthen the hair. Fine hair just has less of it than coarse hair, and so you may benefit from supplementing your hair with protein treatments.

GVP hair reconstructor is what I use, you can find it at Sally's Beauty Supply. Many conditioners also have protein, look for "hydrolyzed" in the ingredient list. You can use a high-protein conditioner as a protein treatment. Gelatin and liquid aminos are the most effective natural protein treatments, both found in the grocery store. Soy sauce, beer, coconut milk, milk, egg, and soy milk can all be used as protein treatments too. Coconut oil and other penetrating oils, though they don't contain protein themselves, help retain protein in the hair and you might want to use one between protein treatments.

For swimming in chlorine, I would apply coconut oil to my *dry* hair, do a quick rinse, go swimming, then use a 10% vinegar solution to rinse afterwards, finally rinsing well with water. Coconut oil helps to protect the hair from damage (you could use another penetrating oil too, or even conditioner) and acids like vinegar bind to and neutralize the chlorine. I don't think soaking the hair in water before swimming does anything. Oil is much more effective at protecting the hair.
    Last edited by earthnut; March 26th, 2013 at 11:59 AM.
    2c, average and healthy black platinum hair, MBL
    My hair loves stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, protein, preening, oils, and plopping
    My hair hates distearyldimonium chloride, quaternium-87, phenoxyethanol, brushes

Length
    CB/knee!/Knee
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose View Post
    I've never used bleach or anything like that (im too scared to )
    What sort of updos can you do with shoulder length hair? I know there's French pleats. I've always wanted my hair to look rennaisance - y , is there any thing I can do to make look more like that?
    And I should have come here first before I cut. :/ but at least it's extremely healthy now.
    You also can do a gibson tuck, a french twist, a head band curls , a sock bun. If you have some time you can try the crown braid. You can also do cute twist that attach to your scalp and them grab them all to a pony tail\little bun. I take this idea from lilith moon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyrLlFWaO_U
    And she also have this ones:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyq2CoXDEiI
    and this one great either:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H4RNAm7aec

I'm sorry about your hair cut. Try not think about the length now, and focus on hair health and learn some new hairstyles. Now when your hair short, you can try all the kinds of complicated braids (four strand french, five strand french, diagonal,cornrows, crown braid...) and when your hair will grow longer you will be already expert in that.
    Hair type: 2a\f\M\ii\iii Back to classic (again) April 2015.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Hmm I am sorry you had this experience. I really think you should have ignored the trichologist! You probably could have got away with a trim of 2-3 inches. But at least your hair IS healthy now and you've had a learning experience!! (And that's a good thing).

Of course, your hair will grow AND it will grow healthier if you care for it well! If it took you three years last time, at least you know how long it will take to grow your hair back this time. Also, shoulder length hair isn't so bad to style, because it's long enough to pull up! (And when you put it up you can sort of forget about it).
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    17.5"/36"/37"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

my 2 pennies for the cauldron...in your avatar, your hair looks wurly/curly...brushing might not be the best road

if you do lean to the curly side, have you tried the Curly Girl method?
    2015: 7" growth~~~2016: 5" growth
    Jan. 1, 2017: 36"
    hoping for virgin tailbone Summer, 2017

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

In case nobody has told you come join us over at the shoulder to APL group. I promise we are friendly! We can all grow together from our various bad hair behavior.
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Length
    12/14/20
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i

I know it's silly to cry over hair, but it's the only part of me that is remotely pretty, and I spent 3 years trying to get to waist. I really do hate it now, and it grows so slowly.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't put it into a bun, braid it or put it up ( just about goes into a ponytail) The only good thing is that it looks slightly pin up.
    thanks for all your help over the past year.
    OK what do you mean remotely pretty, I am looking at your profile picture and you are gorgeous!!

As far as suggestions, I second the Curly Hair Method for your curls.

I just wanted to lend my support, though I'm not great with advice for fine hair. I have some fine hairs, but most of it is generally indestructible. I guess the only thing I can tell you is that detangler spray is indispensible for curlies. I can't really comb or brush without it. My hair's strong, but goodness, I can't get a brush through it without oil or detangler, and that will snap it instantly.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm going to have to look into metal combs then
    It's probabal the chorines damaging it too, I just bought a after swimming shampoo to try and fix it, but I might just put my hair up when I swim.
    I'm pretty sure the 'after swimming shampoo' won't stop the chlorine damage one bit. It'll only (maybe) chelate the chlorine etc. out, which would prevent the chlorine build-up from causing tangles and general unmanageability. So, it'd stop any damage caused by trying to comb through the tangly-ness. It wouldn't do anything to prevent the actual bleaching from the chlorine.

I had to have my waist-length hair cut to level with my armpits in 2008. Before I'd had it cut I could tuck the ends into my waistband BUT I'd been in and out of hospital over eighteen months with stroke-related problems so hadn't been able to get into town for a trim for about eighteen months, resulting in the length but also A LOT of split ends. I was also growing out a fringe, which was down to bra-strap length.

When I was due to return to work, I needed to look smart, neat and professional so the only way to do this was to be drastic and have my hair cut to armpit-length, to get rid of my horrible split ends and the remains of my fringe. It took me four years to grow back what I'd had to cut off.

Now, back in December 2012 I decided on a change and had a fringe cut back into my hair - my avatar photo was obviously taken before I got my fringe back! - but I still have waist-length hair. And I make sure I take myself to a hairdresser every two months for a shampoo & blow-dry as well as a trim when necessary; I don't want to have split ends again!

Sometimes we longhairs just have to cut our hair short, whether to get rid of previous styling damage or split ends, but at least we are aware of how to keep our hair in good condition as we grow the length back again