Thread: Had to cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder :,(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Had to cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder :,(

I was an inch off waist lenght, I was so pleased that I had almost reached my goal. It had taken me 3 years from my starting point of a bob, and I was starting to experiment with buns and updos.
    anyway, my hair sheds a lot so I went to see a trichologist to see if anything was wrong. She told me that my roots were healthy, but the reason I was "shedding" was that my hair was breaking. She also told me that the viviscal / silicon tablets were useless so I should through them out ( that's £70 down the drain) but then she told me I had to cut my hair to shoulder lenght, which she still called long. I was horrified and really upset, at shoulder my hair poofs and I look like a poodle. And I was almost at waist. :/ anyway, I called my hairdresser, and my usual hair dresser wasn't in. But if I waited, I knew I would never let my hair be cut. So I went and got my hair cut by a hair dresser I did not know. Big mistake. It took the hair dresser under 10 minutes to cut my hair, and she charged me £20 as my hair was longer than usual.
    I got home and hated my hair, and after inspection I found that the right side was an inch longer than the left -..- this made me hate it even more.
    Anyway, I phoned my usual hair dresser explaining that I was not happy, and she saw me earleir today and fixed my hair. To took her over 30 minutes. Im very grateful to her, she really is awesome
    I know it's silly to cry over hair, but it's the only part of me that is remotely pretty, and I spent 3 years trying to get to waist. I really do hate it now, and it grows so slowly.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't put it into a bun, braid it or put it up ( just about goes into a ponytail) The only good thing is that it looks slightly pin up.
    thanks for all your help over the past year.

Length
    22/38/44
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: Had to cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder :,(

But why were you told to cut to shoulder? Because of breakage? Alot of people have breakage and keep their length. Babying it and trimming to get rid of damage gradually.
    I know its upsetting loosing length but why do it straight away because you we're told to?
    Or am I missing something?
    I'm a little confused, sorry =)
    I hope fir a speedy growth spurt soon for you lol

Type
    1a/F/i

At shoulder length you can still put it into a French pleat which is a gentle hair style provided you use the right accessories to pin it. It can be done with just hair clips. I am so sorry about your bad experience. Why was your hair breaking? Did the trichologist explain that to you? I'm surprised that she said the viviscal tablets were useless, because I thought that was a well known and respected product. I think you need to find out why your hair was breaking. Perhaps you were using harsh hair accessories. Until I came to LHC I never thought about the "shedding" bit. Since I thought that was normal part of the hair cycle anyway, you lose hair that has reached the end of its cycle and new hairs sprout in return and I don't seem to shed a lot anyway (touch wood). I am sad this happened to you. But shoulder length hair is still pretty and you can wear nice updos.

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Strange? I meant strand. Sorry, autocorrect corrected me wrong.

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

@zenazoo @anglelica I had to cut it too shoulder because I had breakage up the strange, so the hair was was breakear at around shoulder lenght. My mother wanted me to do it as fast as possible, thats why I got it done. Apparently the breakage was sun damage, which is understandable since I go to Florida a lot. Thanks for the advice of French pleats, I'll have to check that out.

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Hair is just hair and it does not define whether or not you are pretty. Hair does not make people pretty. Instead of focusing on the loss of your length how about you focus on the fact that you have now (presumably) cut off all the damage and you have the opportunity to do the right things to your hair this time so it doesn't end up damaged again? Fresh start, fresh ends. Next time you get to waist it can be undamaged if you protect it.

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.

Type
    1a/F/i

Sun damage Please remember to protect your skin. I think there are conditioners or shampoos that you can purchase that protect hair from sun damage. Wearing a sun hat will also help I think Florida is beautiful, I've never had the chance to go. But the sun isn't kind on hair or skin unfortunately Your hair will recover in time and may return to waist length quicker than you thought possible if you baby it. Take care

Really Should Be Writing Unzadi's Avatar
    Length
    12/16/28
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Sounds like you really liked the near-waist legnth, so you know what to look forward to at this new stage of your growing journey. Losing a lot of legnth at once time, when one doesn't want to, can be traumatic, so it's normal and natural to be upset over that. On the plus side, as said before, you've got a chance to grow your hair out healthier this time. This time, your waist legnth hair will be even more gorgeous, because you have a chance to do it all over again, with better care/gentler accessories/more sun protection.

French pleats can be stunning, and this is a chance to play with styles that are trickier to do with longer legnths. Use this as playtime, and play up that pinup factor if that sounds fun.
    Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead -- Lucille Ball

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Oh no. I think your trichologist was full of it and you should not have cut but what's done is done. I'm so sorry.

Now you have a fresh start though! that's the good news. So baby your hair, keep it well moisturized and protected. Wear a hat to protect from sun.

At that length I think claw clips and gentle pony elastics were my friend. I used to do a style where I would pony my hair in a half up, then pony all of it. It looked cool and made it easier to control the shorter hair. Happy growing!

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Huge Tolkien Nerd! Long_hair_bear's Avatar
    Length
    bob/41.25/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

If someone told me to cut my hair, I'd look at them like they were crazy, like they just suggested I cut off my arm. I have some bleach damage still, but I'm very gradually cutting it off. Whats done is done and I'm sorry for your loss, but like omeone else said, at least you get a fresh start. Many of us don't get that. I'm sure you don't look like a poodle; remember that you are your own worst critic!

“Some of the worst mistakes in my life were haircuts." - Jim Morrison
    "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her." 1 Corinthians 11:15
    *UNICORN* Looking for Maxima Diamond Two toned Amethyst in Large