Thread: Help With Putting Knee Length Hair Into a Short Wig! (For Cosplay)

Length
    TBL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Question Help With Putting Knee Length Hair Into a Short Wig! (For Cosplay)

Hi everyone,

I need some help and tips on fitting my knee length hair into an approximately slightly longer than shoulder length wig. Is it possible? What hair style could I use? What sort of pins? Can it be comfortable? Etc.

Some tips I've already gotten:
    - Try using milkmaid braids
    - Use hairpins, not bobbypins and put the hairpins through the wig cap to prevent the wig from slipping
    - Use a wig cap similar to my wig color

My Hair Length (Taken about 6 months ago): http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/...ps15de5764.png
    Similar Wig Length: http://www.lookoflove.com/p/303/942-...der-length-wig

I'm not very good at doing hairstyles so I will have to do some practicing with what you all can suggest. I haven't received the wig yet, but the event is coming up soon so the sooner I can get advice and practice the better. Thanks!

Length
    bsl/37"/50"
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: Help With Putting Knee Length Hair Into a Short Wig! (For Cosplay)

I don't have any tips myself, but I do remember TorrinPaige making a video on how she got her Classic length hair up under a wig.

ETA: Here it is! I hope it's helpful
    Last edited by bettylibertine; March 26th, 2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: ETA
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Classic I go
    Hairstyle Blog

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

My hair is only just past waist, but I regularly wear a wig that is an inch long all over! What I do is wrap my hair lose, not coiled or braided, around my head, pinning as I go (I use LOTS of bobby pins, as many as I need for it to stay up). Start in the outside of your gem was, and just wind it around and around, pinning as you go. Once its all pinned, I pop a wig cap over the top, and tuck in any whisps I've missed it takes practice, but it really is do-able, and I recently fooled everyone at work with it-they all thought I'd cut my hair off so it doesn't show either.
    Obviously, your hair is much longer than mine, but how thik is it? Mines a good iii, a 4 1/2 inch ponytail. If yours is less thick (even if its not) you should be able to do it. With a wig that length and colour, you could even leave a 'tail' of your own hair at the back, as its very similar to your colour, so less to wrap

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Crown braid maybe ?
    1a/m/ii, going to classic!
    Ficcare Database - send me your photos by PM!

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Wig caps and folding.

1. Folding: Take your hair in a loose ponytail at the nape of your neck and fold toward your forehead. Hold in place at your forehead (or pin lightly) and then fold back toward your nape. Repeat until all hair length done. You could also do a dooby, but I don't know how well straight hair will stay in those. The whole point is to try to accordion your hair over your skull and have it be as flat as possible.

2. Apply first wig cap. It will be a mess with things sliding all over the place. Take your time and try to keep your hair as 'flat' as possible under the wig cap, removing as many pins as possible to help keep things flat.

3. Squish your hair again with a 2nd wig cap. This makes your head into a nice shape again for the wig.

4. Adjust the wig circumference at the back and put it on, applying the nape part first. Pin in place with a a pin at each side of the forehead and at each side of the name, being sure to secure those pins to the topmost wig cap.

Voila!

Warnings: This will be HOT. Like, you'll feel like you're wearing a winter hat all day long. This is why I usually only wig during the winter.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    32/32/44
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

When I wear my hair under a wig I usually do twin french braids down the sides of my head and wrap them up and around as needed. Then a wig cap, and then bobby pins. It keeps the wig looking even so it won't be solid on your scalp but it won't be all lumpy either, and the pins hold WAY better with those side braids. My hair isn't nearly as long as yours but the idea works the same you just have to coil a few more times.

Length
    BSL/26.5"/HIP
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I've never worn a short wig, but pin curls worked decently the one time I wore a longer one. The girl who helped me would just make a lot of small pincurls, use a zillion small bobby pins, and spray the whole thing with strong-hold hairspray. Then she'd put a wig cap on me and pin the wig down with bobby pins (a lot of them). You probably wouldn't need the hairspray, but I didn't even know it was damaging at the time!

Length
    Bob/67"/67"
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

My hair is mid calf and all the folding and braiding in the world won't make it fit under a wig. A wig made for larger heads might work, though. I can sometimes cheat by pinning some hair up under my wig, then folding the rest of my hair up and hiding it under my shirt. The hair of the wig hides where my hair goes down my shirt. This wouldn't work with a super short wig, though.
    iii 2b F 62"

Length
    TBL/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Thanks everyone a lot for all the tips and ideas! I'm trying them all out to see what is best. So far some work better than others. All I know is pincurls are definitely out. Too much hassle than it's worth for hair this long. :P My hair got very tangled trying to take them out. My hair is pretty thick, ii-iii. Any more suggestions and tips would be helpful!
    Last edited by Aerith; March 27th, 2013 at 05:51 PM.