Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Had to cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder :,(

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Had to cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder :,(

You say that you BBB it. Is it possible that you're one of the people for whom BBB is damaging? I know there are long-haired beauties here who swear by it, but there are others how find it shreds hair. Just a thought since it looks like you're doing so much else right Oh-- and you have good nutrition?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    What your trichologist said is total BS, IMO. The reason you're shedding is because your hair is breaking? Come on! It would have to be breaking at the root for that, which is near to impossible - just like that. But you cut your hair. You listened to her. Why, I wonder? But anyway... What's done is done.

You can try wearing it up a lot. A peacock twist is a nice way to wear it up.
    My take on this is that OP thought it was shedding, but the trichologist pointed out that it was breaking off instead.

I think I'm going to keep most of my length but have a layered cut. I hate how my hair looks like a heavy cape blunt cut the way it is now. It's only pretty from a distance when I've recently combed it. I can't wear it down very successfully because it's all over the place and tangles like crazy.

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

@winship2 yep, nutrition is good I'm not sure, it might be :/ maybe I should just try the de tanglling brush for the next month and see what happens... :/

the reason why I had to cut it at shoulder level was because it was breaking at shoulder level, and so it looked like it was shedding as so much was coming out. It wasn't actually shedding, the trichologist was right it had to be cut. Otherwise it would keep breaking.

Length
    -/TB/Knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Oh hun I hope your hair grows really fast now that the breakage is undercontrol. When I realised my hair wasn't 'growing' due to breakage I started trimming and was amazed at how fast it really grew take a good multivitamin (prenatals are great) and get your iron levels and thyroid checked if you haven't already and you could be pleasently surprised in a couple of months

I also have to add that if that's you in your avatar you're really pretty!
    1c/2a - F - ii/iii - Bottle Blonde since 2010
    TB Classic FT Knee
    Stuck at TB for four years due to undetected breakage.

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

@fantak I'm getting my iron checked Monday, i have had problems with it in the past :s thank you, that's so kind!

Length
    -/TB/Knee
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I second not using a BB on fine hair. It can be very rough on it and definately won't help the breakage.
    1c/2a - F - ii/iii - Bottle Blonde since 2010
    TB Classic FT Knee
    Stuck at TB for four years due to undetected breakage.

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Oh ok. Is a tangle teezer the same as a BBB, will i get breakage from that too? I'm just wondering what I can use instead.

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by darkrose View Post
    @naidryade I usually put it in two braids ( tied off with ribbon) or a bun that was done with butterfly combs. Washed it twice a week, shampoo and conditioner and oiled it every night. I used a silk sleeping cap and a BBB brush (detangling the hair first ) and I S and D it every 2 months or so. But my hair is like babies hair, it's so fine. It just looks thick because each strand likes its own personal space. I'm not entirely sure what else I can do for it apart from protecting it from the sun.
    Well, you're certainly doing a lot right! I agree that the BBB might be a big part of your problem... it can be really damaging for some people's hair. What do you detangle with? If your comb has seams that can rip the hair too. Also, what shampoo and conditioner do you use? Is it possible that your shampoo is too harsh for your fine hair, leaving it more fragile and prone to breakage?

Many people (myself included) have a point at which damage becomes more likely, especially when worn down or in braids, because that's where your hair starts rubbing chairs, couches etc. For me, that's APL-BSL, for some people it's not until waist, and for you it sounds like it's shoulder. As your hair gets longer again, if you put it in two braids (also a favorite hairstyle of mine) take extra care to pull it in front of your shoulders when sitting, driving etc--that might help.
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!

Amid the rocks and trees of Northern Ontario
    Length
    NA/42/term
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Oh ok. Is a tangle teezer the same as a BBB, will i get breakage from that too? I'm just wondering what I can use instead.
    No, a Tangle Teezer is NOT the same as a BBB. It's a little plastic miracle, no boars or bristles involved. If I'd had one three years ago my hair would be at least twice as thick at length than it is now. I used to pull a small fist-sized ball of hair out of my brush daily. Now it's just a few hairs, normal shedding. No breakage. YMMV
    (I HATE BBB's, they make my hair flat and then shred it)

Length
    12"/35"/35"
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I mostly just detangle with my fingers. In the shower, whether I shampoo & condition or condition-only, I carefully put the fingers of my right hand into my hair and then use my left hand to pull the sections of hair apart from each other. This gets the hair mostly in alignment (my hair is 1b), and then I move to combing my fingers through my hair. CO does really seem to reduce tangling at the ends once I'm out of the shower and "combing" it through with the blunt end of an old metal crochet hook-- NOT THE HOOKED END!! I only do that enough to get the hair strands all pretty much in the same direction. Then I let it dry and gently detangle and "comb" with my fingers as it dries, and maybe at the end gently comb with a wide-tooth comb, perhaps putting a tiny dab (size of a small grain of rice) of coconut oil in the ends to help it stay detangled.

I figure I always have my fingers with me and they are more sensitive to noticing a tangle as they run through my hair than any comb or brush could be. But a good wide-tooth comb does smooth the hair more effectively and helps it look sleek.