Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hello :-) and a few questions about Henna

Oh, the humidity! woolyleprechaun's Avatar
    Length
    1inch/38/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: Hello :-) and a few questions about Henna

I put a fair amount of lemon juice in my mix, but not all (that would sting to high heaven) and make the rest up with chamomile tea. It just seems to give a brighter colour, for me. More yellow-y. And it seems to soften the lemon juice sting, too. Its very much a personal thing, I think.
    Now measuring in at 37 inches, or BCL. Classic by Christmas '15 is a real possibility! Yeah, that's my clothes horse in the pic. I'm that glam.
    Lady Maurelle of the Soggy Nation

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I'm not certain why people tend to like chamomile tea, honestly. Some websites seem determined to tell you that henna should be mixed with lemon juice in order to get color, and that's plainly not true. Even with my hard water with stunning alkalinity (that's a water-specific term for buffering capacity), henna gives great color when mixed with warm water. And the one time I did mix henna with lemon juice, my hair and scalp were horribly dry; I had a rash on my ears from the dryness. Never again am I doing that!
    I love chamomile tea because it makes my scalp happier than straight water, and it's another natural hair conditioner. It doesn't do anything color wise.

And I second never using lemon juice. My hair and scalp and ears were so dry, and experiments since then have shown that the high acidity of lemon juice actually reduces the staining power of henna, not increasing it like is often claimed.

Oh, the humidity! woolyleprechaun's Avatar
    Length
    1inch/38/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Oh, and just a thought..... If you do lighten prior to henna (I wouldn't reccomend it as you have used lush blocks with indigo in, it seems) you would have to bear it in mind when doing your roots. I henna'd over old highlights and got a flaming orange-red, but then my roots (obviously) took on a darker colour. Fast forward a couple of years and you have bright cinnamon ends and a foot of auburn hair I just henna the ends to match the rest every now and again, so it basically makes pre lightening pointless unless you are going to be lightening the roots prior to every touch-up..if that makes sense.
    Now measuring in at 37 inches, or BCL. Classic by Christmas '15 is a real possibility! Yeah, that's my clothes horse in the pic. I'm that glam.
    Lady Maurelle of the Soggy Nation

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    I love chamomile tea because it makes my scalp happier than straight water, and it's another natural hair conditioner. It doesn't do anything color wise.

And I second never using lemon juice. My hair and scalp and ears were so dry, and experiments since then have shown that the high acidity of lemon juice actually reduces the staining power of henna, not increasing it like is often claimed.
    This is the same for me, I found anything else to be a bit drying on my already dry (but oily!) scalp. I've never tried it with lemon, but just knowing its drying puts me off trying it at all.

I actually bleach sections of my hair before henna-ing over them, my hair is quite dark, and I like the more coppery shades, so this gives me copper highlights. It is a pain to keep up though, I don't redo the bleach every henna either (or at least I won't, I've only hennaed once since bleaching so far). I plan to do the bleached roots just once a year to minimise damage (I pre-oil when bleaching too to cut damage), and so far I'm loving the effect of the highlights.
    Last edited by Bagginslover; March 16th, 2013 at 03:47 AM. Reason: spelling

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Type
    1b/F/i

Hi everyone, thanks for all of your really helpful replies. I am such a wimp, I've been hesitating over doing this Henna powder as I'm scared I'll never be able to have brown hair again, but, then I figured that my brown hair was pretty warm anyways, so even if in the future I *do* change my mind and want to go back I will just persist with Lush Brun, even if it means I have to do it more regularly. It's no big deal. So...I've decided, no lemon juice and copiuous amounts of camomile tea. I'm also mixing with Cassia to get a more copper tone to it. Cassia on order so as soon as it arrives I'm going to do it!

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Oh I wish I'd known, I have packets of Cassia here doing nothing! I decided not to use it after receiving it.

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Bagginslover View Post
    Oh I wish I'd known, I have packets of Cassia here doing nothing! I decided not to use it after receiving it.
    What changed your mind about using it, if you don't mind me asking? :-)