Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me decide! One length curly hair pictures?

Length
    short/APL/HIP
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Help me decide! One length curly hair pictures?

For a long time I've been wondering whether I should cut my hair one length or not and I think I've finally made up my mind and I'm going for it. The only thing that worries me is that a lot of people claim that curly hair shouldn't be cut like that cause your head will look like a triangle after. I tried to find pictures of one length curly hair to see if this is true but I can't find much. I would apreciate if anyone with pictures of curly hair cut one length would contribute to help me make my final decision!

Byt he way, this is how it looks now...
    Last edited by alexandros22; February 28th, 2013 at 07:50 AM.

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Default Re: Help me decide! One length curly hair pictures?

Ok i'll give this one a shot even though my hair texture has somewhat changed, but i'm still a wurly depending on the humidity. I did a blunt cut trim back when I was at shoulder length.

For some reason it looked nice for a couple of months until I reached BSL where I started getting tapering as my hair gets longer, my texture as you can see in my current pictures is much different now and a lot thinner as my hair gets longer. I plan to just wait until I reach my goal of classic length where I will be able to maintain a blunt cut. It is possible for us wurly/curly peeps to get a blunt cut, but since our hair is not straight be aware that it can change as your hair gets longer or until you reach your goal where you can get regular blunt trims to maintain. What is your goal length? Maybe that will shed some light for me.

ETA: Ok I've re-read your profile and it says your goal is hip length. If that is the case, then I'd wait until a lot of your hair reaches hip length (just make sure you do the occasional S&D along the way), maybe an inch or two past hip and then get a blunt cut. Also if you like to wear buns then a blunt cut can be more challenging then if you had a "v" or "moon shape" hemline. I know with my U- hemline making buns is less problematic now then when I had a blunt cut cause I'd have to pin down hairs that stick out when I tuck it in. However, if you like to wear your hair down most of the time, then go for it, just remember that it will take a lot slower for you to reach your goal length of hip if you have to keep making blunt trims the moment it looses its form. It really depends how fast you want to reach your goal. If you want to take your time then you'll have the luxury to do so, but if you want hip length really fast, then I'd avoid trims and S&D only if you need it. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by rowie; February 28th, 2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added more

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I am a curly and when I do wear my hair down right now I do look kind of like a triangle head however two factors are keeping me blunt:
    1 I wear my hair up or braided pretty much all the time so the uniform length keeps me looking more put together.
    2 when my hair gets longer I will want the thickness for the odd occation that I do wear it down.
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Length
    30/34/45
    Type
    3b/M/ii

I can't find any pictures of me with my hair down in a blunt cut (I had one for a long time in school, but I seem to have always been wearing my hair up), but I think whether it works for you depends on what you're going to do with your hair.

When my hair was down I did have a triangle head, especially when my hair was shorter. But since my hair was up most of the time, it wasn't noticeable or a problem, and as SerinaDaith mentioned, it can make updos look neater.

Now that my hair is longer, I keep it layered. If it's all one length and I wear it down, my hair is kind of flat down the length and then curls/poofs a lot, but only at the bottom, I find the layers and v hemline give me more volume and better curl through the length of my hair, not just at the ends.

34in, 3b, M, ii

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

at lengths shorter than mbl i get triangle head because even though im only 2c/3a, the mixed texture of it creates a lot of volume. You have a good deal of thickness and volume in your curls too and i think at this length you would get triangle head. I am most def of the opinion that curlies should have layers until they get longer however not everyone thinks like that. My moms fiance really liked my moms triangle head especially when some of the bits poofed up at the sides like this http://girlwithflask.com/wp-content/...angle-head.jpg

She grew it to bsl stretched and i cut a very soft u with light layering on the bottom 2/3 inches and face like this https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...PAaVgw5ThzWSXD
    which i think is a much more flattering cut.

Btw my mom has 3a/3b curl coarse hair with afro texture so your results may vary in the triangle stakes.
    Last edited by goldloli; February 28th, 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

oh and an unrelated lovely pic i found of 3b/c hair that looks divine

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Once you grow your hair long, it won't look triangle - it just hangs better.

Mine layered

One length (for the most part)
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

Type
    3a/M/C/ii

BTW, Your hair is gorgeous! I love the cut, the curl and the color!
    I should have never cut my hair! Growing again.
    http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/0/1803120/9931107/4512comp-vi.jpg

Length
    17/19/39
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by goldloli View Post
    oh and an unrelated lovely pic i found of 3b/c hair that looks divine
    This girl and kitschy have my dream hair

Like kitschy mentioned, it hangs differently at different lengths. For my personal taste, I think a blunt cut for curly hair looks better once it's BSL or longer, but, ya gotta do what makes you happy!

I think your hair looks gorgeous as is, alexandros22!
    Last edited by SugarPlumDreams; February 28th, 2013 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Forgot something
    A Year Without Trims: 2013
    JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec
    Last Cut: Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Wow Kitschy; that's some gorgeous hair ya got there!

Layered:

Compare that to my signature picture (blunt cut). With one-length hair, I've lost curl, and it looks more like a cape now. I think I hate it.
    Last edited by spidermom; February 28th, 2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: forgot something