Thread: Hopefully last Henna question!

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Hopefully last Henna question!

Well I finally did my full head henna a few day ago and I'm not really sure where to go from here. My length ended up a coppery color but not as red as I would have liked. I did a 50/50 red raj henna/cassia w/ chamomile and some cinnamon for the scent. My roots are a few shades darker than my length but I want a more red color. I know I should at least do 1 or 2 more applications to get the length darker but I don't want to darken the roots. So I'm wondering if any of you have done this or have any advice on what to do to even out the color without making the roots darker. Should I add more henna and less cassia? Is it possible to not do the roots at all or would avoiding them after changing my mix make it worse? I have a public album of my hair if that would help (I'm not sure how to go about uploading them to a post)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Hopefully last Henna question!

I looked at your pictures, but I can hardly see a difference between the roots and the length.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    18?/24/27
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I noticed that henna is incredibly forgiving and always blends wonderfully, no matter what variations in shade. My issue was always having lighter roots, and darker length. No matter what though, it always blended well and was not even noticeable unless I picked it up and really looked at it hard.

If it were me personally, I would just do a solid all over henna application...Skip the cassia.

But...That is me, and not you, so I really don't know if that is much help.
    Taking an LHC break.

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Maybe it's just me seeing the roots so easily, I have been known to over scrutinize my hair lol. I think I will try an all over just henna but probably not the red raj since it's supposed to be more of a rose red. I need to figure out a good mix for a deep copper red then I think I'll be happy. Thanks for the input!!

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Yay, the colour is so beautiful!
    I didn't see a difference between roots and lenght, in your photos - like lapushka said. Its all nice and even, to me. But I knew that its pretty normal for roots to be a smidge darker: the scalp is always warmer, so a subtle difference in oxidation its very normal - probably something that just you will notice. Maybe it could be that...
    As for the "redder", you can mix more henna than cassia, next time. Or find a copperier henna and do a full application. But since this is your first application, I think there's no need to rush: a second and a third application will probably be enough to make it redder. IMHO, the jump between "not red enough" and "very red" is almost too easy, expecially if you work with BAQ henna.
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Length
    SL/APL/TBL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Moroccan henna is more of a coppery color if you can find some! It has a much lower dye content and wouldn't require added cassia.