Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about moisturizing and curls?

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Question about moisturizing and curls?

I have some questions about my hair and what people say to get your hair to curl

Some say to bring out curls you have to moisturize your hair but when I do this(i do this alot) my hair turns out straighter for some reason,when I dont moisturize like say after I clarifye with nothing after, my hair is curlier, same thing happens when my hair gets dried out it gets little curls or when its waxy I get spiral curlies. I dont understand it at all,does anyone?

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Default Re: Question about moisturizing and curls?

Hmmm it's hard to tell if I don't know the products, routines, and methods you do on a daily basis. Do you use some kind of natural oil like extra virgin olive oil or coconut oils, for some people who use oils, it will accentuate their waves or curls. Do you use sulfates and follow it up with a coney conditioner? Some people experience straighter hair with this method. It is really interesting though what you are going through, maybe your hair is naturally more straight?

Type
    3a/M/ii

I can't say why -- I'm no scientist. But this makes me think of salt sprays to encourage curl, etc. My hair tends to be "curlier" when dried out, but only a little. It's not worth the difference in softness and frizz.
    Only a short while ago, if I wanted to wear my hair down and be sure it looked great, I would use shampoo (which I hardly ever use). Sulfates dry out my hair just the right amount, curl-wise.
    To my mind, moisture is more for curl definition than for the actual tightness of curls.

What do you do when you "moisturize"?

Interesting topic. I have to see what others will say.

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rowie View Post
    Hmmm it's hard to tell if I don't know the products, routines, and methods you do on a daily basis. Do you use some kind of natural oil like extra virgin olive oil or coconut oils, for some people put oils will accentuate waves or curls. Do you use sulphates and follow it up with a coney conditioner? Some people experience straighter hair with this method. It is really interesting though what you are going through, maybe your hair is naturally more straight?
    I use no cones, I use sulphate free shampoo,I use olive oil,vatika coconut oil,argan oils before and after shower,henna. When I use conditioner I put honey and oils in it to mosturize it all the time. I use matrix biolage conditioning balm with honey and I wash once a week.

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCurls View Post
    I can't say why -- I'm no scientist. But this makes me think of salt sprays to encourage curl, etc. My hair tends to be "curlier" when dried out, but only a little. It's not worth the difference in softness and frizz.
    Only a short while ago, if I wanted to wear my hair down and be sure it looked great, I would use shampoo (which I hardly ever use). Sulfates dry out my hair just the right amount, curl-wise.
    To my mind, moisture is more for curl definition than for the actual tightness of curls.

What do you do when you "moisturize"?

Interesting topic. I have to see what others will say.
    Yah I have to use a sulphate poo to make the curls come. To moisturize I use honey oils and conditioner and heat cap ,sometimes I use natural hair masks too like yogurt,coconut milk and no curls after at all,its more straight :S

Type
    3a/M/ii

From your hairtype (it says 1c/2a on your profile) I understand that you're a wavy... So maybe the "moisture" weighs down your hair and makes it straighter.

Length
    Buzz/Calf/Class

Quote Originally Posted by littlestarface View Post
    I use no cones, I use sulphate free shampoo,I use olive oil,vatika coconut oil,argan oils before and after shower,henna. When I use conditioner I put honey and oils in it to mosturize it all the time. I use matrix biolage conditioning balm with honey and I wash once a week.
    That is really interesting. It sounds like you might have the type of hair where you would have to do braids or use rollers (over night, or other techniques that require heat free methods) if you want to really accentuate your curls or waves. Does your hair naturally loose it's curl or wave when you get braid waves for example?

ETA: I read your profile, and yes I agree with DarkCurls that maybe "moisture" might weigh down your hair.

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCurls View Post
    From your hairtype (it says 1c/2a on your profile) I understand that you're a wavy... So maybe the "moisture" weighs down your hair and makes it straighter.
    I never thought of that,so it makes my hair too heavy to hold a curl,that would explain it cuz when its nice and clean its bouncy and I get curlies.

Quote Originally Posted by rowie View Post
    That is really interesting. It sounds like you might have the type of hair where you would have to do braids or use rollers (over night, or other techniques that require heat free methods) if you want to really accentuate your curls or waves. Does your hair naturally loose it's curl or wave when you get braid waves for example?
    Yah I have to use braids to make it more wavey,even after I heavy oil it stays wavey, more so I should say. I never tried heat curls but if i try to do like sock curls or something it stays for long time.
    Last edited by littlestarface; February 18th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Type
    2c/C/iii

My hair is also curlier when it's drier/less moisturised, and I have heard other people on here say the same thing.

It seems like my hairs are stiffer/firmer when they're dry, so there's more hold to them, whereas they're a lot softer when moisturised. Sometimes if I want to curl my hair, I'll wash my hair with a sulphate shampoo first so that the curls will hold better. If I do something to moisturise my hair before curling it, however, the curls have much less hold to them and tend to straighten out after a while (such as the few times I tried aloe vera gel before curling because some people suggested using it to get more hold - it worked completely against its purpose for me).

For me, it's not so much that it feels like the moisture is weighing down my hair as that it simply makes it feel soft and slippery instead of "firm".

Length
    birth/CLASS/long
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Thinthondiel View Post
    My hair is also curlier when it's drier/less moisturised, and I have heard other people on here say the same thing.

It seems like my hairs are stiffer/firmer when they're dry, so there's more hold to them, whereas they're a lot softer when moisturised. Sometimes if I want to curl my hair, I'll wash my hair with a sulphate shampoo first so that the curls will hold better. If I do something to moisturise my hair before curling it, however, the curls have much less hold to them and tend to straighten out after a while (such as the few times I tried aloe vera gel before curling because some people suggested using it to get more hold - it worked completely against its purpose for me).

For me, it's not so much that it feels like the moisture is weighing down my hair as that it simply makes it feel soft and slippery instead of "firm".
    Well it's nice to see i'm not the only one experiencing this,I thought my hair was weird