Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Default Re: Am I being unreasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    The bottom will thicken as your layers catch up. If you baby the ends and do some s&d while trimming just the very bottom, they will catch up a lot faster. Layers will decrease the thickness of your hemline otherwise. You will grow them out a lot faster if you stop cutting them. This is what GrowingGlory is trying to say as well. Now, if you want the layers that is a different story and others here have suggested ways to self trim for layers. I have not tried them.

In any event, I would still suggest a good pair of scissors used only for hair (no paper!) to cut out any split ends you see. That should keep your hair in fine condition until you can see your sister next and you will have a nice sharp pair of nice new scissors for her to use as well. Win! Keep in mind, even if you feel your hem is a bit uneven, no one will be able to tell if your hair is up and that keeps them better protected as well. Plus that gives more chances to do cool buns and play with nice hairsticks.
    This pretty much covers my thoughts. S & D to keep the layers healthy, plus self trimming across the hem line. Clarifying followed by oiling should also help any dryness. This should help until it's possible for your sister to do it. You may find you no longer need her to.

Oh, for hair dressers, maybe ask them how much for a dry trim? Some salons are willing to do this at a much lower cost as the time taken up is reduced quite significantly.

Unicorn

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Thanks again everyone Until I get to see my sister again I will do what most of you suggested. Just to keep oiling and only trim the bottom myself. As I have mentioned before, $30 is not a lot for the service. I just can't necessarily afford that much right now.
    Shoulder/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist/Hip/Tailbone

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Vanille_ View Post
    My experience is that you often get what you pay for. Sure you might find a place who will only charge $10. Maybe the stylists who work there are desperate for the money and can't find a higher quality salon. Maybe it is because they are just out of school. I don't know... I would just be super careful about paying so little for something so important. DH gets haircuts all the time from different places. He won't go to get his hair cut at Walmart or other super cheap places because they do a bad job even though it is a simple cut.
    Not in SoCal where I lived. I payed over 80 bucks for layers, got a mullet and ended up a Monroe cut that looks hideous on me. Next time I went to super cuts and they did a way job for under 20 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwind View Post
    I live in Southern California, in the desert area unfortunately. The thing about going to a barber is I'm worried they also won't be able to trim the way I want it since they mainly specialize in men's haircuts, right? Lol
    I even rarely get my nails done because I think it's cheaper to do it myself. It doesn't look as nice, but I get the job done xD
    $15 doesn't seem so bad for a trim.
    They will do good. Just ask for any u cut or something basic. My friend went there all the time, her husband is a barber. He even put a weave on her once. It doesn't hurt to ask if they can do it and bring a picture.

I do it myself and cut my kids hair too and the teacher didn't believe I did, she said she's seen kids come from the hairdresser with just uneven cuts because they wiggle a lot. Maybe I should open a special needs salon? I can get my son who has SPD and issues with hair cutting to let me cuts his bangs and length. I am not above bribing.

I'd go with the crew clip if I were you.

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by leslissocool View Post
    Not in SoCal where I lived. I payed over 80 bucks for layers, got a mullet and ended up a Monroe cut that looks hideous on me. Next time I went to super cuts and they did a way job for under 20 bucks.

They will do good. Just ask for any u cut or something basic. My friend went there all the time, her husband is a barber. He even put a weave on her once. It doesn't hurt to ask if they can do it and bring a picture.

I do it myself and cut my kids hair too and the teacher didn't believe I did, she said she's seen kids come from the hairdresser with just uneven cuts because they wiggle a lot. Maybe I should open a special needs salon? I can get my son who has SPD and issues with hair cutting to let me cuts his bangs and length. I am not above bribing.

I'd go with the crew clip if I were you.
    I had almost the same experience. I paid $50 to get my hair fixed after I cut it all off, and the layers were so messed up and uneven, thinned out way too much, it sort of turned out like a mullet too
    Sometimes I do trust myself more to cut my own hair than someone else, and if I mess up I have no one to blame but myself, so I think I will stick with that
    I think a special needs salon is a great idea
    Shoulder/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist/Hip/Tailbone

Length
    Chin/TBL/44+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I'm an avid self trimmer, and when I was just starting out learning the technique, I only took off 1/4 inch at a time (even if it meant doing it 3 or 4 times in one go to get the inch trim I wanted) until I felt more confident. I'd recommend getting a good pair of hair scissors and trying out Feye's method like that, a little at a time - then if you mess up, it's not going to be noticeable and very easy to fix. Over time you'll get better and then you won't have to wait until you see your sister - you can trim as much as you want, whenever you feel like it, for free! I agree with other posters to S&D your layers too to help them grow out healthy (and since you'll have that shiny new pair of scissors, you could keep them by your computer and do a few strands every now and then so it doesn't feel like a big chore )
    <--Growing wavy virgin TBL hair, with long compact cut layers to Classic. 2b/M/C/ii low porosity.

Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    That's why I'm so thankful for Feye's self-trimming method. Are you sure you can't do this? It's a set of simple instructions to follow. How hard can it be? Although, my mom does it for me, according to those instructions, and she has to take off minimal 1 inch otherwise it ends up wonky.

If you can wait, wait for your sister to do it. Otherwise, I'd just go and pay the $30, or look around for barber shops in your area. They might do it for less.
    Shortly after joining LHC - many moons ago now - I attempted Feye's self-trimming method. With the scissors in my hand having spun into a fury of "get it even or die trying!"I was finally able to get my brain out of the trimming hypnosis and put the scissors down.

Around my feet was the 8" disaster I'd cut off in my still unsuccessful attempt to get the ends of my hair even all around. Rather than be bald - which was obviously the only way I was going to get my ends "even," - I turned away and tried to ignore it.

Now recently, years later, I have finally managed to even out the ends all around. But just by sight, not using a method.

So yes, for some people it is possible to fail with Feye's method - and fail horribly. This is not the fault of her method, but the blind-tunnel mindset of some one attempting to use it.... (
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life