Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I being unreasonable?

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Am I being unreasonable?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanille_ View Post
    It is someone's job, ya know? They often get paid in tips I think. How much of a tip can you expect on a $10 haircut? When I was a waitress I looked at it this way: If someone came and sat in my section and all they had was a soda and they read their book for an hour, they lost me money that I could have made if some people had come in to actually eat (and thus had a higher bill). So yeah ... they could either spend their time (which is worth money) giving you a $10 hair cut, or they could charge someone $20-$40 or do a big job like a dye or something and make a lot more. I've had really small trims before, and they sometimes took 30 minutes just because the person was being really careful since they knew how picky I was.
    Yep. My favorite customers were these two guys who came in every morning and often again in the afternoon for a cup of coffee each. They also left amazing tips because they knew my booth was valuable. Their cups were ready for them when they walked in the door, one with a glass of ice water beside it. That was ten years ago and I remember those details.

I know that in two or three years when I make an appointment with my stylist for a trim I will be paying her well for her time and expertise. I can't afford to go more often than that and I will put up with a ragged hem line (if that develops) and do my own S&D/microtrims to maintain healthy hair until I can justify the cost of her professional services.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I'd just buy a good pair of hair scissors. I think mine cost about the same price you are being quoted for a cut, but they have given me many many trims over the years!

Unless you actually want the layers, I would just go ahead and trim the bottom, letting them catch up on their own. I also hate layers, so... I am biased here! They make updos harder.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    10/28/32
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Um, having been a hairstylist for over 18 years, no one is forcing you to go to a salon that you feel costs more than you are willing to pay. Some salons services are not a la carte, meaning everything is packaged, so if you don't want a shampoo or blow dry then I suggest you find a salon in your price range that will provide the service you are looking for. Since you aren't just looking for a trim across the bottom and you are looking for your layers to be shaped up as well, maybe that is worth paying a little more than 10 bucks for.

Length
    21/24/32
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I understand where they are coming from, being a beauty therapist myself, they do need to make a living. And bringing your own product, well honestly I'd be offended if a customer would do that. But it annoys me that some (not all) hairdressers are insisting on washing, even if you don't want to. I don't force anything on my clients. I do explain why I do what I do and tell them it's their own responsibility if they decide they don't want it and the result ends up being less than what they expected. I can respect their choice, after all I work for them.
    If you don't feel it's worth it to pay that amount of money, then don't go to that particular hairdresser/salon. If you feel more comfortable with your sister cutting it and you save money with it, I wouldn't even consider going to a hairdresser if I were you. Wish I had a sister like that.

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Thanks for all of your input. I'm not trying to offend anyone that is a hairstylist, but like I said, considering my budget and how little I need done, I don't want to pay that much. If I was getting my hair cut in a completely different style and colored, then yes I would pay more. Every time I paid a hairstylist to do my hair I ended up paying way more than I wanted to and hated the results. So until I get to visit my sister again I will wait.

The stylist I'd be going to is a friend of my mom's, and she does her hair really nicely and she does do a good job. She's also asking the cheapest amount compared to any salon out here. I'm just so low maintenance, I don't need all of the extra things and I don't need to spend that much money on my hair :\
    Last edited by Ravenwind; February 15th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Shoulder/APL/BSL/MBL/Waist/Hip/Tailbone

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

You could just oil the ends of your hair and wait for your hem to thicken up.

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by GrowingGlory View Post
    You could just oil the ends of your hair and wait for your hem to thicken up.
    How would it thicken up by oiling?

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Also, just to explain myself a little further, I say I would pay $10 for a trim because what my sister has done was just a dry haircut on me. If someone can spend 10 minutes or so trimming my hair like that, then I'll pay that much. I'm not asking for a lot. lol

Length
    27 in/27 in/34 in

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    I'd just buy a good pair of hair scissors. I think mine cost about the same price you are being quoted for a cut, but they have given me many many trims over the years!

Unless you actually want the layers, I would just go ahead and trim the bottom, letting them catch up on their own. I also hate layers, so... I am biased here! They make updos harder.
    I actually don't want my layers, but I think they need just a tiny trim to stay smooth and healthy. Only reason why I'm contemplating this Otherwise I would just trim the bottom myself.

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I suggested oiling to remedy the dryness of your hair's ends and waiting for your layers to grow out which will thicken your hem.