Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Griveing my DD's hair :(

Length
    26/31/36
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Default Griveing my DD's hair :(

DD1 (age 9) decided a few weeks ago that she wants her hair cut. I managed to persuade her then to just cut a couple of inches off, and if she was happy with it and still wanted to, then we could take off a bit more. I thought I had got away with it, until today she declared that she wanted the rest off. Her hair was almost classic, in it's naturally curly state. She wanted it cut to "long" bsl.

I tried to get away with just cutting off 3 inches. She wanted more off. Another 3. Still not where she wanted it. I gave up at this point and just cut it to where she was pointing to, which has totalled a foot off. I know it's her hair and she has to be happy with it, but I feel quite sad about it, it was such beautiful, healthy hair, and has always drawn compliments from strangers. I do wonder if that may be some of the reason she wanted it cut though - so she isn't defined by her hair any more. It is still long by normal standards.

Does anybody else feel like this about their children's hair?

Length
    27"/35"/38"
    Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Griveing my DD's hair :(

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid-nina View Post
    DD1 (age 9) decided a few weeks ago that she wants her hair cut. I managed to persuade her then to just cut a couple of inches off, and if she was happy with it and still wanted to, then we could take off a bit more. I thought I had got away with it, until today she declared that she wanted the rest off. Her hair was almost classic, in it's naturally curly state. She wanted it cut to "long" bsl.

I tried to get away with just cutting off 3 inches. She wanted more off. Another 3. Still not where she wanted it. I gave up at this point and just cut it to where she was pointing to, which has totalled a foot off. I know it's her hair and she has to be happy with it, but I feel quite sad about it, it was such beautiful, healthy hair, and has always drawn compliments from strangers. I do wonder if that may be some of the reason she wanted it cut though - so she isn't defined by her hair any more. It is still long by normal standards.

Does anybody else feel like this about their children's hair?
    I don't have any kids, but when I was in kindergarten I had classic hair.. complete with banana curls. Strangers would come up touching my hair all the time and talking to my mom. She was paranoid and thought I was going to get kidnapped so she chopped it to shoulder :'(

Length
    24.4/29,5/31
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

She is a child. They love to try new things, it's natural and heathly devenlopment I think that she wants to try new things and that you let her.

However I would be a bit wary of if she was really determined. classic is unusual lenght for children and kinds love to bully others that are diffrent. Maybe be there was a kid at school who was jealous of her hair and made fun of it? Just saying.. I've heard that sometimes happens with grown-ups

She's a kid she can always grow it back, have fun stylin with her!

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Not really there yet, my kid likes long hair and it was me who cut it because it was getting too tangled and she would cry every time it got brushed. S I cut it back to close to shoulder and she asked me to fix her hair back to long. I was devastated but she's now happier while brushing. I think it was the fact that her baby hair was still there and wit was getting mixed with her coarse hair. Her hair doesn't tangle as much and she lets me touch it now to put up. I cut like 6 inches off, she's 3.

I think it's its great you are listening to your dd though, I had my hair cut against my will to pixie and it was traumatizing. I think that she's onl enough to understand how to care for it and its still pretty long.

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    26/31/36
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii/iii

Aw Samantha that's sad

I know she has been picked on for her hair in the past, but I don't think it's the issue now. She's never been particularly upset about anything people have said, she's just told me about it as a matter of fact. There have def been girls in her class jealous of her hair, and her looks in general - on the whole, her classmates are tall, blonde and bonny, and I think only 2 have got hair past shoulder length. She is very petite and olive skinned, so even without her hair length she stands out.

She does seem very happy with it, and I think the determination was more aimed at me - she's been the same over clothes, not in a nasty way, just firmly and politely informed me that she has her own style, and would like to change what I have bought her for something more "her". I do wonder if it's related to a 3 night school trip they have next month, as she struggles to manage her hair by herself. But as you say, it will grow back!

lesliscool, I have been close to that before with her hair. It's hard when they're so little. Bless them, neither of my daughter's (or me!) have had much hair until 3-4ish, then it grows like a weed past that age.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Good for you for letting her make her own choices about her hair and clothes!

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Oh, the humidity! woolyleprechaun's Avatar
    Length
    1inch/38/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do..... I'm not there yet myself (DDs are 2 and 3) but when I was around your daughters age, I had a very big chop too. You never know, she may want to grow it back eventually
    Now measuring in at 37 inches, or BCL. Classic by Christmas '15 is a real possibility! Yeah, that's my clothes horse in the pic. I'm that glam.
    Lady Maurelle of the Soggy Nation

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid-nina View Post

lesliscool, I have been close to that before with her hair. It's hard when they're so little. Bless them, neither of my daughter's (or me!) have had much hair until 3-4ish, then it grows like a weed past that age.
    My girl's hair grows. I cut a total of 16 inches already (to shoulder or BSL) in the past 2 years. But if you see one of her hairs you see the baby hair (super fine and soft) in the end and the new growth is darker and coarser like my hair. I've tried oils and putting it up it didn't work until I cut it. Now it seems like its growing straight and coarse along with it changing color.. Her twin brother's hair doesn't grow much and it doesn't tangle.

I think she's just trying to find herself, I'm glad she's happy and sh didn't get bullied into it. She sounds like a gorgeous girl!!!

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I don't have any children but changes are heathy for a child. She will someday decide to grow her hair long again.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    26/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I felt sad when cutting my daughters hair from knee to hip.. But it's a growing up thingy, they have to be able to decide things like that for themselves.. I like long hair now, she has to find out for her self.. At age 12, she just had it cut to around apl.. She's still the prettiest in the world tho