Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for people with seborrhoeic dermatitis...

Length
    21/24/32
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Question Question for people with seborrhoeic dermatitis...

Hello lovely people!

The Dutch hairforum I normally am on seems a bit deserted at the time (it might be because almost everyone has the flu), so I thought I might ask here. I mostly just read the topics (with a lot of interest) and don't participate as much as I would like to. But because of that I know you are always so nice and you all know so much! I really hope you can help me out with this, because I'm kinda lost at the moment.

I've been experiencing scalp problems about over a year now. I thought it was seborrhoeic dermatitis, but recently I've started wondering if it may be something else. Especially because I stopped having it for a while, but now it's back with a vengeance.
    So therefore I wanted to ask the people here with seborrhoeic dermatitis on their scalp or people with other scalp problems if they recognize the symptoms I have.
    This is my current 'symptoms list':
    - Flakes (they come loose after a day if I rub my scalp, but they aren't actually visible on my scalp)
    - Sand (tiny white granules)
    - Sore skin, some specific spots tend to hurt worse than the rest of my scalp (my scalp isn't red)
    - White gunk (it feels like a combination of sebum and the sandy granules)
    - My scalp feels terribly dry even though my hair is greasy
    - My hair gets greasy within hours after washing (I've had this for years btw), and the greasier it gets the worse my symptoms get
    - If I go too long without washing (mostly on the second day after washing) the flakes and itching start to spread over my face
    - The worst area is my hairline

Does this ring any bells for anyone? And do you have any advice? I'm contemplating on trying WO while continuing my scalp rinses in hopes it might do some good, but I'm fearful because I've heard from a lot of people that washing with shampoo is key when you have seborrhoeic dermatitis.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Question for people with seborrhoeic dermatitis...

I think it sounds as if you just have flakes. Try Head & Shoulders. Seriously. If it works, then fine. Problem solved, but if it's not enough to cure whatever it is your scalp is experiencing, then it might be SD, in which case I really recommend Nizoral shampoo.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1c/M/ii

I have sebhorrea and this sounds very much like what I go through. It is actually caused by over-active oil glands, though we tend to think it is dry skin/scalp and have this desire to moisturize - which only proves to make it worse.

Mine is much worse in the winter, though as I'm aging, the summer condition is catching up. I use a prescription ointment which really helps, but I don't know if it is available in the Netherlands, though I can't imagine there would be a similar ointment you could try:

Fluocinonide Cream, USP, 0.05%

Sure hope you find something that helps. And speak up again once in a while - even if there isn't a flu epidemic! (
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    21/24/32
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Funny to see that two people give two completely different answers. I've tried Head & Shoulders in the past, it was a disaster! It made it worse for me. I'm really hoping there is a more natural solution out there. Maybe I should just give WO another try and see what it does. It sounds like a sensible thing to do if you take in consideration that for some people it actually helps make the sebaceous glands less active. If it doesn't work than too bad, I can always try something else right?

Length
    SL/Class/?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Kayleigh, have you ever tried vinegar rinses? My scalp issues are very similar to yours, and when they start acting up vinegar rinses sometimes help.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If you're really that worried about it and it won't resolve itself on its own, then it's about time for the dermatologist.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/M/ii

If I were you I would go and see a dermatologist. It isn't save to self diagnose. The moment he tells you what kind of condition you have (or haven't) got, you can still come here and ask for advise.
    Going from your description I would think it could be psoriasis, seborrhoeic dermatitis and maybe a couple other things.
    Getting professional advise is always best, but that doesn't mean you need to take/use what he suggests if you don't like it.

Shldr - APL - BSL - Waist -Hip -BCL - Tailbone - Classic
    2a- M - ii

Length
    21/24/32
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have been doing ACV rinses for a while now and it does really help a lot. I've tried switching to white vinegar, because ACV makes my hair more red than I want to. But my scalp isn't responding too well to that.

This may sound a bit silly of me.. But I have a chronic illness and this seems such a minor problem compared to that. I think of my scalp problem as a nuisance. And I'm not really the person that goes to the doctor for things like that, unless I'm sure I've tried everything I can. I'm aware that if I want a diagnosis I should see a dermatologist, heck I've seen one many times before, but I just don't want to right now. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend anyone in any way. I'm glad you responded to my question. But I'm more interested in if there are people on here that recognize the symptoms and want to share their story and what has worked for them with me.

I'm pretty sure btw that it's not psoriasis, I've seen cases of psoriasis before (I'm a beauty therapist) and it doesn't fit.
    Last edited by Kayleigh; February 14th, 2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Grammatical error

Type
    2a/M/ii

No problem, I'm not one to go to the doctors myself unless it is absolutely necessary to be honest.
    But I do not have anything else to offer to help. Unless maybe infusing your vinegar with herbs ? You can look up what kind of herbs go with your hair and the problem you have and then infuse them in the oil (or if you can't get them fresh use some EO's)
    Hope you can find something that helps

(BTW as a former sales person for beauty products I saw a lot of people with psoriasis as well, but it is hard to 'diagnose' something by description only, I think)

Shldr - APL - BSL - Waist -Hip -BCL - Tailbone - Classic
    2a- M - ii

My husband has sebhorratic dermatitis. Water only washing worsened his condition. He needs daily washing with a dandruff shampoo and daily washing of his facial skin with a soap bar. He spot treats any spots/scales on his face with hydrocortisone cream that was prescribed.

This is a problem that needs a doctor. Especially if commercial dandruff shampoos aren't working. I would recommend trying a "clinical strength" dandruff shampoo, like nizoral or dandrene or selsun blue. And use it everyday, lather full strength and let sit for a good long while, maybe 5 mins. Then rinse.