Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me diagnose my hair

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Default Please help me diagnose my hair

I've been reading about the strand test for moisture vs protein needs of hair, and I'm not quite 'getting it'. I also read the article that is posted here about diagnosing hair (authored by Kirin) But I still don't quite get it! My hair does seem to stretch some, if I test a shed hair, but I'm not sure how much it is 'supposed to'. I'm also not sure what the difference is between 'bunched up' hair and 'wadded' hair.

One thing my hair does that I've not seen described, is, if I do a strand stretch test, some of my shed hairs (particularly the longer ones) when they break, the ends where the break occurred roll up in a tight curl that is far curlier than my natural wave! Is this some sort of clue what my hair needs? Is this a sign of to much protein? I think it needs plain moisture, but I'm not sure. I've been giving it plenty of that, yet it still seems very dry at the ends and fly-away.

Any comments about the weird breakage curlies?

-Hennared

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Re: Please help me diagnose my hair

I have had similar issues. Mostly I just alternate between moisture and protein treatments, as to cover all my bases.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Cool Re: Please help me diagnose my hair

Quote Originally Posted by hennared View Post
    I've been reading about the strand test for moisture vs protein needs of hair, and I'm not quite 'getting it'. I also read the article that is posted here about diagnosing hair (authored by Kirin) But I still don't quite get it! My hair does seem to stretch some, if I test a shed hair, but I'm not sure how much it is 'supposed to'. I'm also not sure what the difference is between 'bunched up' hair and 'wadded' hair.

One thing my hair does that I've not seen described, is, if I do a strand stretch test, some of my shed hairs (particularly the longer ones) when they break, the ends where the break occurred roll up in a tight curl that is far curlier than my natural wave! Is this some sort of clue what my hair needs? Is this a sign of to much protein? I think it needs plain moisture, but I'm not sure. I've been giving it plenty of that, yet it still seems very dry at the ends and fly-away.

Any comments about the weird breakage curlies?

-Hennared
    Hi,

Those curly bits you see when you break a shed hair means your hair has great elasiticity and good health, so don't worry about it. It's only when the ends break clean and straight that you have too worry.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by jera View Post
    Hi,

Those curly bits you see when you break a shed hair means your hair has great elasiticity and good health, so don't worry about it. It's only when the ends break clean and straight that you have too worry.
    Yep - the bungee look is good for hair!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jera View Post
    Hi,

Oh hooray! I was afraid that those curlies meant something awful. I see them occasionally when I look at my hair under the lamp. I figured out that was what is left after I break a hair.

Type
    2c/3a/M/i

I used to worry about those too. I was so pleased when I found out otherwise!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Hmm, where have you heared those curly ends are a good sign? I think they are over stretched hair that haven't returned back to it's shape. So it sounds to me the hair might have too little protein. Ofcourse this is only my own thinking, but I would like to see where it is said that these are a good thing. Thanks

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Hi Arctic

This is an article I had saved on my computer.

http://www.indiwo.com/india/features...ur-hair/5629/0

Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Just an afterthought - someone feel free to tell me if I've totally misunderstood that article!

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Thank you pariate!

According to this article my theory would be true. These articles have conflicting information, IMHO. Which to believe? I'm inclined to believe the article I post, it's often been circulating here and have been working for me.

Thoughts?

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.