Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: benefits of a boar bristle brush?

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: benefits of a boar bristle brush?

^^ now thats an excellent idea. I will try that thanks!
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip

Finding Best Hair Length! LadyLongLocks's Avatar
    Length
    36"/72"/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Always comb the hair before you use a BBB.It is not meant to detangle hair. If you find it makes your hair greasy, then use it before you wash it. Give yourself a good brushing, distributing the oils down the hair. If you use any type of oils in your hair as a leave in, it will attract dust and lint more. The BBB REMOVES this from your hair! Not only does it smooth my hair, it feels nice.The lint and dust can create knots! I have several BBB with stiff to medium firmness. The George Michael/Madora Brush reaches the scalp and is firm, where the others I have are more for general brushing and are softer bristles. Here is an album of my BBB if you are interested.It includes my wide tooth combs too.
    BBB and WTC ALBUM
    Details & PHOTOS of the George Michael/Madora BBB are HERE in a separate album.

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by longforthis View Post
    -Distributes oil down the hair shaft. It makes my hair look like an oil slick at first, but give it a few minutes and your hair doesn't even look oily!
    This is exactly how it works for me, so I make sure to only use by BBB just before I go to bed. By morning, the greasy look is gone.

Type
    2b/M/iii

All boar bristle brushes are not created equal. It boils down to a question of what kind of bbb you use, and HOW you use it.

Some bbbs have longer and thicker bristles that are not as easy to get through the hair. Others have shorter, thinner, more flexible bristles.

In general, the bbb is used to:

distribute the hair's natural sebum down the strands
    remove dirt/lint from the hair
    help with circulation among the follicles (when done in the bent at the waist position)

A boar bristle brush is NOT a detangler. You use a wide tooth comb to detangle your hair before touching the brush.

Daily brushing with a bbb leaves my hair healthy, shiny and soft.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufflebutt View Post
    I've seen BBB mentioned on here many times but I can't seem to really find why a BB would be used. They really aren't great for detangling and I've never had much luck with trying to distribute oils down my hair shaft with them. Does it have to do with my method of use? Does the quality of the brush make a difference?

What exactly are BBB's used for?

Length
    15/24.5/BSL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I've been reading that BBB is not for detangling, but I have to disagree to a certain extent. I have very fine hair, which likes to get tiny tangles on the very ends. I find using my baby BBB (from Bass) on the ends of my hair beforehand prevents snags with the comb afterwards. I also use it on the 3rd and 4th days after washing to distribute oils.

Length
    SL/30/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I love my BBBs. Have a couple of no names and a Conair, so nothing fancy. I BBB at night, sectioning my hair. It really helps "clean" the hair, removing dust and lint. As for the oilyness, it does look that way at first, but after a couple of hours my hair goes back to normal. Always always always use a clean BBB, they have the gunk/dust/lint from the previous brushing and you don't want that back on your hair. You can wash your BBB with warm water and diluted shampoo.