Thread: Master Updo / Bun Style List?

Length
    Chin/Class/? :)
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Master Updo / Bun Style List?

Does such a thing exist? I get in such a rut with my hair, making the same bun day in and day out. I'd love to be able to look at a list (or a photo gallery!) of buns and updos and work on learning new ones. I don't mind youtube links to learn new buns, but I don't have time to watch a bunch over and over to find out if it's even a style I want to try. Am I missing an amazing list of styles somewhere?
    1a F ii, BCL. Aiming for classic in 2013, final goal is terminal length.

Length
    BSL/clas/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Master Updo / Bun Style List?

The UTube tutorials are amazing. For the most part they are quick and easy to follow. I learned 2 new buns today in under 5 minutes. Google Pha bun, Gibraltar or Nautilus and more boxes at the side will pop up for you to check out as well. I just do the bun along with the video and then check in the mirror. This, and making up them up on my own, is how I continue to add to my repertoire.

I belong to the wear your hair up thread and there are lots of buns people are doing. There are good ideas there for what to look up on line. The Hairstyle of the month thread has lots of pics of a particular bun, too.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Length
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    THIS is what I'm looking for! Pictures for each style would make it better, but at least it's a place to start. Thank you for posting these!

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Once the articles section is up again it has been very helpful to me as well.

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I'd make sure to check out the hairstyle of the month subforum too. A lot of really classic updos are covered in detail there, with pictures on a wide range of hair types, links to articles and video tutorials and a lot of other information to help you figure out if something is worth trying.

I also keep a little list of beginner friendly, good on a wide range of hair types updos. While I doubt you're an updo beginner you still might find fun or helpful stuff in it. It's also meant to address the common complaints that "all buns look alike" and "putting my hair up makes me look bald!". La Dolly Vita's Little Black Dress video shows a bunch of handy tricks for taking an updo from plain to fancy with very little extra work, and because it's a sectioned style, it works for both thin and thick hair. The sectioning also makes it very flexible for someone with short hair like in the video, or long hair like mine and yours. It's also very amenable to bun substitution. Then Gertie's Heidi Braids, Casey's Romantic Braided updo and Loepsie's 4 spring styles videos provide a bunch of fun things to do with twin braids. I know I'm not the only one who thinks twin braids can look a bit childish, but they're really easy to do and sturdy... so if I want to look like I'm not 6, these videos are very practical.

Length
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Thanks, torrilin, I think I will start keeping a list, so at least I don't forget styles. I hate that I'm still stuck in a rut!

Length
    bsl/elbow/n/a
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Elanadi View Post
    Thanks, torrilin, I think I will start keeping a list, so at least I don't forget styles. I hate that I'm still stuck in a rut!
    Honestly, I kind of live in rut-ville for updos. Celtic knot bun, twin braid variations, cinnabun variants (mostly Gibraltar or flipped cinnabuns) and single braid. I can do lots of other stuff, but 9 times out of 10 I don't bother. My style wardrobe is full of stuff I can do in my sleep and that I can actually sleep in, and that's what I want.

My original rut was ponytail, cinnabun and single English braid. That's plenty good enough as a rut for growing even really fine hair out .