Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural ways to get rid of lice

Length
    16.5/TLB/50
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Exclamation Natural ways to get rid of lice

Help me please!
    I have lice and I have used the pesticide shampoo to kill all of the live ones but I am having a hard time with the nits I am at my wits end and I cannot deal with having BUGS in my precious hair i've worked so hard on(I know you guys on here can relate). I fear that these pesticides are doing a number on my ends and I can't bear to do it again. I have a lice comb to comb out the nits, but my hair is too long to drag the lice comb all the way through. My ends are just stretching as I pull the lice comb though. My parents don't understand what the big deal is with me and my hair. They want me to just do whatever it takes to get them out but I need suggestions that are more natural or gentler. I have tried coconut oil sitting in my hair to try and smother the lice and make the nits come loose. I have diluted apple cider vinegar(about 50/50 with water) and sprayed it on my hair and left it in for about 7 minutes and then rinsed it out.The nits are just being stubborn! My mom thinks using a hair dryer will loosen the nits and I don't think it will do anything but abuse my hair further because I don't have live ones, just the nits. My hair is currently slightly past tailbone and the ends are in good shape(or they were before all this..... ) I just need a natural way to loosen the nits or a better way to comb them out, I mean do I really have to drag the comb all the way through my hair? Anything would be appreciated!

Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Natural ways to get rid of lice

When my kids have lice, I put a LOT of conditioner on and comb with a lice comb every 3 days. That removes the lice, but not the nits. But when they hatch, they come out in an ordinary lice combing.

To prevent and maybe even get them out, you can use lavender and/or tea tree oil. Lice doesn't like the smell
    Dixi! - Rikke
    Growing and graying ... just growing and graying

Length
    16.5/TLB/50
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by W2 View Post
    When my kids have lice, I put a LOT of conditioner on and comb with a lice comb every 3 days. That removes the lice, but not the nits. But when they hatch, they come out in an ordinary lice combing.

To prevent and maybe even get them out, you can use lavender and/or tea tree oil. Lice doesn't like the smell
    thank you! what kind of comb do you use?

Length
    19"/19"/long!
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Put conditoner in thickly and let it sit on your hair for an entire day or more - it will loosen any eggs and smother the lice that are left. After this, rinse your hair thoroughly with cool water - then apply conditioner to your hair (it will protect your hair) and comb cm sections (you can take thinner sections if your hair is thick) across the back of your head starting at the nape of your neck with your lice comb, dipping the comb as you start a new section in freshly boiled water that you have ready in a bowl, so you don`t put the lice/nits back into your hair. You should see the little suckers floating in that bowl of water. Once you have gotten right through your hair, rinse your hair with neat white vinegar (it won`t hurt your hair I promise) and leave it on for a minute or two and rinse again with cool water to help seal the cuticles. White vinegar is a very good treatment for lice. Shampoo and condition as normal. Plus using your hairdryer on the cold setting when drying your hair won`t harm your hair as long as you aren`t creating tangles while you dry. Make sure you wash all your bed linen to get rid of that lice too - especially the pillowcase, vacuum the floor etc. I successfully removed the lice from a lady with tailbone-length hair using this method. You should probably get someone to assist you in doing this to get them out effectively.

Length
    23.75/24/30
    Type
    2a/F/i

I've never had to deal with this, but I hear this treatment works REALLY well:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2123367_trea...-cetaphil.html

Henna gone, at APL now!
    You often meet your destiny on the road you've taken to avoid it

Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cocoahair View Post
    thank you! what kind of comb do you use?
    They are called Bug Busters

They come with 3 different combs. First you brush it, then comb it with a wide tooth comb. Then you use the lice comb and then the nit comb.
    Repeat every 3 days.
    Works on my daughter with VERY thick hair. Just use tons of conditioners.
    Last edited by W2; January 31st, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Dixi! - Rikke
    Growing and graying ... just growing and graying

Length
    BSL/TBL/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Neem seed oil. Do an oil treatment for a couple hours, then wash very well, add half a dozen drops to shampoo bottle for regular use, will keep them away. Warning...when you smell this stuff, you'll understand why lice don't like it. Pretty rank. Takes the 'woodsy' scent to a whole new level lol. But it works.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Lice are supposed to hate rosemary as well:

http://www.ehow.com/way_6171870_rose...treatment.html

Everything is chemicals! Bagginslover's Avatar
    Length
    26.5/35.5/50
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Tea Tree kills lice, and the unhatched ones too. It penetrates the eggs Then you can take your time removing them as no new ones will hatch

BSL-Waist-Hip-BCL-TBL-Classic
    Layers cut back in, oops!!!!

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Mmm, I have heard people washing their hair with vinegar or vinegar/water combinations, then saturating the hair with a mix of olive oil, tea tree and/or neem oil.
    They wrapped the hair in a plastic food wrap, then waited the lice life span to end, (the newborn insect should die on spot with that mixture on: EVOO suffucates them, Tea tree and neems are like natural pesticides).
    I don't know if it's safe for children, and I never had to try it myself.

If I would happen to find lice in my hair (please please no), I would probably henna my hair very thickly, adding some neem powder to my usual lawsonia. I could use diluited ACV and tea tree and olive oil to make the paste, too. I would keep it all night and wash it out in the morning. I frankly can't think lice would survive that.
    This said, I use henna to colour my hair, that is said to be harmful to lice by itself. But I guess I could use shikakai and amla with the neem and having the same effect.
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...