Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serious Moisture Recipes for hair that hates SMT?

grumpy moon princess millyaulait's Avatar
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Unhappy Serious Moisture Recipes for hair that hates SMT?

The ends of my hair are reaaaaaaaaaally dry! I've clarified, and I CO-wash, use coconut oil, etc.

My hair detests SMTs, it becomes frizzy and lank and horrid, no matter what conditioner I use.

I've tried just using condish + honey, and condish + aloe but no to avail.

I'm wondering what other things I can slather on my head to help my ends feel better?

It's at the point where I'm in need of SERIOUS moisture, my deep/overnight conditioner just isn't cutting it anymore. Like, not even a little bit.

It's actually a little unnerving just how the bottom quarter of my hair looks, my ends look like a broom and this is really not characteristic of my hair at all.

So, I'd love to know of anything super-duper moisturizing, I'll try anything!

(Even if that means using something from a salon, but I wanted to try more natural first )
    Last edited by millyaulait; March 30th, 2013 at 04:06 PM.

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Default Re: Serious Moisture Recipes for hair that hates SMT?

First off, maybe your hair hates humectants and they are making the situation worse. I would stop with the honey and aloe vera gel immediately. I would also avoid glycerin. Are you using 'natural' hair care products? Those dry my hair out terribly, and my friends who use them regularly often have dry looking hair. You might also want to try a different oil than coconut oil. I can use it very occasionally, but if I use it regularly it does bad things. My hair prefers argan or camellia, but there are so many others to try. The best way I have to keep my hair from drying out is to CO with Suave every other day. My ends start to feel very dry if I go longer than that. That works better for me than anything else, including oils. The only other suggestion I have is a catnip tea rinse, although I use that more for split end abatement. However, some people apparently find it moisturizing. GL!
    Change is the only constant.

grumpy moon princess millyaulait's Avatar
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Thanks, ravenreed! I tried the honey/aloe only once as a test. I'm not using anything natural, I use a cheap conditioner and biolage as a second conditioner.

I've tried EVOO, Coconut & Mineral Oil so far so I will take a look at trying out some other oils.

I was thinking about protein.... Is there a definitive test to tell whether or not your hair needs protein?

I'm trying to think of all the things that could be wrong. :\

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    26"/31"/tb cl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

i dont know about the protein but weird enough, i have a keratin mask with keratin, silk proteina and wheat protein, hydrolized and it makes my dry coarse hair softer and silkier than usual with other products.
    i am a cowasher and dont use cones these days.
    my tips are damaged and my hair generally loves protein but needs a lot of moisture when i use protein. so i dont quite understand why it behaves differently with this mask.
    i my experience, coconut oil works only if the hair has enough protein, otherwise it doesnt soften my hair at all
    is it growing???

Length
    26"/31"/tb cl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

oh and you can test your wet hair what it needs, if you pull one of the shed hairs after washing softly and it is not flexible but breaks easily then it needs moisture but if it is mushy and stretches a lots and doesnt bounce back well then it is in need of structure and that is protein
    is it growing???

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Hmm. I think for most people finding out if their hair likes protein is trial and error. If you use a product that has protein and your hair feels better, then you know you need some. If it feels worse, then you know your hair hates it. Does your current conditioner have protein? What was the last routine you were doing before your hair got so dry?

Quote Originally Posted by millyaulait View Post
    Thanks, ravenreed! I tried the honey/aloe only once as a test. I'm not using anything natural, I use a cheap conditioner and biolage as a second conditioner.

I've tried EVOO, Coconut & Mineral Oil so far so I will take a look at trying out some other oils.

I was thinking about protein.... Is there a definitive test to tell whether or not your hair needs protein?

I'm trying to think of all the things that could be wrong. :\
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Have you tried eating organic coconut oil and then combing, brushing or preening?

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I've stopped using conditioner about 2 months ago because I found my hair felt better without it. Conditioner makes my hair frizzy and I would have to use a ton of product to control the frizz which meant washing it more often. Spirals recently shared her experiments with marshmallow root in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=110611

I've been using marshmallow (and want to try hibiscus) and adding a few drops of oil after application has given me hair that feels really moisturized without being weighed down.

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I mist my ends, then use a few drops of mineral oil, and or Nightblooming's Panacea, which is Shea butter based.

Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I've had really great luck with Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque as a deep treatment.
    buzz - pixie - chin - shoulder - APL -BSL - MBL - waist - hip - tailbone - classic