Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever thought of cutting your long hair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ever thought of cutting your long hair?

I've read some posts of people being devastated seeing others cut their waist length hair and longer to armpit length... but have you ever gotten tired of getting your hair stuck in doors, chairs, and other people? My friends tell me that my long hair is starting to affect my personality and that I need to cut it. I like having long hair (It's currently between hip and tail bone length) but I'm not sure if I should try something else. I've forgotten what shorter than midback to elbow length hair felt like (been growing it for the past 6 years) and it's fairly healthy at the bottom (not really any see through ends, it's all one length mostly). One of my friends keeps telling me that I can't do anything styling wise and that my long hair is boring, so I should cut and style it. Sometimes I get very motivated to cut it, sometimes not so much.

So, when do ya'll decide to cut your long hair shorter?

Length
    APL+/BCL/MidTh
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Ever thought of cutting your long hair?

I hate the idea of cutting my hair so if it was becoming a problem as far as getting stuck in things (it already is, just at waist) I would make more of an effort to wear it up rather than cut it.
    How do they think it is affecting your personality? If it is becoming too big a part of your daily life where you have little time to do something else, it may be an issue, however before cutting consider that it is not the hair's fault. Sometimes, I find, we become indulged in something deeply because there is something else in our life that is stressing us out. If you find that you are having an unhealthy 'obbsession,' it may be time to reanalyze what is going on and if it is really the hair.
    However it may be a thing where you just take your life on LHC out into the real world. We might not be OBSESSED but if all the conversations here we had with everyone out there, we may be seen as that way.
    Moral of the story: Don't cut unless YOU want to, or YOU think its boring, or YOU think it is affecting your personaility negatively, or YOU don't like styling it. As far as that there are hundreds of youtube videos dedicated to styling long hair. It may just be a rut. Do the two or three week rule (I can't remember which) and if YOU feel like cutting it then go for it. But make sure it's YOUR decision.

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

I have had longish hair (not by LHC standards) twice before and cut it really short. Both times, I just got bored with my long hair, and once I had perm damage that I was happy to get rid of anyway. Neither time did I regret it. However, now I have so many more things to do with it that I don't really get bored with it. Frustrated, yes, bored, no. My rule of thumb in life is- When in doubt, do nothing. When and if you are ready to cut your hair, you will know! Maybe instead of cutting it, spend some time working on updos or styles you can pull off. That will get your friends off your back at least.
    Change is the only constant.

Length
    2/29/30
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ravenreed View Post
    My rule of thumb in life is- When in doubt, do nothing. When and if you are ready to cut your hair, you will know!
    I couldn't agree more! Seriously, never ever listen to other people when it comes to YOUR hair. Nevermind if they think your hair is boring, your hair is not there to amuse or entertain them, it's there because you like it and it makes you happy.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
    Try again. Fail again. Fail better. (S. Beckett)

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I don't understand how your long hair could be affecting your personality. That doesn't make sense at all to me unless you are talking about your hair all the time or doing a lot of hair grooming when you are around them. If that is the case, stop talking about your hair. I doubt they are interested. If someone asks you a question about your hair or long hair in general, then answer the question and only the question. Don't go on and on about long hair. Most of us were taught that grooming anywhere than at home or in a bathroom is bad manners. If you are not soliciting hair advice from these people, I can't imagine why they are making comments like this. Let them know your hair is not a topic for discussion and then change the subject. I have only one friend who likes to talk hair with me, so I know to STFU around everyone else.

I am not here to decorate your world

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I don't understand how your long hair could be affecting your personality. That doesn't make sense at all to me unless you are talking about your hair all the time or doing a lot of hair grooming when you are around them. If that is the case, stop talking about your hair. I doubt they are interested. If someone asks you a question about your hair or long hair in general, then answer the question and only the question. Don't go on and on about long hair. Most of us were taught that grooming anywhere than at home or in a bathroom is bad manners. If you are not soliciting hair advice from these people, I can't imagine why they are making comments like this. Let them know your hair is not a topic for discussion and then change the subject. I have only one friend who likes to talk hair with me, so I know to STFU around everyone else.
    I pretty much never talk about hair and I am pretty lazy with it comes to doing things with it. The only time I ever talk about it is if I'm debating whether or not to get bangs again, which is maybe a few times a year... I rarely brush my hair either (I don't know how I managed to get past the knots and matting). One friend says that I am hiding behind it too much--which I can understand a little, since generally I am a shy person.

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Every once in a while I think about cutting back to around BSL, and I did recently trim back about 3" because I found that past-hip just wasn't doing it for me, but if I ever contemplate going shorter I just remind myself that on me, shorter is more work. My hair just gets too wild, and I'd end up having it in a ponytail all the time anyway--so what's the difference between SL hair in a ponytail, and waist/hip hair in a bun? At least with the bun I can wear fun hairsticks.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

I have not felt like cutting my hair. I've trimmed it back to thicker ends (waist) but no shorter. I've never wanted shorted hair than that. As for hiding behind hair, it's a standard BS statement that goes around when it comes to long hair. It's a "conform to the standard now." thing. It's kind of hard to hide behind a bun. I prefer all my hair up and away from the face, shorter hair hides more.

Your friend needs to keep her opinions to herself a touch more.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I cut from knee to a bob once, I felt like it and wanted to cut off all dyed hair as well. I had no regrets, I loved it short! It is mid calf now, but someday I might feel like getting it bobbed again!
    What you find irresistable is what you choose not to resist.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I would just ignore these people and refuse to engage in any type of hair conversation. There are some who get uncomfortable when those around them don't conform to their standards. It's their problem, not yours. The "hiding behind" long hair idea is total BS. It's just another maneuver to make you feel guilty about not conforming.

I am not here to decorate your world