Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever thought of cutting your long hair?

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Ever thought of cutting your long hair?

I agree with Carolyn (and others): your hair, your business. Do what YOU want, not what somebody else wants.

And yes - I do think about cutting mine, but not to a short style. I want to get a layered but still long style, but I keep worrying that I would regret it. I probably would. I know that layers makes it more difficult to do some of the braided styles that I like.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I've been thinking about it a lot, but there's nothing like other people telling me what to do with my hair to make me NOT want to do it.

Length
    less/long/more
    Type
    2a/C/iii

No, never.

If you are thinking about cutting though, it's important that it is what you want and not what others think you should want.
    "All of life is a foreign country" (Jack Kerouac, 1949).
    "I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." (Albert Einstein)

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Sure, I've cut waist length hair back to a bob (or shorter) a few times in my life. The times I cut it because I wanted a particular style I loved it and never regretted the change in length. The time I cut it because I thought it would be easier to take care of I was disappointed to find it was actually harder and I couldn't wait till it was long enough to braid again. I was also frustrated with how limited I was in styling options with short hair.

Perhaps your friend isn't familiar with the range of styling available with long hair. You of course need change nothing to appease her, but if you feel in a rut, there are lots of different styles to be inspired by around here.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    30in/34in/35in
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I not only have though of cutting my long hair but I've done it a couple of times. I cut it from waist-length to a 2 inch layered cut when I was 14 kept it short for a few years, grew it waist length again, cut it to shoulder length in my early twenties, grew it to tailbone length cut it to bra-strap length. I've also straightened it, permanent waved it and colored it every color from ash blonde to blue-black and hennaed it.Worn it blunt cut, layered, had bangs etc. The point is that I really enjoyed experimenting with my looks when I was younger and nothing is easier than doing it with your hair. That being said, I would have used wigs for most of my transformations if I wasn't prone to head-aches.
    So for me the most accurate question would be, with all the options I've had, why did I always come back to long hair? Because it's the most beautiful and practical option. I don't wear it down all that often in public -maybe a couple of times a month-but I love the elegant chignons I can easily make with it even if I only usually put it up in a simple ponytail with some nice holder as an accessory. I love that I always look pulled together no matter how ghastly the weather or how high the humidity unlike when I have shorter hair and have to style it to death with a ton of products to look half-way decent. I'm also a fan of hats and long hair frees me to wear them without getting 'hat head'. (A definite plus if you also live in a country where winter hats are a necessity like Canada.)
    After trying it all, I'm never going to want it shorter than waist-length again, it's just not worth the hassle to have shorter hair than this.The only times I have been, or have known another woman to be, hair obsessed was when we have shorter hair because of all the styling and flat-ironing and salon attending and product hunting that goes with that so unless you're pretty unusual I don't see how you could possibly be discussing your hair more than women with shorter hair do. I'll bet that 9 times out of 10 if the topic of your hair comes up, it's someone else who says something about it and you're only answering them.
    Another thing I've noticed and that the only time I've had people suggest I cut my hair was when I was getting compliments about it. Every.Single.Time. Out of the blue a friend or colleague would ask me why I didn't cut my hair or how I could stand it being so long and, sure enough, even if I only found out about it much later, it would be because someone, usually a man, had been commenting very favorably on it in some way.
    That's why I agree with those who are saying that you should only cut your hair if YOU want to do it and not in response to someone else's opinion about it.
    Btw, if I were you, I wouldn't cut bangs without at least giving fake bangs a try. Even if your hair is such a rare color or texture that you have to buy human hair ones or get them custom-made before a stylist trims them to suit your face, it will be time and money well spent. If you love them enough to cut real ones you'll have seen which style you like best and if you decide you hate them you'll have saved yourself years of growing them out. This is a lesson I learned the hard way so the last time the bang urge came over me, I got fake bangs instead and didn't regret it for a minute.

Length
    18/37/???
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I cut from BSL to chin when I was 20 and can still clearly remember thinking "Never again!" Right now, it's actually my goal to have hair of a socially-unacceptable length, so I look forward to negative comments. I do occasionally covet cute short styles, but I'll arrange my hair into a faux bob or get a wig long before I cut. I'm finding the longer it gets, the less I want to cut: tonight I really stressed about taking off half an inch.

However, there is a part of me that will regret never having shaved my head.

Collarbone --> Hip --> ??

Length
    17/24/32
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Your friends sound very scissor happy , I would not go near a hairdressing salon until you are absolutely sure of what you want, because we all know what the subject of your next thread is going to be if you walk in undecided
    Last edited by Allychan; January 30th, 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by purplehippo View Post
    My friends tell me that my long hair is starting to affect my personality and that I need to cut it
    One of my friends keeps telling me that I can't do anything styling wise and that my long hair is boring, so I should cut and style it.
    How rude are you friends??

That would to me equal if friends said:
    "You are getting too fat, you should lose weight"
    "I don't like your look. Perhaps you could make a facial or a total makeover?"

You, and only you, know if your hair is hard to style or if you feel it's boring. Don't listen to "friends" that sound rather jealous if you ask me.

On a personal note:
    When it comes to female coworkers, they just looove it when I cut my hair shorter.
    Male coworkers looove it when it's long.
    I myself looove it when it's long.

I sometimes wonder if some female coworkers see me as a threat when I have long hair.
    I wish more females could support each other instead of criticise so much.
    Lady Sjöfn of the Healing Heart, Warden of Silver and Gold, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Ive seriously considered it once. When i was a bit past waist and my health went in the dumps i thought about cutting to about shoulder for convieniance since i hate dhow tangled it got and i was physically incapable of detangling or washing it myself. I havent had hair that short since i was five and it made me currious. When i thought about the long run though i knew it would be more inconvienient to me. Hair that short with my thickness and texture looks lazy and sloppy if not styled which would defeat the purpose of trying to regrow it since my hair cant take heat styling and product.

As for hair changing your personality so do long nails and people grow them or get acrylics all the time. People seem to thinks it appropriate to make commentary on hair though. If you have long nails you change how you open things, type, ect with long hair you pay attention to seat belts, doors, ect... With short hair you can get obsessed with what tool or product your going to use. How we look and maintiain how we look alter our behavior if your outside the norm people will hassle you.

As cliche as it is it comes down to whats best for you. How do you want to look, how much maitenance do you want to put in, and what will the consequances be long term. For me the hassle of styling and dyeing werent worth the novelty and temporary convieniance when i knew it would take me 8 - 10 years to grow it all out and health to be where i wanted to be.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    16.5/30/36
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Don't cut it unless it's what you want, not your "friends". They sound jealous and it seems to me like they just want to make themselves feel better at your expense. Dont' talk to them on hair related issues, but if they start nagging you again, tell them something about them that doesn't fit your standards and that they need to change it "because it's affecting their personality"

And long hair is actually much easier to style than short hair. You braid it or bun it in different styles, or even wearing it down looks beautiful and can be considered a style itself, while short hair might need heat-styling to look actually styled.