Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ancient Roman Vestal Virgin hairstyle re-created for very first time

Length
    ~15"/47"/Term?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Ancient Roman Vestal Virgin hairstyle re-created for very first time

Quote Originally Posted by freznow View Post
    The article links to another, longer article here.

Apparently they found it interesting because:
    However, Vestals were chosen for the priesthood between the ages of 6 and 10, before their full adult hair lengths would be known. Thyroid problems and many other hair-loss conditions don't show up until after puberty, Stephens said.
    Which is weird because they are saying it is unusual for women to have waist-length hair. And, unless they saying thyroid problems were very common back then, it sounds to me like they think most women can't get waist length hair even if they tried. O.o
    Goiter was common in some places, but not all. Depends on the access to food items form the sea. Science! It wouldn't surprise me overmuch to see goiter among the plebeians, but I would guess that the patricians had enough dietary variety to stave off any major occurrence. The vestals were very well taken care of; if they had hair loss issues, I don't think nutrition would be a major culprit. I can't think of a reason that the incidence of hormonal trouble would be higher then than now...

Stephens has made some rather weird comments here and there in various interviews. For example, "Frankly, I prefer hair that's little abused, longer than it should be and doesn't possess a strong cut." I think she knows a lot about the manipulation of hair, but not a lot about what happens if you let hair do its own thing for a decade or two. I haven't met many who have a true terminal above waist.
    Last edited by Renbirde; July 26th, 2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: ETA broken quote
    CLASSIC!