Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on essential oils

Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Default Opinions on essential oils

Hello,

I've been dabbling into essential oils, and after TONS of reading and research I've found some great uses and want to start putting my plan into action. Since I want to use them to improve my health and/or replace conventional chemicals - I want to purchase high quality EOs. This is where I'm kind of stumped.

From this board, I've discovered some great brands, namely: Chagrin Valley and Mountain Rose Herbs. Both impressive, wholesome companies. And bonus - Mt Rose Herbs is fairly local to me. I've got my wish list at Mt Rose Herbs all ready to go, in fact several wish lists are saved. I'm just waiting for payday to purchase.

And then I hit a brick wall.

I got to talking with a co-worker about natural beauty products, and as it turns out she sells doTerra essential oils. So I went to a little get together and heard the shpiel, read every scrap of literature I could get my hands on. And I've been trying for a month to figure out if their prices are worth it. They are EXPENSIVE! I've searched the internet, blogs, reviews etc. etc. and, though I am usually good at researching products, I can't seem to wade through all the marketing hype. It's REALLY hard to tell if people are so thrilled with the oils because they are making a profit selling them, or if they're really just that great.

From everything I've read, Mt Rose Herbs is great. Except when bloggers are comparing them to doTerra, then MRH is bashed, which I chalk up to marketing hype and what seems to be doTerra's strategy.

I started using rosemary and lavender to help combat excessive shedding and (hopefully) regrow my hair. Obviously I want to put good quality products on my head, also on my skin etc. I would love to get as many opinions as possible on how folks feel about these two brands. Please no pushy sales people though - my co-worker is already stopping by my desk several times a week to talk about doTerra.

Currently, my plan is to continue with my MRH order on payday, and request MSDS sheets as well as the gas chromatography analysis and specifications for each item I order. I then plan on comparing it to doTerra, IF the consultants can provide that info.

Thank you so much!

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Opinions on essential oils

DoTerra is wildly overpriced and nothing special. Go with MRH.
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Thank you. I appreciate having others confirm what I was thinking.

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I use essential oils ALOT. I have had great results with Aura Cacia, NOW Brand and Nature's Alchemy essential oils. You can find them on Amazon for WAY cheaper than MRH and some of those other essential oils sites. To me, MRH's prices were ridiculous! Just my opinion...
    There are some really cheap brands that don't smell as good because they use different parts of the plants and it affects the quality of the scent. It's personal preference at that point and how much you are willing to spend.
    The Wild Beast From The Land of Hair That Cannot Be Tamed
    Pixie - Chin- Shoulder - APL - BSL - Waist - TBL

Length
    23"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

I use and study essential oils, and I absolutely love Eden's Garden oils. You can find them on Amazon or order them directly from the company. Personally, I think they are very much worth the price.
    2a/b - m/c - ii/iii

23 - 24 - 25 - 26 - 27 - 28 - 29 - Waist!

On the hunt for terminal. SerinaDaith's Avatar
    Colorado is my physical home but I spend a lot of time in my mind. It's safer that way.
    Length
    .5 in/.5 in/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

If you feel that doTerra is using slander in there campaign can you really support them with your money? Just a thought. Other then that I really don't have much of an opinion as far as oils and companies go since I just haven't done enough research yet.
    Lady Seredhiel in the Order of the Longhaired Knights. Current body mark: BSL+, Goal length, terminal.No trims in 2013. Henna head. Crazy craft guru.Crunchy Mommy.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    pixie/26/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Mountain Rose all the way, been purchasing from them for way over a decade, they are QUALITY! keep in mind that some EO's are more expensive than others, Rose or Jasmine for example, if a company is selling them for cheap you can be certain they're adulterated in some way, or diluted to the point of no longer being effective.

Length
    15/28/waist
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

DoTerra seems to be a multi-level marketing company, aka a pyramid scheme. In my experience, products from these kinds of companies are always overpriced, and the glowing reviews are probably mostly fake.

Companies that provide gcms analyses are probably reputable, although really there is nothing to stop a nonreputable company from doctoring them up or faking them.
    "The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason" Benjamin Franklin

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

My vote is for Mountain Rose Herbs. I've been using their products for many years. Sometimes I stray and go for cheaper, but when I want the best quality, I go to back to Mountain Rose Herbs.

Type
    1b/1c/F/i

Thanks to everyone. I like hearing others confirm what I was thinking. Especially when there is nothing in it for you all, that makes the opinions more clear.

I wasn't positive that doTerra was slandering, that was just my observation. And it was usually in the form of blogs - that seemed fakey - but I had a hard time determining if that was an individual's honest opinion (I'm thinking not). I like to research new companies because I do believe my $$ does the "voting" for me, and I prefer to support good companies. And on some level, I don't mind shelling out a bit more because I do believe I often get what I pay for.

I had never heard of Eden's Garden, I will check them out. Thank you for the referral! I honestly think MRH prices were very fair, but I am new to essential oils in general.

Thanks all! I can't wait to submit my MRH order. YAY!