Page 3 of 62 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Silver & Gold View Post

So where are our scientific longhairs? Come on, I know you're out there!
    In the meantime I shall carry out important top-secret highly scientific experiments on the effects of chocolate consumption on hair growth...

Length
    16.5/30/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Anyone use poppy seed oil?
    My Goal Color! (My best friend's hair!)

Quote Originally Posted by pariate View Post
    In the meantime I shall carry out important top-secret highly scientific experiments on the effects of chocolate consumption on hair growth...
    Too late. I've been all over this research for years. I've learned that chocolate is good for whatever ails you. If your hair isn't growing as fast as you wish, eat more chocolate. It won't make your hair grow any faster but after enough chocolate, you simply don't care anymore.

Length
    2"/4-5"/shldr
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

*snicker* at the chocolate......my best friend is pregnant right now.....and believe me......after she takes my head off for something minor.......chocolate does wonders.

The lauric acid prescence is probably a factor in the absorbability of the coconut oil. I'd be willing to bet there are relatives to lauric acid or similar compounds in the other oils that absorb well into hair that might be factoring in - but it wouldn't be the only factor. Molecule size, fatty acid chain size, the hair folicle itself, and conditions (of the hair folicle, temperature, etc....) would factor in.

Its a multifacted experiment.

But, it might prove to be lucrative given the current environment - people are starting to move further and further away from petrochemicals, and back to basics - and this is one area where oils and biochemistry could very well boom. So keep up the research.
    Ultimate goal=Healthy Hair, easy care.

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Silver & Gold View Post

Concerning the ability of any particular oil to penetrate the hair shaft, I'm still not certain if all saturated fats penetrate the hair fiber or if there is other criteria involved. For instance, coconut oil might penetrate the hair shaft because it is high in Lauric Acid. Butter is also high in saturated fat but I have no information that butter penetrates the hair shaft. Do you understand what I'm saying? I'm just not sure I understand what gives an oil the qualities it needs to get inside the hair fiber.

I think we need someone with a microscope, lots of hair and various oils. Once we determine how/why some oils penetrate and others do not I might have to re-categorize my list of oils. But until I know more, this is the best information I have at the moment.

So where are our scientific longhairs? Come on, I know you're out there!
    I have access to a microscope, lot's of different oils and my own hair. There are stains that may work to make this simpler (detect the fats of the oil) ...but my hair is dark and stains wouldn't show up. Anything else gets much more complex that just looking in the microscope.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mira-chan View Post
    I have access to a microscope, lot's of different oils and my own hair. There are stains that may work to make this simpler (detect the fats of the oil) ...but my hair is dark and stains wouldn't show up. Anything else gets much more complex that just looking in the microscope.
    Mohair has been used in some henna experiments. Supposedly it's similar to human hair.

But I, too, don't think it'll be as simple as looking in a microscope. And what with "everyone's hair is different" as the standard advice given out here, I'm not exactly sure how useful the information would be.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

This is very interesting to me, because it feels like grapeseed oil is penetrating my hair at least if not more than coconut does for my hair. i guess i will give some of the other penetrators another look.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

What about emu oil and shea butter? Does anyone know where they fall in the categories?
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    pixie/pixie/44
    Type
    1a/F/iii

This made me curious so I started looking. has anyone read:

Mapping penetration of cosmetic compounds into hair fibers using time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry (TOF-SIMS)
    Authors: Hornby, S. B.1; Appa, Y.1; Ruetsch, S.2; Kamath, Y.2
    Source: International Journal of Cosmetic Science, Volume 27, Number 5, October 2005 , pp. 299-299(1)
    Publisher: Blackwell Publishing

It is a pay for article and i am too cheap to pay, i will have to see if the University will get it.

ETA if my understanding is correct, based on the abstract, then the following oils could be considered penatrative because the have at least a certain percentage monunsaturated fat. grapeseed oil, ground nut oil, peanut oil, flaxseed oil, sesame oil, & corn oil, though they are not completely monunsaturated.
    Last edited by burns_erin; August 26th, 2008 at 03:54 PM.

Length
    2"/24"/80"
    Type
    1b/M/i/ii

Hey, I want to start using oils on my hair. So far I rarely use oils/deep treatments on my hair, however now it is growing longer, I feel I really need to start asap. I really don't know what type oil I should buy online. Or would simple olive oil from my kitchen cupboard be equally effective for restoring moisture? Are there any instructions for applying olive oil in to hair (presuming olive oil is good for hair)?