Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hair Oils Thread

Default Re: The Hair Oils Thread

I chime in great thread went unnoticed.

I crave some hemp oil, I know it is wonderful for sensitive irritated scalps and skin in general. Maybe at the end of May... But I suppose it doesn't penetrate?

I like avocado and rice germ Also sesam, I think it's good for stimulating the scalp. Too bad that I run out of everything now.

Light oiling of the length is still a desaster for me even with super light oils like babassu. It always looks stringy. I bet I use too much

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Horne View Post
    (...)

Light oiling of the length is still a desaster for me even with super light oils like babassu. It always looks stringy. I bet I use too much
    I watched heidi w's video about how she uses coco oil and I realized I'd been using way too much (for a light oiling) that's why it was always stringy. (Interesting that even if I go overboard with castor it doesn't make my hair look stringy and that's a much thicker oil, LOL)

Length
    pixie/MBL/hip
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by PolarCathy View Post
    I watched heidi w's video about how she uses coco oil and I realized I'd been using way too much (for a light oiling) that's why it was always stringy. (Interesting that even if I go overboard with castor it doesn't make my hair look stringy and that's a much thicker oil, LOL)
    Interesting! I couldn't find the video, do you mind posting a link to it? Thanks

ETA: Never mind, just found it. Guess I wasn't quite awake, yet

earthnut, great post!!
    Last edited by piratejenny; April 23rd, 2012 at 01:28 AM.
    less is more
    1c / M / ii

So I've just watched the video too. Yes, I use way waaaay too much oil. I knew it! But how much should I use then on my fine short hair?!? I find it very difficult to "dose" oils like babassu or coconut that aren't in their liquid state. But anyhow... A drop? hmmmm

Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by earthnut View Post
    I'm attempting to ditch the shampoo and conditioner and use mainly oils instead.

I've gone through the entire thread and learned a lot! With some additional research, here's an extensive list that I hope will be helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...jY5ZlZyUzVURXc

Saturation is directly related to the penetration ability of oils, though it also depends on your type of hair and other hair products you use. Oils will be more penetrating for squeaky-clean, curly hair than for silicone-covered straight hair. Even though the hair penetration ability has not necessarily been tested for all of these, this should get you in the ballpark of how well your oils might penetrate.
    * Saturated oils are able to penetrate the hair because they are simple, straight, rod-shaped molecules. The shorter the molecule, the better it can penetrate the hair. Coconut oil, palm kernel oil, and babassu oil are the most penetrating of all the oils.
    * Monounsaturated fats are like saturated fats except they have one kink in the rod, so it's a little harder for the molecules to get inside the hair. The most common monounsaturated fat is oleic fatty acid, found in very high amounts in olive and almond oil.
    * Polyunsaturated fats have many kinks in the rod, making it difficult for them to penetrate hair. These "drying" oils form a moisture barrier on the outside of the hair follicle, acting much like silicones. Pomegranate seed oil, flax seed oil, safflower oil, and sunflower oil are some of the most drying oils. BTW, "drying" does not mean that the oil will dry out your hair. It means the as the oil dries, it chemically changes to form a protective coating on your hair.
    * Waxes are very long, large molecules, making it hard for them to penetrate the hair. Sebum, jojoba oil, and lanolin have a waxy component.
    * Mineral oil, being made of hydrocarbons, has no affinity to protein and does not penetrate the hair shaft at all.

Also, I think that it would be very helpful, especially for newbies, to outline some methods for applying oils to the hair. This was the most intimidating part for me as a person new to oiling the hair: I had no idea how much to use or how to apply it, and my first attempts were terrible.

My method for moist or dry hair: I part my BSL hair in two, pulling the hair over each shoulder. Dipping a fingertip in the oil so I get only a drop or two on my finger, I rub all my fingers together so the oil is evenly distributed. I finger-comb one side of my hair, starting at the tips and working upwards. Then I dip my fingertip in the oil as before and repeat on the other side.

Heidi W.'s method for applying oil to dry calf-length hair.
    This thread has some links to information about oil use.

There's also a method of saturating your hair with oil, leaving it on for an hour or overnight, then washing out. Penetrating oils are particularly good for this. Read more here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=62757

Other threads to read:
    http://archive.longhaircommunity.com...ad.php?t=74214
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=30171

And here is the scientific article that started it all.
    earthnut, I just want to say a big thank you to you for your informative and helpful post.
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

In the case of a solid, scrape up some with your fingernail. Exactly how much will depend on your length and thickness, but you could start with a dollop that's about half as big as a pea. Spread it on your palms and run them down the length. If it isn't enough, add a tiny bit more as needed. It's a trial-and-error thing, but it shouldn't take you too long to get a feel for how much you need!

Also, I find my hair absorbs the stuff wonderfully. I currently oil when wet (instead of conditioner), and two or three days after washing my ends will happily soak up another dose of oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Theobroma View Post
    In the case of a solid, scrape up some with your fingernail. Exactly how much will depend on your length and thickness, but you could start with a dollop that's about half as big as a pea. Spread it on your palms and run them down the length. If it isn't enough, add a tiny bit more as needed. It's a trial-and-error thing, but it shouldn't take you too long to get a feel for how much you need!

Also, I find my hair absorbs the stuff wonderfully. I currently oil when wet (instead of conditioner), and two or three days after washing my ends will happily soak up another dose of oil.
    thanks! That's exactly how I do it but somehow I always miss it and give up too early I always feel I don't take enough and take some more, then of course, end up with stringy hair. Silly me! I should give it another go.

Just bought red palm oil (PolarCathy's recommendation ), put it in the fridge (it's warm today! ). Stared at the chili oil for minutes when I was in the shop and at the end didn't take it because it had soy oil in it. Have to make my own sometimes Huh Also I know it's a wrong thread but has anyone slapped coconut treacle on their head? I can't find much online... Want to take it the next time. If it won't be great on my head it sure must be great in my belly

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Horne View Post
    thanks! That's exactly how I do it but somehow I always miss it and give up too early I always feel I don't take enough and take some more, then of course, end up with stringy hair. Silly me! I should give it another go.I
    Hee hee! I should probably have added that it's really, really, REALLY easy to miscalculate the oil dosage when oiling wet hair. It feels as though the oil is just staying on your hands and not getting onto the hair at all -- and not until it's dry do you realise that, yup, it did get onto your hair and you are now a greaseball!

Might be safer to start with dry hair and observe how much oil you can use without greasing everything up, and only then starting to oil wet (and trying to use the same amount of oil that you needed when dry).

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I'm not a big fan of straight oil. I still use monoi from time to time because I love the smell so much. I usually mix my oils with leave in conditionner I use whatever oil I have nearby, but mostly coconut (monoi) or mineral oil. They both work great. I oil my face every day with a mix of avocado, sweet almond and jojoba oil, I usually wipe whatever left on my hand on my canopy. I helps smooth my bleach hair.

Length
    jaw/SL/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I use unrefined shea butter daily to condition my hair and smooth down fly aways. I also occasionally use coconut oil if i have any on hand
    Long hair/ natural hair care friendly hair stylist