Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of henna stink?

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Getting rid of henna stink?

Hi all you henna users out there!

I love the colour henna gives me, but I HATE the smell. I don't mind ignoring it during the actual application, but the smell never leaves my hair. Is this normal? Every time my hair gets wet, it smells almost as strong as when I'm rinsing the henna out the first day. Even in a chlorinated pool, I was horrified to be able to smell it as soon as my ends got wet!

I currently add instant coffee and cloves to my mix, but is there anything that can cut the smell out? No shampoo has been able to cover it up in the shower yet. Just makes it smell like a mix of shampoo and henna. I don't notice the smell when my hair is dry, but it's sickeningly strong when wet.

Am I doing something wrong?
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Default Re: Getting rid of henna stink?

No, u are not doing anything wrong. This is the smell of henna. Some people find that ground Ginger added to their henna really helps remove or camouflage the smell, I add Rosemary and lavender oils, five drops each and I am fine. But honestly u still smell the henna when hair gets wet and now I just totally loooove it .Well adding the oils gives it a sweeter smell than without. Hope that was helpful

Length
    ?/20.1/?
    Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Uh I have the same problem.The henna smell is so horrible I almost qualm (is that the correct word? like nausea, but not puking, the feeling just stays in the throat) whenever my hair gets wet. Unfortunately I don't have any solutions...

Will it stay for a long time? Or will it get better? (I did henna a week ago)

Royal Buness/Jedi Master Hypnotica's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Calf/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I have found that Tresseme Naturals conditioner almost takes away all henna smell when you mix it in your henna before dumping it on your hair.
    Emerald Green Henna Dragon, Guardian of ALL THINGS GREEN.

Oh, the humidity! woolyleprechaun's Avatar
    Length
    1inch/38/??
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I have never had a problem with the smell, but then again, I don't get my newly hennaed hair wet for at least a week after doing it. I find that adding essential oils, cardamom or cinnamon improves the smell. Personaly, I found that when I was using conventional products, I bacame accustomed to strong, artificial scents in my hair. When I switched to stretching washes, henna and oils, it took me an awfully long time to get used to the 'natural' smell of my hair.
    Making the henna up with grapefruit juice helps a lot. Once I used ACV in the mix and it smelled like vomit..... Never again!
    Now measuring in at 37 inches, or BCL. Classic by Christmas '15 is a real possibility! Yeah, that's my clothes horse in the pic. I'm that glam.
    Lady Maurelle of the Soggy Nation

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I'm jelly! I LOVE the smell of henna, but it only lasts a couple of wettings for me. Last time I did a henna gloss, and it didn't smell at all!
    (I mixed it into some Suave Naturals condish--Sweet pea, I think!)

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    pixie/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I feel you! Do you wash your hair often? I wash it every 3 days or so and after a while (a week, 2 weeks?) it just disappears.. But the first week aah! I just henna-ed my hair yesterday and my hair now is DRY and I still smell like a big ball of hay!

Have to go to the orthodontist tomorrow and normally I always henna a few days after my appointment, never before, because the smell makes me soooo self-conscious (they must think I live at a farm or something lol!). (Now my mother got to do it for me, which never happens so I HAD to Now finally everything is covered haha /random.)

I have also tried perfume oils and they worked for the mix itself (but gave me headaches because I had to use so much in order to overrule the henna-smell.. ) but as soon as I rinsed it out, my hair itself stinks of henna again. So.. I have no idea! It's just the only negative thing that comes with henna I guess!

pixie. bob. chin length. shoulder. collarbone. APL. BSL. Waist?
    My hair journal! & My portfolio

Length
    short/tlb/long
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

I found that adding cinnamon to the henna mixture helps a lot too.
    It also helps thickening the mix when you accidentally add too much water (which is how I found out about the smell thing in the first place).
    However, this may darken the color you get from henna a bit.

ETA: Just a theory, as I have never tried this myself, but tomatoes (mashed, or ketchup) are known for taking away smells as well. It helped a lot of people who tried ColorB4 to get rid of the rotten egg smell. Perhaps it would work for henna smell as well?
    Only, I do not know how this affects the color...
    Last edited by vamq; December 11th, 2012 at 06:31 AM.

Length
    pixie/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Be careful though, too much cinnamon can irritate the scalp! I found that out firsthand :P

pixie. bob. chin length. shoulder. collarbone. APL. BSL. Waist?
    My hair journal! & My portfolio

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Ginger's usually the thing to kill henna smell, and I've seen it recommended more than just about anything else. Like cinnamon, it might make your scalp feel hot, so use it carefully. In the future, mix a few spoonfuls of powdered ginger right into your henna.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!