Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edges and traction alopecia - Hairstyles?

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Edges and traction alopecia - Hairstyles?

Hi
    I have edges since childhood, my mom said, and, yes, I remember I always had them.
    They got better a bit since I take supplements.
    But I don't want them to get bigger.
    From what I have read you can even get traction alopecia from your hair being too long and too heavy.
    I have very thick,heavy hair and want to grow it to hip minimum.
    Which hairstyles are okay to not get a receding hairline?
    Did any of you experience that?
    I have read pretty much anything is bad: Braids, buns, ponytails... so, how can I wear my hair?
    Thank you
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: Edges and traction alopecia - Hairstyles?

I think that as long as you don't make your styles too tight you'll be fine. A good friend of mine got a receding hairline because of always having an extremely tight ponytail and since she loosened it up and switched to wearing her hair down every now and then it halted. Of course when you actually have alopecia it won't be that easy but it'll help.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I don't have traction alopecia, but I did have alopecia areata that sometimes pops up from time to time. One of the techniques I use to keep the buns from being too tight is that before I insert the hair fork to hold the bun, I make the bun and while holding the bun in place with a hand, I insert the fork under the scalp hair just behind my hairline and give it a good wiggle to loosen the hair pulled into the bun. I usually have to do it 3 or 4 times to get all "sides" between my bun and my hairline. I then secure it with a fork after the wiggle routine.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Iyashikei View Post
    I think that as long as you don't make your styles too tight you'll be fine. A good friend of mine got a receding hairline because of always having an extremely tight ponytail and since she loosened it up and switched to wearing her hair down every now and then it halted. Of course when you actually have alopecia it won't be that easy but it'll help.
    Thank you What do you think is too tight?
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    I don't have traction alopecia, but I did have alopecia areata that sometimes pops up from time to time. One of the techniques I use to keep the buns from being too tight is that before I insert the hair fork to hold the bun, I make the bun and while holding the bun in place with a hand, I insert the fork under the scalp hair just behind my hairline and give it a good wiggle to loosen the hair pulled into the bun. I usually have to do it 3 or 4 times to get all "sides" between my bun and my hairline. I then secure it with a fork after the wiggle routine.
    That sounds like a good method, to loosen the front hairs so that the bun doesn't pull on them. Thank you

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

The problem is I can never wear my hair down. In my job it has to be up, not even a loose ponytail or braid is possible.
    I haver read somewhere that you should sleep with your hair down to avoid traction alopecia but I can't do this. I'd wake up all the time from layig and pulling on my hair. I sleep with a side braid and change it often, left or right side.
    I have hair on my edges, but it's always short and fine compared to the rest of my hair. It's all like a bit longer babyhairs (1-3 inches) and they never grow long and full enough to cover the edges. It's always been like that. Even when I had a short bob and wore my hair down 24/7, they never grew in.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wusel View Post
    The problem is I can never wear my hair down. In my job it has to be up, not even a loose ponytail or braid is possible.
    I haver read somewhere that you should sleep with your hair down to avoid traction alopecia but I can't do this. I'd wake up all the time from layig and pulling on my hair. I sleep with a side braid and change it often, left or right side.
    I have hair on my edges, but it's always short and fine compared to the rest of my hair. It's all like a bit longer babyhairs (1-3 inches) and they never grow long and full enough to cover the edges. It's always been like that. Even when I had a short bob and wore my hair down 24/7, they never grew in.
    It's normal for the edge hair to be like that, everyone has shorter hair on the edges. Really, it is normal.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    It's normal for the edge hair to be like that, everyone has shorter hair on the edges. Really, it is normal.
    Yup - if it's growing consistently, it's not alopecia!
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Wusel View Post
    Thank you What do you think is too tight?
    Typically when it becomes uncomfortable it is too tight. I never had hair that was long enough to do ponytails so I can't really give you any advice on that but getting headaches seems like a red flag to me.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If it's that thick, and you want hip in the first place, I would hold off on bunning until you are in fact hip. I needed to wait until hip to bun with my iii hair. So I'm guessing it's going to take more length than BSL+!

A log roll is a pretty style and it's one I did at around BSL, with a nice big claw clip.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)