Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White dots on tips of hair

Default White dots on tips of hair

Hey everyone.

I just wanted to throw a question out to you guys, hoping to have some form of guidance.

Lately, i've been getting a whole load of these white dots on the ends of my hair and I can't seem to find what the issue is. Now I know the most common reason is breakage, or the fact that its a form of when a split end starts, but I don't seem to have any breakage in my hair at all.

I've read several posts from people who say that when the tug at the end of where these white dots are, it breaks or bends, but when I try this on my hair, it doesn't break or snap at all.

I don't use any heat on my hair, no chemicals, i don't use brushes, I am honestly very gentle on my hair and I oil my hair with coconut oil before I wash my hair.

I've started to see these white dots occurring more in the winter, they're not as visible in normal light but when I use a lamp close up on my hair, they're everywhere. What makes it even more obvious is that since I henna my hair often, these white dots are usually bright red and sparkle, so its very easy to spot and cut them. But the ends look straight and I don't see any split ends at all when I cut them off, so its really baffling.

What shall I do guys? They usually occur on my layers of my hair, but really on my length.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: White dots on tips of hair

The white dots are usually indications of a split caused by damage or dryness. Since It appears you are taking good care of your hair, the cause is probably dryness.

You might want to try using a drop or two of mineral oil (baby oil) on the ends to help combat dryness. For ease of application, try this method:

Put 2 or 3 small drops of MO in a small dish, then take a cotton swab and coat it with the oil. Then take the swab and cover your palms and fingers with the oil. Then run your palms down through your hair several times until the sheen has vanished from your palms. Be sure not to use too much baby oil.

MO is lightweight and does not leave any odor. It is easily removed upon the next shampoo. It also helps combat frizzies and is a great detangler. As with all things, it does not work overnight..and it works best on hair that has been clarified first. Use it on DAMP, not dripping wet hair. You can also use it on dry hair..but damp hair seems to be best. Many LHCers have used MO with great results.

By the way, the mineral oil should only contain MO plus a fragrance. Additives may cause breakouts.
    Last edited by Madora; November 24th, 2012 at 09:17 AM. Reason: additional information

Thanks for the reply Madora,

My hair doesn't seem to feel or look dry at all, I always make sure that I apply my leave in oil ( mostly coconut oil or argon oil) or a serum on my ends of my hair to keep them from drying or looking too frizzy after a wash, but I never need to do so because its always soft after I wash my hair since I do a prepoo.

Length
    BSL/Waist/TB
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

White dots on the very tips are sometimes the result of cutting with dull scissors.
    Last edited by allycat; November 24th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allycat View Post
    White dots on the very tips are sometimes the result of cutting with dull scissors.
    Yes, I think that might be the answer to the problem. Though my last trim wasn't pleasant though; the hairdresser used thinning shears to cut my hair when it was wet, I remember her pulling my hair and running the shears down my hair, it was so horrible.

Length
    APL/42/here!
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Donyyful View Post
    Yes, I think that might be the answer to the problem. Though my last trim wasn't pleasant though; the hairdresser used thinning shears to cut my hair when it was wet, I remember her pulling my hair and running the shears down my hair, it was so horrible.
    It sounds like this was definitely the culprit, then. Cutting the hair at that sort of downward angle is like shaving the tips with a razor, leaving a taper instead of a perpendicular cut at the end of the hair shaft. I used to do this to the bits of hair that framed my face (I got the idea from my hairdresser, who would do this as a finishing touch to my haircuts!). It definitely leaves the hair susceptible to damage.

I think moisturizing a bit, as suggested, and foregoing the tough shears during your next haircut will be enough to curtail them. Also, although it sounds like they are damage of some sort, it doesn't sound like particularly bad damage. I used to have tons of splits, white dots, fairy knots, etc., but they were a result of dye and heat tools. I still have a fair amount of them, but I'm amazed at how much of a difference diligent oiling and moisturizing has made! Especially in the cold winter months. I'd say as long as your hair isn't splitting, the white dots aren't too worrisome.

Cat Lady, Yarn Maker, Trail Seeker

Post Re: White dots on tips of hair

Quote Originally Posted by eyesofsummer View Post
    It sounds like this was definitely the culprit, then. Cutting the hair at that sort of downward angle is like shaving the tips with a razor, leaving a taper instead of a perpendicular cut at the end of the hair shaft. I used to do this to the bits of hair that framed my face (I got the idea from my hairdresser, who would do this as a finishing touch to my haircuts!). It definitely leaves the hair susceptible to damage.

I think moisturizing a bit, as suggested, and foregoing the tough shears during your next haircut will be enough to curtail them. Also, although it sounds like they are damage of some sort, it doesn't sound like particularly bad damage. I used to have tons of splits, white dots, fairy knots, etc., but they were a result of dye and heat tools. I still have a fair amount of them, but I'm amazed at how much of a difference diligent oiling and moisturizing has made! Especially in the cold winter months. I'd say as long as your hair isn't splitting, the white dots aren't too worrisome.
    Yes, I think I shall return back to trimming my hair myself now.

I just got my ends dusted today actually by my big brother; he said the white dots were at every corner he could see - cringes - I guess my new goal is to grow out my hair and then have a good trim as from my previous haircut, I have very uneven layers and all different lengths so it is definitely hard to cut them all at once. I will continue with my normal routine and S&D very regularly to rid these little buggers. grr.

Thanks for the comment!

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Its where split ends will appear. Mineral oil after you s&d your splits.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jacqueline101 View Post
    Its where split ends will appear. Mineral oil after you s&d your splits.
    Yes I applied abit of oil after I dusted. Thanks for the tip!

From my personal experience it is what's left of a broken off hair. I have been dilligently doing S&D for years and I know that if I find a white dot in the middle of a hair shaft I can take that shaft and just give a little tug and it breaks off right where the dot is. Leaving behind a hair with the white dot on the end.

I hope that as time goes by and I'm not blow drying or damaging it, there will be less of them.

Goal was a solid Classic with no thin ends but well... on to knee!