I would also suggest a paranda for an english braid. This keeps the braid more secure and adds volume if you need it.

Hair length:
Classic

Hair type:
1b M ii (straight with nape waves and on the thin side of ii, very thin at end)

Specific issues with hair type:
Slips out of everything. EVERYTHING. I get "fuzz outs" on any bun, style, braid, whatever unless it is damp.

Frequency of ponytail wearing:
Pretty much never.

Usual ponytail type:
When I did, low (nape). High ones always sag no matter how tight I get them.

What do you like most about ponytails or what features would you want replicated in a non-ponytail hairstyle?
Hair out of way, length visible.

What non-ponytail hairstyles have you tried, and what were the specific issues encountered that prevent you from wearing them? (please list)
English braids, dutch braids, french braids. Pigtails, twin braids, "redneck" braids (also called caterpillar braid...not really a braid...ponytail then length is secured every few inches with another elastic). Here this is it on my hair.

Most importantly: suggestions/links to good non-ponytail hairstyles (if any) that address your issue(s) -- or those that others have raised.
Here are some styles I have tried:

As I said before, the only thing that really works for me is my 4-3 strand braid and a paranda (last pic). The articles section seems to be down or I was going to try to find it for you!