Thread: Can too much vinegar cause itching?

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Can too much vinegar cause itching?

I know from the henna forums that too much lemon juice can cause itching. I have been trying to track down the culprit for my itchiness and wondering if the ACV vinegar rinses are it.

I didnt initially have any problems ( I started out using an organic Braggs ACV with a low dilution) then to save cost I switched to a basic store brand ACV and wasnt paying attention to my dilution. I just kept putting a little more in when it looked low. I think I might have made it too strong and that is what is causing my itching?

I did an SMT last night and finished with an ACV rinse which I dont usually do and this morning it itches like crazy.

Just curious if anyone has had this happen.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

Default Re: Can too much vinegar cause itching?

It would make sense if that was the culprit, the acid could have a drying effect to your scalp if you are using it in too high of a percentage. Try cutting back a bit on your ratio and see if that helps.
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I've never had ACV rinses cause me any itching, in fact, it has solved many an itch problem for me, but I use a well diluted mix.

I think that any substance, if too acidic or too alkaline could cause scalp problems, including itchiness.

Just pay more attention to your dilution, and you should be fine.

Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

yes it can, whenever I use a vinegar rinse my scalp itches terribly, even if its strongly diluted.
    Lady Lavandula of the Nighttime Fields in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    26/27-30/??
    Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Yep, it sure can. I've always had stinging issues with vinegar rinses, no matter the dilution. Recently I've discovered that vinegar and honey in the rinse eliminate the problem for me, even if it runs over my face (not in my eyes, of course). I'm using 1 tsp. each ACV and honey in 1 pint of warm water.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I just tried a vinegar rinse last night to hopefully help with itching, but it didn't. However, it didn't make my scalp itching worse.

It's been hot; my scalp has been sweating. That's probably the problem. Maybe for you, too?

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Thank you for the replies. Thank you flaxen for sharing your mix. I think I will try adding the honey. I didnt want to give up vinegar rinses because I really rely on them when I use poo bars especially. Its hard to pin down what may be causing something when you are trying alot of different things. Your input really helped me figure this out so I can adjust my mix. Live and learn I guess...lol
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.