Thread: Chance discovery - possibly new natural hair dye?

Length
    47"/BSL/32"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Default Chance discovery - possibly new natural hair dye?

An interesting coincidence happened last night. I was googling suppliers of soap nuts, because I wanted to know if they carried the halves without the seeds inside. The seeds contain some dark stain that I didnt want to wash my stuff together with. Then I read some about walnut shells, which are usually added into dark hair dyes, and then I went to the kitchen to make dinner. I had bought some fresh, still green pepper (actual pepper, not chillies) and went on ripping them off the stalks so I could put the surplus into my freezer.

These are what I'm talking about:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4l7nNe0GC_...0/DSC_0045.JPG

Not ten minutes later I noticed my fingertips went black and also my finger nails! It was a very dark stain. Nothing buring like chillies or so, just a stain. I dont know if the dye came from the peppercorns themselves or the stalks they were growing on. It could not be washed off with detergents, soaps or olive oil etc. Today, more than 24 hours later, the dye seems unchanged. It wouldnt surprise me if this could be used as a hair dye. The color was coolish dark brown. I think it would be possible to get it almost black. Considering white or grey hair is rather difficult to make dark, this might actually fill a demand for a friendly natural dye. What do you think of this?

I thought this was really interesting. Perhaps someone would like to try it? I dont, because I like my hennahead for the time being, otherwise I would have!

/ CMG

compulsive stuff-maker walterSCAN's Avatar
    Length
    15"/~TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Chance discovery - possibly new natural hair dye?

Fascinating! Do you still have any of the stalks to see if it was them? This isn't anything I've ever heard of before, and I did a lot of searching for dark brown natural dyes before I committed to henna red. I wonder if it would take a lot of peppercorns/ stems (whichever it is) to make enough dye, and how you'd go about making and applying it...

ETA--> Just found this. I'm still reading it, but thought I'd go ahead and post it now.

ETA 2--> Finished reading it, and I'm still curious about the stems vs peppercorn question, as in, whether the dye might be more potent in green peppercorns and/ or stems.
    Last edited by walterSCAN; January 31st, 2014 at 07:57 PM.

(hennahead)

Length
    1.5"/40/41.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Thant is just too cool. If I wasn't a HennaHead, I would certainly try at least a strand test. Hoping someone will try it. Even doing it on shed hairs would give us some idea as to what color results might be achieved.

Perhaps the green pepper would give more of a brown tone rather than straight black? Hmmmm......
    Currently at TBL, yearning for CLASSIC by 2015, then who knows?
    Laydye Aurora of the Spynning Fybres in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

compulsive stuff-maker walterSCAN's Avatar
    Length
    15"/~TBL/FTL
    Type
    1a/F/ii

That was my thought too, Hairitic regarding the green peppercorns... Of course, I'm still wondering if it's the berries or the stems that contain most of the dye. My google searches haven't turned up much other than the one article I linked above.

(hennahead)

Length
    1.5"/40/41.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

cmg; Did you grow or buy your Green Peppercorns? If you bought them, can you give us a link? TIA
    Currently at TBL, yearning for CLASSIC by 2015, then who knows?
    Laydye Aurora of the Spynning Fybres in the Order of The Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Wow, that is interesting! I wonder if it would burn, even with the yogurt base... I think back to some of the scary photos in the cinnamon lightening thread