Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silk bonnets / pillowcases

Length
    APL/WL/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

Post Silk bonnets / pillowcases

Who has long term experiences sleeping on silk, satin, or a substitute? Did you notice a difference? If so what?
    APL // BSL// WL / HL // BCL // TBL // CL // FTL // MTL // KL
    Participating in: No trimming 2024

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Silk bonnets / pillowcases

I use silk bonnets every night and that for decades.
    Well, I think it works great for me and the benefit is amazing.
    On one hand it keeps my hair safely stored away and on the other hand it is not getting messed up and no damaging will take place.
    Sometimes when I am cooking fish or fried something I am wearing a bonnet too, just for protecting my hair from strong smells.
    So yes I can see very nice benefits.
    Regards
    Fiorentina
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    Chin/APL/Class
    Type
    2b/F/ii

I have a satin pillowcase from Kitsch, and the satin sleeper from Moonstone Seven. I like both -the satin pillowcase is good for my skin, too, and it means if I'm ever too tired to put my hair up, I can just braid it and the satin pillowcase won't be too rough overnight.

I held off on buying the satin sleeper for a long time, because I didn't want to pay the $70 for what I thought was essentially another bonnet. Turns out I like it a lot better than a regular bonnet for holding/keeping the "pineapple" shape overnight.
    long hair is self care
    Chin ♡ Collarbone ♡ APL ♡ BSL ♡ Mermaid ♡ Waist ♡ Hip ♡ TBL ♡

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I've used both but I don't find bonnets very comfy. It's the elastic on my forehead. If I pull the bonnet back further on my head, it just slips off. I've been using satin pillowcases for about 20 years or more now and I don't like the feel of a "normal" pillowcase on my hair - I can almost feel the damage happening with the harsher texture on my delicate hairs.
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Great question! I was wondering if satin pillowcase works, what's the point of adding a silk bonnet? A girl I follow on Youtube (Organically Anna) did a video about hair growth myths or something like that, she said she didn't notice a huge difference using cotton or silk pillowcase, I own a couple of satin/silk pillowcases but haven't bought those from Amazon yet but I haven't noticed a huge difference as well, or maybe I haven't paid attention...

Length
    pixie/short/?
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by eyecandy View Post
    Great question! I was wondering if satin pillowcase works, what's the point of adding a silk bonnet? A girl I follow on Youtube (Organically Anna) did a video about hair growth myths or something like that, she said she didn't notice a huge difference using cotton or silk pillowcase, I own a couple of satin/silk pillowcases but haven't bought those from Amazon yet but I haven't noticed a huge difference as well, or maybe I haven't paid attention...
    I notice a difference when it comes to tangles, but not growth. Unless maybe lack of breakage counts as +growth?
    In a grow and cut cycle...

Length
    19/19/37
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

I like satin pillowcases because of how comfortable they are. They probably only make a small difference in hair health, but I think it does help.

I have been using satin bonnets and pillow case for that last 2 years and I definitely think my hair looks better and is way less tangled when I wake up. I have just a small improvement on the frizz front.

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Many moons ago, I received a handmade silk pillowcase from a fellow LCHer during a Secret Santa swap and I still use it to this day. It has absolutely made my hair so much healthier and I wake up with frazzled/dry hair far less frequently than I used to. The cooling effect of the silk is a wonderful bonus, since I tend to overheat while I sleep.

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Personally I canīt see the point of using both a satin pillowcase and a satin bonnet.
    I only use a satin bonnet and it makes a huge difference in reducing tangles and damage/breakage to my hair.
    But itīs cold where I live for most of the year, so while itīs nice that a satin bonnet keeps my head warm, I can imagine that in a different, warm environment I would need a satin pillowcase instead, because wearing a hat during the night would be too suffocating.