Page 1 of 2812 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Wear hair up for a month/few months/year challenge!

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Default Wear hair up for a month/few months/year challenge!

I know there were quite a few of us involved in these challenges. And although I did not start any of them, I figured we could use a new, consolidated Wear Hair Up for x-amount of time challenge thread. Hadn't seen one pop up yet, so here it is!

Everyone seemed to have their own goals and things they wanted to achieve through the challenge. Some wanted to practice benign neglect and forget about their hair for a bit, others wanted to learn new updos, some wanted to stop playing with it, others were in it for the protection of their strands, some were just in for a personal challenge. I fall into all of these categories.

Oh! Rules! They seemed to vary from challenge to challenge, and person to person, and they were rarely rigid, but here's the general idea:
    Hair up = updo of some sort that requires all of your hair (I don't think bangs/fringe count). Half-ups don't count as up.
    Most all challenges included room to move when it came to drying your hair. Not everyone likes to put their hair up when it's still more than damp. I know I don't.
    In the year challenge, the common goal seemed to be 95% of the time (so ~12 days off).
    Most of the month/few month challenges seemed to be going for every single day and would tack an extra day onto their challenge if they wore their hair down for a special occasion.

My challenge started January 7th, 2008. Originally, I thought I'd go for a month, learn a few new 'dos, keep my hair protected, and be excited about new growth after a month. Then I started to enjoy the challenge of waking up every day and saying "Hmm... What should I do with my hair today?" and wanted to go for a year. DBF vetoed the one year challenge. I'll still be wearing it up at work for the most part when he comes home as it's easier to keep it from tangling with my headset this way, but he loves my hair down and I love him too much to deny him seeing it down often when he's been in Iraq for 15 months.

So mine's become a "Wear hair up until DBF comes home from Iraq" challenge. And today is day 60.

It's in a french braid with the ends tucked under and secured by a scrunchie as it's comfy and I was lazy.

Not my best, but I hardly see anyone now that I've started nights.

So yes. Join in if you want to and aren't already involved. Those who are involved, this is the place to keep us posted and seek support on those "My hair won't cooperate and I miss the way it falls on my shoulders/back/bum/etc!" days. I'm sure we all have them.

Who wants to play?

Length
    pixie/clsc/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I was just about to post exactly this, Smokie. You know what they say about grape mimes. No, wait...

I started the "hair up for a month" challenge on January first, and I decided some time in February to go ahead and do the year-long challenge since I'd had it up every day, anyway. So, that'd make today day 68 for me (wow; it doesn't seem like that long).

My own personal challenge rules are to keep my hair up except when it's drying, when I'm doing formal ritual, and when my husband makes puppy eyes at me until I agree to wear it unbraided to bed.

Today, my hair is up in a peacock twist held with my trusty black-and-white leopard print Ficcare (my current favorite hair toy).
    Lady Pyracantha, Firethorn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    chin ~ shoulder ~ APL ~ BSL ~ waist ~ hip ~ TBL ~ classic ~ FTL ~ knee ~ term
    I like big buns and I cannot lie

I guess I have been a member of this group for ages, since I hardly ever wear my hair down anymore since I started growing my hair. I fear tangles and such. I usually have it up in my standard bun while waiting for my hair to get longer so I can do the figure 8. My hairtoy of choice varies.

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

rhosyn_du! Hi! Now there's a siggy I've missed seeing! Good going on the 68 days.

You reminded me that I forgot to mention my personal rules. Was too busy trying to remember the general rules.
    Mine's up till DBF comes home, of course. Half-ups don't count. Bangs can be loose. Slathered in henna/DT/whathaveyou and covered with a showercap/turbie counts as an updo. Exceptions are when drying (until dry to photograph if needing to take a length or color while still curly shot) and when washing/applying goop. Hair will also be allowed down for a day when I go for the "He's coming home next week!" trim.

So basically, I'm going for 5.5ish months and allowing myself one off day. Two if I feel like I desperately need a trim before May. I may slack off in the last week or two to experiment with ways to give myself big loose curls for extra length the day he comes home. Hehe.

ETA: eadwine! Welcome to the bunch!... I think? It's good to see you too!
    Last edited by Smokie; March 8th, 2008 at 01:57 AM.

I never joined on the old threads, figuring since I wore it up all the time anyway there is hardly a challenge? I did follow things though!

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

yep i have joined the year one. I counted on my days from the month one...i think i will be finished by this october or something?
    My hair is currently drying but will be in a briad for bed. good idea i was not sure to start a new thread on this or wait until the old one is up so i keep track of my day number! I think i am up to 140 days roughly. I know i was on 90 something the other month....lol.

eta- Here are the links to my last day end of 1 yr hair up challenge!
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2260
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...postcount=2281

What I found/learnt by doing this, and my progress, as well as photos :P
    Last edited by tiny_teesha; November 15th, 2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: eta- to post end result!
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    17/29ish/40dry
    Type
    3b/F/M/ii

Teesha! Hi! I've missed you!

Glad to hear you're still going strong and glad to see you back.

I'm still at work (it's 630am here) so it's still in my tucked french braid. Might get in a workout, have a beer, and fall asleep in it too. Hehe.

Length
    14/37/??
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I'm the same as Eadwine, it's not really much of a challenge for me as I've never really worn my hair loose once it got below my shoulders. It got to just above shoulder in April last year and I've worn it up since. But I will be looking in on this thread to get suggestions

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I'm in the first week of my month long challenge. Yep, I'm back.

Day 6 is a very wet cinnabun with clippies under a bandana. I'm going to be working with children today so it's going to be safely tucked away. Besides, the theme is the wild west, so the bandana is perfect!

Length
    ShL/WL!!!/Clas.
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I was on day four, then I kinda forgot about it when LHC crashed, but I will start again! Today my hair is just in a french braid, since I'm just cleaning and stuff around the house.
    CaraLynn
    For He's more than just my Saviour, He's my best friend forever, He's the light that's in my soul.