Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uneven Hair

Length
    16/22/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Uneven Hair

Hey guys. So happy to finally be able to be back on LHC!!!
    Anyway... last Saturday I decided to get a hair cut and the hairdresser told me that my hair grew so unevenly that I had to cut an inch off to make it even, and I know my hair does not have much damage to need that much off besides the unevenness. When I asked her why does my hair always grow uneven, she said that its probably because I sleep on this side of my hair throughout the night causing it to break and grow slower. As of right now I sleep with my hair down. Do you think if I started to sleep with my hair up it would help with the unevenness. I would sleep in a braid but I don't know how to braid hair and I don't know any other protective styles to wear. What should I do? Any other advice how to help the unevenness?

Length
    24???/38?/37
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Uneven Hair

Whenever my mom used to cut my hair at home, we would always notice that one side was longer, every time. One side of my hair would always grow faster. Then that side would just get trimmed a bit more than the other.

If you don't notice any thinness or breakage on the shorter side, I wouldn't just assume that's what causing it. It could very well just grow faster or slower on one side. Kinda like one foot or boob might be bigger than the other? IDK

Length
    BSL/BSL/CL
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Wearing it up might help. It might also be genetics. Not all of your hair grows exactly at the same length. But the extremity of this varies with each person.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    ~sldr/18/22-25
    Type
    2a/F/ii

It's more likely that it's genetics. I know that with my body, my shoe sizes differ between my right and left foot (my right foot being almost an inch bigger when it comes to certain shoes).

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Yep. My hair grows longer on the left. Always has. I don't fight to keep my hair perfectly even all the time. It ends up being about 2 inches difference over time, so when I progress 5-6", I even it up. I have curly hair though, so maybe that's why I can just shrug it off. It's easy to hide.

Maybe more updos, not to protect, but to distract from the fact that's it not perfectly even? And then cut back maybe once a year to even up?
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyCap View Post
    Maybe more updos, not to protect, but to distract from the fact that's it not perfectly even? And then cut back maybe once a year to even up?
    I second this. My mum used to trim my hair for years, and it didn't matter that it was never perfectly even because I never wore it loose.

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think it is possible to cause more mechanical breakage on one side than the other, but it doesn't seem like sleeping would be the main source. I think it would be because of things that cause serious abrasion, like seatbelts, car doors, chairs, purse or bag straps.

I started braiding my hair for sleeping. I do the simplest thing possible, bringing all my hair forward over one shoulder and making a lose English braid, that I don't even secure at the end. I think you could easily master that if you wanted to. It doesn't have to look neat as you'll be asleep, so I don't even detangle before doing this braid, just separate three sections and braid.

I don't know if it helps against damage, but once I got in the habit, i found it a lot more comfortable to sleep with my hair contained.

On the other hand, uneven growth patterns are pretty typical. Protective styles for day wear or sleeping won't make a difference with that.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Hair grows according to a certain cycle. Some hairs fall out sooner than others..so hair might tend to be longer on one side than the other. Perfectly normal.

If you want to have an even hemline, then cutting will keep it even.

Wearing it up is a good idea..but be sure you do not braid it too tightly. And stay away from ponytails!

Length
    16/22/35
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

thanks for the advice guys! I'm discouraged that its normal and genetics lol I just wish I didn't have to "even out my hair" every time I get it trimmed which is every 10-12 weeks. I know I could just get a trim without evening my hair but then it will eventually be noticable and I'll have to cut even more off all at once which I sure don't want so I guess I just have to suck it up

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I'd second the trimming to even it and keep it there. If there is no damage maybe its just normal.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com