Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could do it all over again...

Question If you could do it all over again...

So I chopped my hair off about a year ago into a 'pixie' cut. Yes it has advantages but I'm starting to miss my locks . If you could start all over again what tips, tricks, suggestions would or could you give me? Currently my hair is about 2.5 inches at its longest length. My hair seems to do well with coconut oil (I hate the smell it leaves tho may try to add something to it). That's really all I've tried. I think my hair is 1bMi. I'm caucasian with what I consider fine strands but a head full of hair (although my ponytails have never been 'thick' in diameter I don't seem to be lacking for fullness). Seriously ladies I need all the help I can get and would prefer the opinion and guidance from those who have been there and done that. I appreciate your time and any input.
    Also I only use semi dyes. I'm early 30s and have a LOT of solid white friggin hair. Not grey..WHITE. Not ready to sport white hair yet so those with color advice please add your two cents too!

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Default Re: If you could do it all over again...

If I could start again, I'd use coconut oil as a leave-in moisturizer and detangler from the start, and I would be super gentle with my hair. I'd wear it in protective updos as soon as it was long enough.

In reality, I was far too rough (and lazy) brushing and detangling. After I gave up using nasty elastics with metal bits (that destroyed my hair), I wore a braid for years, thinking that would be enough to protect my hair. I didn't realize that most of my breakage was occuring where the braid rubbed against my collar. As a result, I have a noticeable taper from my waist to my tailbone that will take at least another two years to grow out while I maintain my current length.

Good luck with your growth!

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

If I could do it all over again I'd never cut my hair into a shag in 08. It was mid back or nearing it.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    26"/31"/60"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy shares in a coconut oil company!
    And I'd never have cut my hair, ever. Just trim the ends. Here I am, a *ahem* lady of very mature years, and I have no clue as to what my terminal length is. So from now on, it's coconut oil (with castor oil for the overnight soaks) and no chops.
    Lady Cookie of the Chopin Realm in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MzCarrie View Post
    So I chopped my hair off about a year ago into a 'pixie' cut. Yes it has advantages but I'm starting to miss my locks . If you could start all over again what tips, tricks, suggestions would or could you give me? Currently my hair is about 2.5 inches at its longest length. My hair seems to do well with coconut oil (I hate the smell it leaves tho may try to add something to it). That's really all I've tried. I think my hair is 1bMi. I'm caucasian with what I consider fine strands but a head full of hair (although my ponytails have never been 'thick' in diameter I don't seem to be lacking for fullness). Seriously ladies I need all the help I can get and would prefer the opinion and guidance from those who have been there and done that. I appreciate your time and any input.
    Also I only use semi dyes. I'm early 30s and have a LOT of solid white friggin hair. Not grey..WHITE. Not ready to sport white hair yet so those with color advice please add your two cents too!
    Start off with hair of one length. It is easier to arrange and easier to S and D.

Less is more!!! I can't emphasize this too strongly.

A clean scalp is a healthy scalp.

Wash your hair when it needs it.

Brushing daily with a pure boar bristle brush is one of the best things you can do for your hair (be sure to detangle with a wide tooth comb first)!

Stay away from harmful things: heat of any kind, straightening

Use a drop or 2 of mineral oil to keep your hair moisturized. It is also a great detangler and helps tame frizzies.

Learn how to wear your hair up.

Refrain if at all possible from wearing ponytails. They are not hair friendly for a number of reasons.

Eat healthy and try daily scalp massage. Above all, have patience! Good luck!

Length
    10.5"/CBL/WL
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

If I could do it all again, I wouldn't have bleached my hair at the start of freshman year. God, that was a terrible idea!

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

If I could start over I would have taken that straightening iron, THROWN IT ON THE GROUND, jumped on it, kicked it out of the window, gone out to find it and lit it on fire.
    Hand made crystal jewelry and art: https://spellofhexu.com/
    SL - SL - SL - SL - APL - BSL - WL - HIP?

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMarx View Post
    If I could start over I would have taken that straightening iron, THROWN IT ON THE GROUND, jumped on it, kicked it out of the window, gone out to find it and lit it on fire.
    Same here. And I would have known better than to use hair mousse and then brushed it out dry. I had spectacular curls, but the damage from brushing it out (thereby ripping the hair strands that had been glued together apart) was indescribeable. It took me well over a year of thorough S&D sessions to get rid of it, and now I have to live with the taper the broken off hairs have left me with.

Length
    17.5"/22.5"/TB
    Type
    1b/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by Madora View Post
    Refrain if at all possible from wearing ponytails. They are not hair friendly for a number of reasons.
    Not even with a satin scrunchie, placed in various places (High, low, mid)?

Length
    TBL/TBL/KL
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I wouldn't have used henna. lol. And wouldn't have chopped so much.
    Lady Amber, High Priestess of Viva Naturalis, in the order of The Long Haired Knights.
    Using Curly Girl approved haircare... but being utterly neglectful of my curls....
    Longest Length: TBL Current: TBL Goal: Knee Length